Daily Check in November 13 2011

Options
PedmomJill
PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
Let's give this a try. I know there is a group already doing a check in, but they have one thread that goes for a long time, and they may want to keep it to just their group; not sure yet. So I thought I'd post a daily one here, where we can post what workouts we are doing (or did) today, and any other random thoughts.

I'm doing Cathe's November LIS rotation. So far I really like it. There are some negative posts flying around the internet now but I'm not letting them get me down. I like the series a lot and I'm down 3.5 lbs since 11/1 so it's certainly doing ME some good! I do agree that the music is not good and I wish there were something else in place of the 2 yoga dvds, but overall I like it. And I think I got a great deal by preordering in May and getting the set and gliding discs for about $100.

That said, today is scheduled to be Tri Sets Lower Body. Two weeks in though and I'm doing some substituting. I don't love Tri Sets, and I think I want to do a total body weight workout. So I think I'm going to do Muscle Max. I will decided later when it's time. I have some DOMS in my pecs yet from weights on Thursday so I'll decide when I"m ready.

As for personal stuff, I'm happy to say I have no plans today! I had a busy work week and spent yesterday after my workout cleaning the garage and shopping all day/night. I'm looking forward to a nap this afternoon!

Replies

• Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I saw all the negative post also. I too preordered LIS and thought it was great deal. Still getting used to the discs. I workout on puzzles mats but have been using a fleece blanket for disc work but I think it's a little to slippery. I also have a small rug so I will have to try that. My favorite workout in the series is turbo barre. I wish the music had vocals like in past series but I just turn on my iPod if I'm not in the mood for the music.

Today is the last day of my current rotation. I'm doing FitnessFreaks muscle endurance rotation. Today is going to be some cardio and core fusion lower body work. I'm thinking maybe slide and glide.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I took a MUCH needed, ultra DOMS - induced, rest yesterday. I upped my weights like crazy on Thurs & Fri (I'm doing STS), and completely FRIED my upper body on those back to back workouts. Um, note to self: never again!!! By the time Fri night rolled around, I could barely drive! Going to bed, I couldn't roll over on my side, due to pec DOMS (I feel your pain Pedmom). Sat morning, I couldn't even pick up my cell phone for sore FOREARMS . What kinda craziness?! OMG. I haven't had this kinda soreness in a while. Whatever weights I used, will probably NOT go up next week, lol. This is insanity, some people just take it too far....

As for the LIS series, so far I'm loving it. I've only tried the cardio premix on S&G, TB (lower body premixes), and AB. Trying to fit LIS in w/STS is creating some challenges, but it'll get done, eventually, lol. So far, I like what I see, and I don't remember the music, so IDK if I like it or not, lol.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I love most of the LIS series, i agree with what you said the music, yoga and that.. But hey it is worth the money i think it is hard for me but i am doing it. I still encoorperate her other dvds in along with running.
    I did afterburn so far AT, cardio super sets , Low impact challenge dvd, and trisets upper body,, Today since i am running i am going to do her older one low impact dvd step and weight lifting well this is my plan lol.

I will do Afterburn again Monday after work i think. I really have hard time do ing all the planks adn things but i do them and take rest but if it gets to bad i go to my knees and try to keep going. It is something i will work into..

I do two of her dvd on the LIS a week or more if possible but it is so hard, but im not giving up so i think what im doing is easing into it I think. Im realy sore and i love that.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    I'm procrastinating. I've been doing other stuff (fixed my office chair, hung a picture, and about to put together 2 bar stools lol). But I'll do MM soon here. I have learned that I need to get my workouts done mid- to late-morning or I just won't do it. No excuse today since I don't have to work. I was looking at my week and I really didn't do very long workouts, so MM at 68 minutes or so is perfect.

Jenn, I heard that puzzle mats pose the biggest problem for the discs. Sorry you're experiencing that. :( I don't like Turbo Barre, actually. I have never like bar workouts before but I thought maybe I'd like Cathe's. Of course I only tried it once so I will try it again. Maybe it was just the wrong day for it for me. I actually think S&G is FUN, so enjoy it if you do it!

