Welcome!

Options
If you have stumbled across this group, then welcome! I have been working the night shift (10pm to 6am) at an assisted living in Southern Vermont for about three months now. Apart from the reconfiguring of my entire life to match my new schedule, I have had the hardest time figuring out my diet. I gained almost ten pounds when I first began. I lost those ten pounds, but have struggled to keep them off. My goal is to go even lower than those ten pounds.

Use this Group for encouraging each other. If you have any helpful tips on nighttime diet etiquette, please share!

Way to go Night team!!!!! :happy:

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I have been working the night shift (10pm to 6am) at an assisted living in Southern Vermont for about three months now.

Hey I'm from Vermont as well!

I work 7pm-7am.

I've been working nights for about 5 years. I'm pretty used to the schedule and I haven't had much trouble losing weight while working nights. It's all about finding a schedule and what works for you! :smile:
  • kmill81385
    Options
    I do think that being back on here is going to really help. At least I have a way to keep track. They make a lot of REALLY good food at my workplace, and they give us free access to the kitchen as long as we don't open anything new.

What part of Vermont are you from?
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    What part of Vermont are you from?

I live in northern Vermont. Near Burlington.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    i have been on night for over 10 yrs and love it....i know im a sick -o.... but something that i hate is the snacking part.... its so hard to break but im working on it....:wink:
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I love night shift as well. Been doing it for the last 3.5 years. 11pm to 7am in Calgary, AB. It's the scheduling "can't's" as it disturbs the weird daylight dwellers that triggered me from 310 to 330.

Nights nothing is open, and it's nice and quiet, but when the munchies hit... When I get a little tired around 4am, I want a little something to get through that hour.
  • bgoodtn
    bgoodtn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try working third shift in a gas station convenience store! Between the junk food and the breakfast I make every morning, I probably put on a dozen over 6 months. On the 1st, I decided to make a major change. I've gone Vegetarian (borderline Vegan) and already feel better. Listening to podcasts of healthy living has helped.
  • suehawk1
    suehawk1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I work numerous shifts but mostly nights. The worst is when we go from nights to days with only a couple of days in between. I actually have to take sleeping pills just to transition. I find it hard to cook before work and I go straight to bed when I get home after a night shift so fast food or protein shakes tend to be my staple. I am currently trying the Visalus 90 challenge which includes substituting a shake for 2 meals of the day. Here's hoping it works. I don't like microwaved food so that really limits me.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been on night shift now for 1 1/2 yrs with the hours of 11p-7:30a at the hospital. Its hard to get sufficient sleep with little ones and balance eating right. When tired I go straight snacking mode to stay awake. I also have a horrible coffee addiction :-( I average 5-5 1/2 hrs of sleep a day because I have to get up to pick kids up from school and the sitter. So cheers to the all nighters here!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    hi. I been working nights since March of 2009. 11pm-7:30am. I started Dec. 2009 on my weight loss journey when I discovered I had diabetes type II. It was difficult at first but has become easier over the years. It also helps being single and having no kids is a huge plus for me. I can understand how difficult it can be with husband/wife/comitted relationship and little ones. Also my line of work allows me up to 30 min break times which allows me to get away from my desk to go outside and walk/jog/whatever. I've been on a gym kick lately. I pack my gym bag with clothes and just hit the gym right after work. Nice to meet everyone! :smile:
  • chipmunk70
    chipmunk70 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Up until 7 years ago I worked 2 nights, 2 days, 4 days off, pattern for 10 years. Then 7 years ago I just went to days at a different place, 2 years ago I switched back to working nights permanently, first of all on a 4 on 4 off pattern, and now on a 4 on 3 off pattern !!

I work in a residential school for children with Autism. In february I got promotion to assistant team manager, and that means on 2 of my 4 nights I'm in charge, which involves a lot of walking around and sometimes running to emergency calls etc. so that has helped, the other nights i'm stuck in a housebase and often sitting down at a desk on the computer catching up with my paperwork.

I started my weight loss journey (this time around) end of june 2010 at 319 lbs - now down to 224 lbs - so 95 lbs gone so far, still a way to go though.

Glad to see a group for those of us that work the night shift :-)
  • IamBrande
    Options
    HI Everyone!!!!

I work 630pm-7am at the hospital, and i love this shift!! I miss very little family time! I sleep while everyone is in school or at work... i am up and home for dinner/homework, etc... By the time I leave...everyone is winding down to go to bed.

As far as weigth loss... i just plan for it... i ALWAYS take my own food, and I drink water water water.... remember to take your vitamin supplements, to keep your body getting what it needs!!!

As far as working out... I work 3 - 12hr shifts a week, i got to the gym on my days off, and run on my treadmill here on the days I work, "IF" i have the energy.... other wise.. i stick to a 4 day a week work out schedule!!