Welcome

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
Figured i should make a welcome post. so here it is welcome to the group, i suppose you can introduce yourselves and start chating away.

Replies

• LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This is pretty awesome :D

I'm a Belly Dancer and have been Dancing for around a year now. I'm hoping that with my weight loss I'll be able to you know...actually dance in front of people XD

BTW I'm Candace :D
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    yes that is one of my big motivators to keep losing.
    though i have been unable take class , i have a couple good dvd got to get back to.
    and would love to find the on that is now missing

but i just keep telling my self , its illegal to kill your children
  • Erinsbod
    Erinsbod Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Erin.

I love belly dancing. It's so much fun. I'm happy when exercise doesn't feel like exercise.
  • LadyNeshoba
    Options
    I go to class every Thursday. I love it! Though I'm one of the only women who doesn't show off their belly XD

Some things are just better left hidden XD Hahahahahaha!

I have one DVD I keep meaning to start up again but I keep forgetting XD
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I hearty belly dancing as well. I have been doing it, fitness style, for about a year. I started going to to a dance studio about 3 months ago where I am learning tribal belly dance and will be performing in May. VERY excited! =)
  • LadyNeshoba
    Options
    I've learned Tribal and Cabaret so far. I want to learn Tribal Fusion :D
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    tribal rocks

my first teacher was very traditional, that was in adult comunity edu. and she was older

my teache at the studio i went to is primarily tribal fusion, and young.
    can't wait til i can go back
  • Sharon150
    Options
    Hi! I love Bellydance as well! I have a hard time getting to classes so I use dvds alot. My mom was (is) a bellydancer, so I grew up with her practicing all over the house and listening to arabic music. It's such a great tradition to pass on to your daughters!
  • PrincessRiot
    Options
    Im a belly dancer hence why i have joined this group :)

Im Li

I do Cabaret Egyptian, Turkish and improv Bollywood belly dancing :) i have done quite a few performances and done workshops with various professionals such as Katie Holland and Shona Hagan (she organises Miss Belly Dance 2011)

:) hope you don't mind me joining :) x
  • KnittingKnadine
    Options
    Hi, I'm Nadine and I've been taking Belly Dance classes for just a smidge over a year now. We do mostly Egyptian and Cabaret styles, but every now and then my teacher will show us some tribal moves.

I just did my first performance for Halloween and I'm hooked. I'm hoping to do another one in December. yay!
  • mayhemrat2
    mayhemrat2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cheryl. I have been bellydancing for 7 years. I take classes in American Tribal Style. I have performed several times for student recitals, charity shows, etc.. The thing that I like the most about the bellydance community is that no one cares what size you are... they just want to see you dance.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm Cindy and I've danced 2x's in front of people and the first one was Solo! scary but I survived. The 2nd one was with a group, also scary but less so. I find I prefer groups and I think I prefer choreo. My 1st teacher trained at least 2 Belly Dancers of the year. Arreliah (not the tribal fusion one) and Aziza. Her name is Ruby Sowder. She may actually be gone now. I started about 20 yrs ago and am still a baby dancer! Life and finances keep getting in the way.

My second teacher is tribal fusion. Jane Archer of Euphoria studios. I find I like fusion the best. My current fave dancer is Zoe Jakes.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. My name is Sally. I belly danced off an on for 20 years. But the situation here has changed in the last 5 years. I had 3 hip surgeries in less than 2 years..then this past summer, dislocated my artificial hip 2x and belly dancing is out of the question for me now. (aside from the fact that my teacher no longer teaches :frown: ) I enjoyed it very much. We danced all over--even in Puerto Rico for the mayor. We performed once on a cruise ship. Very fun. But now....with the hip restrictions, I can no longer..do the moves. :grumble:

I have many bras and belts that I can no longer use. Is it way out of line to ask if anyone is interested in buying any of them?