31 (is your name Nikki? Sorry, I hate that we can't have signatures here), it sounds like you definitely deserve a rest day together. I do not have STS nor will I be buying it. I have so many dvds, it's embarrassing. I was in a non-workout-mode when those came out so I don't know much about the system except it takes a lot of dedication and is hard. So good for you! For me, I know the DOMS is really bad when it hurts to wash and rinse my hair in the shower, or to sit on the toilet. LOL Luckily I don't feel THAT sore too often anymore, but it does happen to all of us at times.

ER, I'm doing the LIS November rotation but already incorporating some of Cathe's older workouts. I have exercise ADD so I can't just stick with a few workouts over and over or I get bored and don't want to do it. I have a hard time with planks and pushups (bad wrists AND shoulders) so this series has present some challenges for me. God, the burpees! There are so many! I just do as much as I can before my wrists start hurting (usually my right wrist is the first to give out - had surgery on it 2 years ago). It's obviously doing me some good though, having an "All Cathe Month", so I'm going to keep at it.

Okay, I'm not coming back online until my workout is done! That will get me motivated hopefully. :bigsmile:

Jill
  • danamae
    danamae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OMG, glad I found you guys. I usually post messages via smart phone, but I can't access the actual boards so I had to use my desktop.

I start my second month of Insanity tomorrow, but my knee is still feeling funny, plus my legs/butt are still sore from doing Jillian's Thigh & Butt killer. Sometimes I think Im crazy in the head. I have this problem with my knee, yeah I know I should take a rest but like a dummy I keep pushing, now it feels a little inflamed, but I still plan to continue with Insanity tomorrow. I really need a shrink!!
  • danamae
    danamae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's me again, I have another question; How long do you give a rotation or eating plan before you decide it's not working for you?

Im 5'7, 154lbs I want to lose a good 15-20 lbs, but I get really side tracked on what to do to lose the weight. I find myself easily swayed. For example, I may see someone who says they lost weight by running and lifting heavy, then I want to run and lift heavy. Or, my brother (who's in excellent shape already) looks much leaner because he began eating mostly vegetables/fruits/nuts and fish for example. So when I comes to myself I find a hard time following a certain regime. With all the hype about what to and not to eat really confuses me. Advice Please!! How do you find what actually works for you?
  • helened
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Glad to see this new check-in thread. I have to go to a kid's Bday party soon but will post a bit.

Danamae: I am with you. I am a bit shorter and a bit heavier and I have the same problem of wanting to do different things all the time to shake off the weight. I'll be happy to see what advice the ladies here have. With me the problem might actually be in sticking to the plan enough to give it a chance to work. I have a tendency to graze way too much in the evenings.

Pedmom: Thanks for getting us started. Hopefully you'll get that MM in soon ;-) I agree with you on the negative posts. Best to ignore it. I don't understand why people have to share their criticism with everybody, especially when it's not constructive. I love the new series. Yeah the music is not as fun as some others, but it's not bad either. And I can already see the workouts are growing on me and that always happens (well for most at least). I seriously love AT. I think it's a great addition of completely different workouts.

31: OMG that is crazy!!!!! I don't know if I ever had DOMS that bad. Maybe Lower Body ones where I would fall on the toilet but never that bad on the UB. As far as adding LIS to STS you might also consider the first 20-25 minutes of AT on an UB day. It's kick *kitten* cardio.

ER: I think you're plan is good. I am kind of doing that too because I find that LIS is a bit taxing actually (maybe I should try the yoga DVDs instead LOL).

Jenn: That is a great rotation. I don't know if it's practical but have you considered an area rug for the days with S&G type workouts? Don't know if it's worth the hassle though. I still haven't done S&G because I admit that I find the slide work in the other DVDs to be challenging. Still have to try TB and the yogas too. Enjoy your workout today.

