Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Good Books and Movies

Replies

• lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    I love all of the Sarah walters books and the tv adaptations of the same..... But my all time favourite films is Bound my guilty confession is that I originally owned this on video (showing my age now -for the younger readers do a google search - lol) I wore out the tape playing it over and over again....

Lucy x
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Tipping the Velvet By Sarah Waters.

LOVE This book! The movie stays very close to the book and is also great!!

^ Yes! I second that notion :) And yes, the movie was enjoyable. Never as good as the book, but it was a great movie.
  • Books:
    Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
    Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
    Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle

Movies:
    Loving Annabelle
    Kissing Jessica Stein
    Dare (two best friends - a girl and a guy - both fall for the same guy)
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Books:
    Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
    Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan
    Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle

Movies:
    Loving Annabelle
    Kissing Jessica Stein
    Dare (two best friends - a girl and a guy - both fall for the same guy)

I just watched Kissing Jessica Stein on Netflix. What a great movie! Thanks!!
  • yeahthatpaula
    yeahthatpaula Posts: 29 Member
    I love all of the Sarah walters books and the tv adaptations of the same..... But my all time favourite films is Bound my guilty confession is that I originally owned this on video (showing my age now -for the younger readers do a google search - lol) I wore out the tape playing it over and over again....

Lucy x

I just saw "Bound" for the first time a few months ago. My girlfriend was appalled that I hadn't seen it. It was so good.

My favorites movies are The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister, Chutney Popcorn, Tipping The Velvet and Bound (of course).

I haven't read any LBGT books and I don't see it happening in the near future as I've just started book two of the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin.
  • "The Kids Are Alright"

I thought it would suck, though it offers what I assume is a realistic portrait of a modern family.

it's about a lesbian couple's children discovering who their sperm donor is and discovering who he is, it's a nice modern take on the family genre.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    I like Sarah Water's books. Tipping the velvet, Fingersmith, Affinity, The Nightwatch.....all of which have been adapted in to TV mini series. Haven't read The Little STranger yet though.

I also like the film Imagine Me & You.
  • The movie "Better Than Chocolate" was pretty good.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    OH MAN, how could I forget?

"Whipping Girl" by Julia Serano. I had the pleasure of meeting her and speaking with her at one of my old jobs. She is such a thoughtful, funny, and TALENTED person. Read this book!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Books: Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. Not technically an LGBT book, but Ruth and Idgie are a lesbian couple and central to the story. One of my favorite books of all time.

Movies: Desert Hearts, Aimee & Jaguar, Go Fish, are a few of my favorites.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Can't help out in books; only read non-fiction.

Movies:

Loving Annabelle
    Gia
    When Night is Falling
    I Can't Think Straight
    Elena Undone
    Imagine Me & You
    D.E.B.S.
    The World Unseen
    Gray Matters
    Better Than Chocolate
    All Over Me
    It's in the Water
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    I just read "and playing the role of herself" by K.E. Lang and it was very good. I have a ton of books on my kindle and am always looking for interesting books with lesbian characters. Email me your suggestions.
    I can probably write one at this point, they all have pretty much the same formula: girl meets girl. Both are at the top of their professions. One has shady/wild past/ or dead lover. There is a misunderstanding, They get mad. someones life is in danger or some other bs. They realize they can't live without each other. The end.
    But still, I love these books.
  • Better than chocolate was a rec. I figured to explore, everyone here was right, it was great.

thinking about getting into Ayn Rand or more gibberish philosophy like Niche.

not sure where to start.
  • senwithers
    senwithers Posts: 12 Member
    I always recommend Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Not exclusively a "gay" movie, but Val Kilmer plays a gay private investigator and he's hilarious in it. It's also got Robert Downey Jr. Like I said it's not targeted specifically at a gay audience, but it's a great movie and a really great representation of a normal, not effeminate or stereotypical, gay dude.

This movie is one of my favorite movies! And no one has ever seen it so thank you very much for saying this haha I thought Val Kilmer was great!
  • senwithers
    senwithers Posts: 12 Member
    I like Sarah Water's books. Tipping the velvet, Fingersmith, Affinity, The Nightwatch.....all of which have been adapted in to TV mini series. Haven't read The Little STranger yet though.

I also like the film Imagine Me & You.

Imagine Me and You was adorable and also my girlfriend's favorite movie. On one of our first dates, she actually took me to play DDR at an arcade and I had NO idea why until I saw it. So freaking cute.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Ive never read any LGBT books, I love reading so of course ima gonna have to look into your recommendations!!

My fav movies are both lifetime movies:

-A prayer for bobby
    -” A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story,” A transgender awareness movie.

I also love

-Imagine Me and you.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    used to like *kitten* Of Lost Atlantis but that was a long time ago... charles busch...
  • As a nerdfighter, I'm really ashamed to say I've never read any of John Green's books! Bad me! I'll have to get on it. Maybe when the semester ends. :)
  • A great book is
    Luna by Julie Anne Peters
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Better than chocolate was a rec. I figured to explore, everyone here was right, it was great.

thinking about getting into Ayn Rand or more gibberish philosophy like Niche.

not sure where to start.
    Just a question... Atlas Shrugged... that 7 chapter.. 1800page diatribe near the end. did you manage to plow through it? I always skipped it..]