Hope all is well with everyone and your shimmies are awesome. Move it or lose it! :wink:

Thanks all~
    Sally
  • Stormer26
    Stormer26 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Bre I've been bellydancing and performing off and on for 7 years. I've been busy lately so I haven't been able to dance much but I love it and hope to get back into it now. :happy:
  • pinkarrow
    Options
    I started bellydancing back in 1999. I started off learning Egyptian cabaret and Turkish, then in 2004 I joined a class where the teacher taught Tribal Fusion and ATS... I was HOOKED! I dance only Tribal fusion now and have been performing it since 2009. I love it so much and can't think of every quitting! In fact, I am looking at places to rent so I can start teaching classes later this year. :) It just depends on how much for rent you know? I love making up choreography and performing at Haflas, I have also had the pleasure of doing workshops with some of the best like Mira Betz, and Rachel Brice. They were both so great and totally kicked our butts during the workshops, it was great!
  • infallible
    infallible Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm Carolynn. My dance history is a few months of cabaret 5-ish years ago and I just started classes of Intro Belly (taught by tribal dancers) back in Aug 11. I'm currently in an intermediate / improve tribal class on Mon and I'm retaking the Intro class on Thur. I haven't been to any workshops yet... truth is sometimes I can barely make it through the regular classes. I never realized how much toll my weight had taken on my knees in the last few years till now. But it's slowly getting better with each class and practice. :smile:
  • candu129
    candu129 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Greetings, everyone!

If anybody had told me 20 years ago (by the way, I'm 53) that I would be learning belly dance let alone typing my experience into a computer and joining an online group (whatever that might have been) I would have thought they were nuts!!!

Okay, here's the info on me: Most of my adult life I have been at some stage of fat. The past ten years or so I have taken my health very seriously and anymore I exercise regularly, eat reasonably (most of the time) and am no longer fat by BMI defitition, but the past couple of years have allowed my weight to gradually creep up so I have about 15 or so pounds to re-lose. I found MFP in late December when I was looking for a calorie/weight logging app for my phone.

I found a DVD (done byVeena and Neena Bishada) at our library last summer on belly dance, and I was hooked. It was FUN. I don't know exactly what their style would be considered, so if somebody can tell me I would appreciate it. Anyway, I did it for a while, then got away from it for a few months, and started again a couple of weeks ago. No, I do not yet dance in front of anybody!:blushing:

Thanks!

Candu

Would love to hear from others in the group, especially those whose experience or style may have similar roots.
    Would love to see this group grow and become more active, too, and I'll be glad to do my part on that!:flowerforyou:
  • infallible
    infallible Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found a DVD (done byVeena and Neena Bishada) at our library last summer on belly dance, and I was hooked. It was FUN. I don't know exactly what their style would be considered, so if somebody can tell me I would appreciate it. Anyway, I did it for a while, then got away from it for a few months, and started again a couple of weeks ago. No, I do not yet dance in front of anybody!:blushing:

I believe their style is Cabaret. At least their dress leads me to believe they are.

If there are any classes in your area you should look into taking them. I've found that belly dance is all ages, all sizes friendly and they don't make you perform in front of people, they ask if you'd like to. I did my first one a few months ago with some other students to a short routine at just a studio open house night. No one there in the crowd but family, friends and belly dancers. It was a very supportive group and while I was wrecked with nerves sure I was blowing it they all made me feel like I was a star. Great for the self esteem. And I felt at home with my body compared to the other dancers cause we all had our flaws. ;)
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Cindy I have been dancing for about 3 years now. I want to become a pro one day but I want to lose the weight before I ever perform in front of anyone. I love to do Turkish and egyptian cabaret and starting egyptian baladi. I dance everyday let it be 10 mins to 2 hours. I love it.
  • lildeer1
    lildeer1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I've been belly dancing 8 years now and consider myself a tribal fusion dancer; although, I've been experimenting with "vintage" cabaret styles too. Happy to have found this group.