Should I lose more weight first?

Options
kburns0709
kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
I understand that this program is designed to build strength and fat loss comes along for the ride, but my real question is this: Is this an appropriate program for someone like me, who has 40+ pounds to lose? I think that I could definitely be successful with this program, but I was just wondering if there were any opinions about losing more weight before I start? I was reading some reviews on Amazon and one of them said that this is not a good idea for someone with more than 30 pounds to lose so I just wasn't sure if I needed to wait until maybe the start of the year when I can get another 10-15 pounds off.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Don't wait! Strength training should be part of everyone's exercise plan. When you lose weight you're losing both fat and muscle; lifting helps to preserve and condition the muscle you already have. Those people on Amazon don't know anything.

Read this article, it will help you.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/what-women-should-never-do-but-often-do-while-trying-to-get-in-shape-part-1-of-6/
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. The bottom line is you should define your goals and your workout/food intake program to meet those goals. Re-evaluate your progress and your program and modify what you are doing along the way as necessary if you aren't getting the results with what you are doing. No two people are the same and what works for one may not work for the other.

You will hear lots of different opinions, so here is my 2 cents for what it's worth:

1) Yes, do not wait to add strength training to your routine while you are losing weight. Strength training is always beneficial no matter where you are in your journey.

2) However, strength training alone will not get you the results you desire.

3) Depending on how much weight you need to lose, your dietary intake plan should support your goals. Weight loss dietary intake will be different when your primary focus is weight loss versus reducing body fat % through muscle building.

4) I have heard from several sources (e.g., my trainer, the Fat2Fit podcasts, etc.) that your primary focus should be weight loss until you are close to your goal weight, then your primary focus should be body fat % reduction.

5) My story: I did strength training 2 - 3x/week (mostly with a trainer) for a year before joining MFP and I did not lose any weight. I got stronger and more fit, but my body did not change that much. I joined MFP with a little more than 30 lbs to lose and so my primary goal was to lose weight (I zig zagged my calories and lost 15 - 20 lbs in 3 months, my BF% also went down, so I am lighter and more lean than when I started - I believe strength training during this time helped to preserve my muscle during calorie deficit). I continued to strength train during this whole time and as I lost weight, my muscle definition started to show. I took a maintenance pause for three months and now with about 15 lbs to lose, I will start NROL4W program Dec 1 with the primary goal of reducing BF%. Yes, I will likely lose more weight, but that is not my goal.

6) From what I understand, dietary intake is different for weight loss as primary goal than if BF% (via muscle building) is your goal. You can't really focus on doing both at the same time. Weight loss requires a calorie deficit of 3500 - 7000 calories a week to lose 1 - 2 lbs a week. Your diet when you are focused on building muscle as the means to reduce BF% will be close to maintenance calorie levels and will require a focus on the macro nutrient intake proportions (protein, carbs, fat).

7) Bottom line - Yes strength train, but have the right dietary plan in place to support your goals (weight loss versus muscle building/body fat percentage reduction).
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I remember reading in the NROL4W book last night something about gaining muscle and not losing fat (this happened to me once years ago when I first started lifting weights without any real knowledge of nutrition, etc. - my butt and legs got bigger from weight training, so I've been very hesitant to train hard on the lower half ever since - which I need to change).

Here is the quote (Chpt 2, pg 14):

"Sometimes fat decreases with no increase in muscle, which means the circumferences of the arms or legs or waist or whatever's measured will decline. Sometimes the opposite happens, and muscle increases without a loss of fat. (This is most likely to happen in the lower body, where initial fat loss is usually slow when compared to the upper body; that's why you need the combination of Cassandra's diet plans and Alwyn's workouts to tip the balance)".

So this seems to support my previous post about the importance of diet in strength training to get desired results; HOWEVER, it seems to imply that the diet plan/guidance in the book CAN support fat loss with muscle building. I was under the impression that it would not provide enough of a calorie deficit, but you'll need to figure that out for yourself and modify as appropriate.

Hope this helps.
  • GertiLee
    GertiLee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you shouldn't start now, everyone should strength train. As you can see from my ticker down there I'm working on losing 40+ too. The reason I started this program is because I wanted to have some type of direction when I do my strength training. Before this I kind of puttered around the weight machines without having a plan or goals for my strength.

I am giving phase 1 my all and will try not to worry about the scale or my measurements. I swim once a week and run 3 times a week and I think that will help with my weight loss too. At the end of phase 1 I'll check my progress and adjust my plans if I don't see much progress.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I am giving phase 1 my all and will try not to worry about the scale or my measurements. I swim once a week and run 3 times a week and I think that will help with my weight loss too. At the end of phase 1 I'll check my progress and adjust my plans if I don't see much progress.
    Hopefully you took your measurements before starting the program. Progress should be measured as a loss in inches, not just weight.
  • GertiLee
    GertiLee Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you took your measurements before starting the program. Progress should be measured as a loss in inches, not just weight.

Oh definitely! What I meant to say is I won't freak out over my weekly numbers. I'll wait until the end of phase 1 to freak out or hopefully take a victory lap around the house!