new ideas?

Options
laura328
laura328 Posts: 136 Member
Hey All! I've been pescatarian for a couple years now and really enjoy it. The truth is I'm vegetarian, but can't give up sushi! I have learned many ways to make substitutions for meat. The challenge is losing weight and keeping that balance in your diet. Being married to a major carnivore is also a challenge. Anyone have any great ideas or recipes to share?

Replies

• elvisneedsboats
    elvisneedsboats Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    One of our favorite super-healthy meals lately:

(proportions don't matter that much, just do what looks good, but I'll include them for reference)

Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan, adding a clove or so of garlic. Add 1/2 c. each of 3 different vegetables (we like to use red/orange/yellow bell peppers, zucchini, green onions, etc.--things that cook nicely in a little oil). Add oregano, basil, crushed red pepper to taste. Cook a few minutes, until veggies are cooked but still crisp. Add a serving of meatless ground beef (the Trader Joe's kind or Lightlife--they're equally good), stirring it in. Once the "meat" has warmed up scoop everything into a bowl and eat!

We usually use 2/3 c. of the meatless ground beef, which is actually two servings. We're doing high protein/low-carb right now and are finding all kinds of creative uses for protein with colorful veggies! Note: I gave quantities for just one serving. If you're feeding more than one, multiply accordingly.

Less than 250 calories per serving and delicious!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this group! Most days I eat a vegetarian diet, but once in a while I gotta have seafood. Hard to live near the ocean and not enjoy fish.

This is one of my family's favorites and the dish we bring for pot lucks . Even my carnivore husband enjoys it.

Thai Edamame Pasta

Serves: 4

prep time: 15 minutes
    total time: 45 minutes

8 ounces of penne pasta
    1 1/2 cups shelled edamame soybeans
    1 lime
    1/2 cup medium chipotle salsa (we think chipotle salsa is best in this
    recipe)
    1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
    2 tablespoons sunflower seeds

1. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 tsp salt, stir,
    then add pasta. Cook until just al dente, about 10 to 12 minutes.

2. If edamame are frozen, microwave in a medium bowl for 2 to 3 minutes.

3. While pasta cooks, prepare the sauce. Grate the zest from the lime and
    reserve. In a medium saucepan, combine the juice from the lime, salsa,
    peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, and ginger. Heat over medium-low heat
    until just bubbling. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature, about
    15 minutes.

4. Drain pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Add cooled sauce, edamame,
    reserved lime zest, red pepper, and sauce. Toss to mix well. Sprinkle
    sunflower seeds over top and serve warm or at room temperature.

Approximate nutritional values per serving:

Calories: 490
    Carbohydrates: 68 g
    Protein: 20 g
    Fat: 15 g (0.5 g saturated)
    Sodium: 540 mg
    Fiber: 8 g
  • squiggles409
    squiggles409 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Check out the morningstar farms website for some GREAT ideas! Just saw one the other day for tortilla soup! With a few changes it can be made even healthier! I'm excited to try it. And hen my girlfriend goes and tells me about a veg chicken pot pie! So many culinary experiments in the works!
  • CynMaria
    CynMaria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I'm glad to see this group. I'm also 98 percent vegetarian, but once a month or two, I'll eat a poor dead fish. Well, not now that I've thought about it. Maybe next month.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Hello all
    I am from New Zealand. I don't eat a lot of seafood - only if I go out for dinner and someone else cooks it.
    I love spicy vegetarian food from all over the world. From African/Moroccan/Italian/Creole/Indian you name it. If you want to check out some of the recipes I use you can look at my website www.hawkheights.net
    I hope to get some more ideas from this group - though not the fish recipes! :-)
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Fish Kerala. You can do it with fish, prawns or tofu (or a combination of those) on days when you don't want fish. It's to die for and I eat it all the time. The sauce is so good, if there is any left over I eat that over some rice :happy:

Full recipe available on request (haven't typed it out before, it's easy to cook)