I tried a new workout today. I am sticking to "easier" kickboxing workouts because I am reducing my carb intake to try to kickstart my weight loss. This has worked for me in the past (fingers crossed). Today I did Amy Bento's kickbox surge and I loved it. It was a very fun workout and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much. Should have taken it out of its wrapper last year.....

Have a great day everyone.
  • steph_arena
    Options
    Pedmom thank you for starting this for us...very nice of you! hope you got in your mm today!

Kiki: you kill me with the doms...since i have started stsing with my kiki like weights i have to admit i still have some serious DOMS myself after disc 13 which i did on Friday :) I do not think i will be doing my back as planned today!

Helend: I have been doing Cathes kickbox from 4 day split at least once a week these days... i generally dont like kickbox but i find this one super fun and short, sweet and intense!

Daname: I always wanted to be 5'7 you lucky duck! you don't have to hem your pants! I am 5'4 3/4 and am just a little too short to get away without hemming

Today I am seriously un-motivated...trying to kick myself in the behind but nothing seems to work...i caved to the ice cream that was calling out to me...so i really should get my butt off the couch! When i get back from swimming lessons with my dd i want to try cardio su[per sets or lis challange...or maybe 4 dsplit kickbox...

Thank you again for starting the check in!
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    I'm finally back to report that I got my workout in. My lower back felt a little iffy after all the bent over rows with heavier weights than usual, so I skipped the core section and got on my treadmill for a bit, then came back for the stretch. I'm so glad I did it. I was really not in the mood but as usual, feel great afterwards!

Let me just say up front that if this check in group gets really big, everyone has to understand that we all may not be able to do "shout outs" to each person every time. I hope you all are okay with that. We all have busy lives; I know I'm not the only one that might have to just pop in to say what I did that day and that's it. :)

Steph, LOL I am about 5'3" and a half so I know what you mean. I don't hem though, I just wear longer pants. Thank goodness that is considered stylish. I hate my height though because I am in between petite and regular. Petites are just a little too short for me so I always get regular and they are a wee bit too long. You're on STS, too? I hope I don't let you guys talk me into it. I do NOT need more workout. I do NOT need more workouts. I do NOT need more workouts. I do NOT need more workouts. There, better for now. ha ha

Helen, you are lucky you can do kickboxing. I used to love going to the classes at my old gym. The instructor was brutal there, in a good way of course. But my shoulders can no longer take it. :( It sucks getting older! I'm 45 now and it seems like every week something else is hurting. Do you like Cathe's kickboxing? I used to like the old old one, I think it's in CTX and just called Kick box. Drill Max was too hard on my shoulder.

Dana, hi there and welcome! I'm so glad to see all of you ladies checking in! It will be fun. I need to lose about 20 more pounds and the LIS has re-motivated me. I know you all will keep me going. As to your question, there was a thread at VF (videofitness.com) last week or the week before about Exercise ADD. I definitely have it. I think most Vidiots have it. But it can go for eating, too. The eating is easy for me in that the answer is balance. Nothing is off limits, it's all about portion control. Now, that works for ME but it might not work for everyone. I did low carb back in the day (2004 when it was popular) and got really thin, but then gained it back. Weight Watchers taught me how to eat in a balanced way that has worked. I joined in December 2010 and just quit 2 weeks ago because I no longer need to go to the meetings and just need the online tracking, which I happily found here for free. Anyway, babbling aside, I think you need to find what works for you, but it might take awhile. I would say you have to give something at least a month to know how it works long-term. I have more of a challenge with the workouts that way, which is why I'm trying my first-ever rotation (LIS) this month. I'm trying to commit to something to see if there is a benefit to using one instructor's workouts for a month, or if it doesn't matter. If you are in real pain though, I would definitely take a day off or it's just going to get worse!

Sorry for all that - I tend to get long-winded here because I love having people to communicate with that "get" the whole dvd obsession thing. Nobody in my real life can relate at all.

