What has worked for you? Share your tips :-D

Options
What have you tried that has worked for you?

Exercise and a healthy diet have improved a lot of my symptoms, such as depression and the 'spaced out' feelings I get. I don't want to use HRT and am trying to alleviate my menopause symptoms by change of lifestyle/diet/exercise alone .. has anyone else had any success by following this route?

Replies

• LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Not much has helped me....depression comes on for no apparent reason and can leave me just as fast as it hits. My biggest issue is sleep deprivation....i am literally a walking zombie. I am taking Prempro medication, but it only seems to help with the hot flashes. So, the exercise helps the depression at the very least.... :/
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This may sound strange but I find that taking food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) helps me to feel better. There are a bunch of sites out there that tout the benefits of DE but I've gone mostly on experience and recommendations from friends. (earthworkshealth.com is one site with info on DE. I order mine through Amazon)
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Remifemin (OTC) for about 2 years with moderate success with hot flashes... still having trouble with memory/concentration/brain fog, mood swings, anxiety (more so than depression), sleep disturbances, and terrible, horrible vaginal dryness.... I had menstrual migraines that still apprear monthly- my neurologist suggested supplemental magnesium that has helped tremendously. I wonder if the Remifemin has helped the other symptoms and what I would be like without it... my poor hubby..... :sad:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the HRT thread, but I take Celexa for anxiety and hot flashes. I also watch what I eat and exercise when I can.
  • BackwoodsMom
    Options
    I've been taking Remifemin (OTC) for about 2 years with moderate success with hot flashes... still having trouble with memory/concentration/brain fog, mood swings, anxiety (more so than depression), sleep disturbances, and terrible, horrible vaginal dryness.... I had menstrual migraines that still apprear monthly- my neurologist suggested supplemental magnesium that has helped tremendously. I wonder if the Remifemin has helped the other symptoms and what I would be like without it... my poor hubby..... :sad:

Bummer! I was hoping this might be something I could use but I took black cohosh for a while and it made my hot flashes much worse! Oh well. :-(
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I took the path of least resistance and opted for layered clothing , limited covers of a night time - oh and a hand held fan in my bag and near where I sit of an evening. Funnily enough when a good friend of mine visits who is the same age as me I place the fan on a small table between the seats and we take turns. Comical really but effective.
    Debbie
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Promensil worked for me. Keeps the hot flashes under control and evens my moods out. Walmart has them the cheapest. Before I started taking them (over the counter with the vitamins) I hated working out because I'd get so hot from the inside out. Now I workout and it's just normal heat.
    At least we know we can get away with murder....just say the words "menopausal" and we're laughing, lol.
  • BackwoodsMom
    Options
    Promensil worked for me. Keeps the hot flashes under control and evens my moods out. Walmart has them the cheapest. Before I started taking them (over the counter with the vitamins) I hated working out because I'd get so hot from the inside out. Now I workout and it's just normal heat.
    At least we know we can get away with murder....just say the words "menopausal" and we're laughing, lol.

Okay, I'm going to try this. Reviews looked pretty good. Amazon had a 60 day supply for just $16 so I went with the convenience of delivery.
  • sweatymary
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of research and Promensil is the name that keeps cropping up time and again and I think it's the one I will try :-D I'm on a training course at the moment and had to fan myself due to 2 massive hot flushes this morning accompanied by concerned faces looking at me and asking are you ok lol :-D
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lauren, I purchased Promensil when you recommended it a while back and have been taking it daily for over 30 days.
    I have not seen an improvement in the hot flashes or night sweats. If anything they seem more severe. :sad:

I know you said it takes 4-6 weeks for it to really kick in but I'm starting to get desperate. How long did you take it before you got results?

Opal
  • Lauren8239
    Options
    Lauren, I purchased Promensil when you recommended it a while back and have been taking it daily for over 30 days.
    I have not seen an improvement in the hot flashes or night sweats. If anything they seem more severe. :sad:

I know you said it takes 4-6 weeks for it to really kick in but I'm starting to get desperate. How long did you take it before you got results?

Opal

Are you using the regular strength or the extra strength? The regular is in the red and white box, the extra strength are in the green and white box. Maybe try the extra strength? The blurb on the box lists which one is best for you by addressing which symptoms it helps. The extra has double the dose of red clover and also helps with more symptoms.
    Promensil® Products Choices
    Promensil MenopausePromensil Menopause Double StrengthPromensil Vitality for After Menopause
    (red and white box)
    Promensil® Regular Strength (40 mg)
    NPN 80015467
    For women suffering from milder symptoms.
    (green and white box)
    Promensil® Menopause Double Strength (80 mg)
    NPN 80016071
    For women who need extra support
    to help reduce menopause symptoms.

:flowerforyou:
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants helped me. It was the only thing. I am now off them since I'm past the perimenopausal junk and just into full menopause. Full menopause is wonderful. Peri is hell. I was in peri for 11 years. Now finally, no more flashes or depression. Nothing ever worked for hot flashes and I tried everything. If I had to do it over, I'd be begging my doctor for hormone replacement.

Actually a couple things thing did help. A small fan next to my bed that I could switch onto my face during the night. Give up hot drinks. Layer clothing and cut your hair short.
  • Lauren8239
    Options
    In peri for 11 years???????????? Oh gawd.
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Opal

Are you using the regular strength or the extra strength? The regular is in the red and white box, the extra strength are in the green and white box. Maybe try the extra strength? The blurb on the box lists which one is best for you by addressing which symptoms it helps. The extra has double the dose of red clover and also helps with more symptoms.
    Promensil® Products Choices
    Promensil MenopausePromensil Menopause Double StrengthPromensil Vitality for After Menopause
    (red and white box)
    Promensil® Regular Strength (40 mg)
    NPN 80015467
    For women suffering from milder symptoms.
    (green and white box)
    Promensil® Menopause Double Strength (80 mg)
    NPN 80016071
    For women who need extra support
    to help reduce menopause symptoms.

:flowerforyou:

I will buy the extra strength next time. The pharmacy I go to only had the red and white box. My Walmart doesn't carry it. I may just have to order it online.
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Lauren8239
    Options
    Let me know how it goes. I tried the extra strength first, and had terrific results. I only started taking the regular strength because when I needed more that's all the store had....and I found it worked just as well for me. I think the extra strong will help you, and I bet you can get it a lot cheaper online.
  • BackwoodsMom
    Options
    Can you take double the regular strength amount to get the extra strength - one in morning and one at night? Just wondering because I just got the regular strength today.