Check in!

Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Hi everyone.

I am 41 and reasonably fit and in decent shape. I have never had knee trouble in my life until about 6 weeks ago. Either the 30 day shred or 10 minutes running (I am not a runner) dealt to my knees and I had physio and avoided high impact for 4 weeks. Last weekend I did session ONE of c25k and have stuffed my tendons below the knees again. Was shocked such a small run did this. Back to physio, getting assessment biomechanics and back to low impact. Has anyone else dealt with this or have any miracle cures as this is totally frustrating me! Even long walks require icing of my knees afterward.

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Starting the knee group was a good idea. I'm hoping to get some good tips here, too.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Knee pain is my life and has been for most of it. I have written a lot of information about dealing with it on my blog. One thing I've finally figured out after years of extreme pain and arthritis, it can get better. It may never go away completely, but if you do the right things, you can improve them and decrease the pain level.
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried any strapping methods with sports tape?

Maybe see if they have any suggestions on strapping for knee support on the Elastoplast website.

Also exercises that strengthen the quad muscle's more, often takes the stress off the knee.

I too have only just started getting a lot of knee pain, with more exercise. I wish I'd known my issues earlier, so I'd not needed to deal with all this pain. As I have had issues with my knee's since I was 17 and I am now 32.

What my issue is, is called: Patellofemoral pain syndrome. For me it's a tracking issue. The joint under my knee cap, is not running on the track quite right. So I'm told to strengthen my quads to help correct this.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Have any of you tried any strapping methods with sports tape?

Maybe see if they have any suggestions on strapping for knee support on the Elastoplast website.

Also exercises that strengthen the quad muscle's more, often takes the stress off the knee.

I too have only just started getting a lot of knee pain, with more exercise. I wish I'd known my issues earlier, so I'd not needed to deal with all this pain. As I have had issues with my knee's since I was 17 and I am now 32.

What my issue is, is called: Patellofemoral pain syndrome. For me it's a tracking issue. The joint under my knee cap, is not running on the track quite right. So I'm told to strengthen my quads to help correct this.

My physio mentioned that on Friday and said I don't have it. Tendons for me! Having a running assessment next week to look at biomechanics. Guarantee there will be something show up.
  • linjcas
    Options
    Hi I am 64 years old and have had a great deal of bilateral knee pain for 16 years. My biggest problem is walking on hard surfaces. Needless to say after losing 50 lbs my pain has diminished some. I have another 50 to go and I am sure it will get better. I have arthritis in both knees. I have to admit that in younger days I have fallen on my knees several times and I think a lot of it comes from repeated jarring. Oh well as they say now It is what it is. Hope everyone has a great day.:smile:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

im 55 and also have knee isuess(both knees)had surgery on the right but not the left and both have arthritis,,,strengthening the quads and hamstrings, both were exercises that i used to do (and should still do)at PT...and weight lose is very important as well ...good luck
  • poulingail
    Options
    I'm a 60 years old woman with some arthritis, all over. Using MFP for over 6 wks. The past couple of weeks I was noticing one knee was pretty fussy about how I placed my foot when I walk for fitness. I obeyed the direction it gave me and was careful to place my foot just so. This week, the knee revolted and gave me more pain and eventually swelling, a lot! I had to stop the walking until it calms down and up the anti-inflammatory meds. Saw the doc yesterday and he commented on my weight loss, over 10 lbs since he last saw me. He doesn't want me to stop moving. Right! It's frustrating when knee pain interferes with our program for a healthier life.
    Thanks for the group.
    Anyone found a replacement activity?
  • FoodWarrior
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm Missy and started having knee problems a couple years ago. I went to the doc and he said I have arthritis. At 40???? I'm 42 now and have good days and some bad days. Sometimes I have to use a cane. It has really interfered with my exercising. I was able to do a treadmill for an hour before this and now I'm lucky if I can do it at all. I do use a stationary bike. It's a lot easier on the knees. I'm about 60 lbs overweight so hopefully losing some weight will help.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm 30 and have chronic knee pain- such a bummer! I have patella alta with a lateral patellar tilt- which means my knee cap rubs constantly and causes inflammation.

One thing I highly recommend is yoga! Especially for arthritis pain. When I had my MRI done they noted that there wasn't nearly as much damage done to my cartiledge as they expected. I attribute that to my years of yoga.

I also am working with a nutritionist to figure out what foods could be contributing to my painful inflammation.

I also recommend icing after each time you exercise, and using traumeel.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations since mine is recent? I have always tried to do exercises to prevent knee injuries but I guess I did something wrong and have no idea what. Last Saturday I did spin class as usual not new for me. Came home napped and started cleaning. While cleaning I heard a pop but I 'creak' all the time so I took as age. Next morning I wake up and knee is SWOLLEN!!!!!!!! I can walk but do things but if I try toexercise like yester day I did elliptical and I did it easy...pain today. So upset and depressed. I like exercise. I am a 'FIGHTER!" Siiiiiiiiigh...I know gotta see my doctor but where from there?
  • Pam3
    Options
    I'm a 60 years old woman with some arthritis, all over. Using MFP for over 6 wks. The past couple of weeks I was noticing one knee was pretty fussy about how I placed my foot when I walk for fitness. I obeyed the direction it gave me and was careful to place my foot just so. This week, the knee revolted and gave me more pain and eventually swelling, a lot! I had to stop the walking until it calms down and up the anti-inflammatory meds. Saw the doc yesterday and he commented on my weight loss, over 10 lbs since he last saw me. He doesn't want me to stop moving. Right! It's frustrating when knee pain interferes with our program for a healthier life.
    Thanks for the group.
    Anyone found a replacement activity?

biking(stationary kind)was what i did at PT and what i do now(spin and stationary bike)...walking for long periods takes a toll....good luck
  • saraannefrazer
    saraannefrazer Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im 21 and i dislocated and fractured my knee cap (patella) when i was 14. I have a lot of trouble running and have to be carfull of hoiw i move in everyday life.

As my patella got pulled back when i disclocated it i have lost all my catlidge in my right knee so it can get quiote uncomfortable as my bones constantly rub together.

i get arthritis in my knee because of this as well.

Has anyone else had this injury?
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Tried to get referal today oh but I need to come in okay but I am inpain and the appointment is not until 2 weeks? What?!?!?
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    I got the referral!
  • emmab0902
    Options
    I got the referral!
    Woohoo!
  • Pam3
    Options
    I got the referral!

good luck, hoping for good news:flowerforyou:
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! From a fellow knee sufferer!
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I found this group by accident. I suffer from knee pain. I had a torn meniscus repaired a few years ago. I believe I have arthritis pain but not enough for daily meds. Since August I have started working out regularly and have had more pain, nothing really bad just alot of soreness. I went to the dr and he said it didn't sound like arthritis but a ligament problem. I am just pushing through the pain. I ice it and take ibuprofen when needed. I have stiffness if I sit very long and when I wake up the dr said that is the arthritis. So thats my story.

I am wondering if anyone has used a knee strap. I saw one at the store recently and was thinking about trying it.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Most of you will be up to speed on my knee issues! A horrible thought has just dawned on me! Before I started my running at the gym, I did a 7 minutes run just round my kids school field, and had no problems afterwards. I now recall walking to the school and looking down and thinking "feck I forgot to wear my new shoes" - instead I had my old worn out warehouse ones on. Could it be simply that these shoes have caused my issues? I know I do have some biomechanical glitches but could it be the shoes are the culprits here???? I can't believe my old had it knackered out ones would be fine and these newer costly ones are not good for me!!!
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Shoes can make a difference. It did for me with running. I got X-rays yesterday guys!