So here is a question for you guys: If you follow a rotation do you take the specified rest days when they are scheduled? I don't want a rest day tomorrow nor will I do yoga. I will probably just get a good treadmill and/or elliptical cardio session in. The problem is this rotation from Cathe doesn't have ANY rest days after tomorrow for the next 2 weeks. Thanksgiving day and weekend are in there, at the end. I'm having company come in on Wednesday night and I don't think I want to do my Cathe workout in the living room with them here. Then Friday morning I'm going to Chicago with a group of friends and not coming home until Sunday. So you see my obvious dilemma. I don't want to skip tomorrow because I know I will miss at least a couple days at the end of next week. What would you guys do? Opinions welcome!
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I want to say up front that I really suck at checking in! I love all my cathlete buds, but somehow I just can't stick to a check in. So, I'll do my best, but don't be surprised if I'm kind of random with it. Whew, now that that's off my chest:bigsmile:

So, I haven't seen any of the negative stuff!! OMG! People are bashing our Cathe??? I hope it's not on the OD. I'll have to pop over and check it out. I've done most of the wos (still have S&G and most of AT to do). It definitely is different, but I like different. And best of all it is very challenging. One of the Afterburn premixes did me in, literally, but I love to be pushed. It doesn't get much better than that for low impact. I also love the yoga dvds. Maybe it's because I don't really do yoga so it's great to have a familiar face to do it with. Sigh, just can't please every body.

Pedmom - Thank you so much for the "shout out" bit. Now I won't feel so guilty :) I rarely follow any rotation to a T, especially when it comes to rest days. I have to fit them in around my schedule. So, because you will be taking a few days off, I say a little treadmill work should be okay for tomorrow :)

jenn38 - I love FF rotations! What do you think you do will next week?

31 - Those DOMS sound wicked!! Your weights must have been dead on!

Edithrenee - I like how you are easing into LIS. There are so many push up/burpee/plank type exercises in this series. It might even be worse than STS M1!

Danamae - You and I have a lot in common! First, I have knee troubles (I was one of the many begging Cathe for a low impact series!). Second I am 5' 6" 156 lbs (still carrying around power outage weight from 2 weeks ago:explode: we ate out a lot!) I'm hoping to get to 145 one day. Closest I've gotten is 147. My problem with weight is that I can find a way to lose it (Tosca Reno's Recharged diet always gets the pounds off for me), but I find it's too restrictive for long term (more than 3-4 weeks). So, I'm still trying to figure it all out, too.

Helene - How did the bday party go? I'll be checking out your diary later, for sure.

Steph - So, did you burn off that ice cream?

Gotta go start dinner. This week I'm hoping to put in a little extra time with my workouts and keep the calorie burning high. Kind of a pre-emptive strike on the holiday eats:tongue: .
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    It's me again, I have another question; How long do you give a rotation or eating plan before you decide it's not working for you?

Im 5'7, 154lbs I want to lose a good 15-20 lbs, but I get really side tracked on what to do to lose the weight. I find myself easily swayed. For example, I may see someone who says they lost weight by running and lifting heavy, then I want to run and lift heavy. Or, my brother (who's in excellent shape already) looks much leaner because he began eating mostly vegetables/fruits/nuts and fish for example. So when I comes to myself I find a hard time following a certain regime. With all the hype about what to and not to eat really confuses me. Advice Please!! How do you find what actually works for you?
    that sounds like me lol I try to do what i feel like doing thow lol
    What ever is going to make me get up off the couch, I love cathes dvds that has the great music in them it helps me to stay motivated. But i have to say id say stick with something at least 6 weeks if possible.
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    wow how are we goingt o get the shot outs right im getting dizzy trying to read all of them lol. I cant keep up witht he names... Anyone have a suggestion on how they are keeping up with this so i can do it right? Im sorry but i am not organized.

Hmm i need to start a group on how to organize your house and head lol
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    All so who here has done the sts and what is it about and how do you do it, it looks complicated and tons of dvds!!
  • Edithrenee
    Options
    i was thinking maybe we should brake it up into topics. Like food and neutrition, and differnt workouts and different questions, I dont know just rambling i guess.
  • PedmomJill
    Options
    I would make your STS question a separate topic. :)