Drinking Age - Increase, decrease, or none at all?

Options
We who are over 21 hopefully consume responsibly but we all know those who are over 21 that are unable to do so? Some parents have the notion that "My kids are going to drink when they are not at home, so I might as well let them drink under my supervision." Others are of the mentality that there should be no age for alcohol, if children are exposed to it and around it since birth and they have to freedom to consume at any age, individuals are more likely to be responsible drinkers.

So I ask to all, Is 21 the appropriate age for legally consuming acohol, should it be increased or decreased and to what age, or should the legal age for consumption be taken out completely?

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I think 18 should be the legal age. If you're old enough to serve in the military you're old enough to drink
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I grew up with parents that let me drink as long as they were around (or even people they trusted). I had a lot of friends who's parents forbid them even little sips.

Guess who would sneak their parents' alcohol or have someone else buy for them, got stinking drunk on binges, and drove drunk. Yup, the ones for whom it was forbidden.

The forbidden is always exciting. Make it common place and teach responsibility and that's what the kid will learn.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I think 18 should be the legal age. If you're old enough to serve in the military you're old enough to drink

I agree with this.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Yeah for me there isn't a huge difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old as far as maturity and responsibility goes. So if you can serve in the military you should be able to drink. I think it's not as much about age as it is the maturity level of the individual. haha a law saying only mature responsible people can drink would be better.................but how the hell do you do that haha.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Yeah for me there isn't a huge difference between an 18 year old and a 21 year old as far as maturity and responsibility goes. So if you can serve in the military you should be able to drink. I think it's not as much about age as it is the maturity level of the individual. haha a law saying only mature responsible people can drink would be better.................but how the hell do you do that haha.

lol if they did that then I know some 40 year olds who wouldn't be allowed to drink!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    haha yeah thats one of my in a perfect world laws ha
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think that other age limits could stand to be increased. 18 for driving, 20 for being a legal adult (this could mean adding a couple of years to primary school or high school, haven't thought it through...), and lower drinking age down to 20.

Yep, I'm radical. :tongue:
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

Exactly. If someone is going to put their lives on the line so I can enjoy my freedom, I should be able to buy that person a beer.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    ^^^110%.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am in favor of lowering the legal age to 18, and doing like several European countries, where parents/guardians are allowed to give drinks to their kids (must be physically present - can't just give permission). Parents are responsible for their kids, and there are severe consequences if they let their kids get drunk.

Since 18 is considered an adult for just about everything else (legal age of consent, for contracts, etc.), I feel it should apply to drinking independently as well.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I agree - I have never understood the US approach to drinking age. I remember being at a restaurant with my parents on a holiday in the US. They ordered a bottle of wine, and asked for three glasses, so that I could have a little with my meal as well. I was about 14, and had been having a sip or two of wine with meals if my parent were having wine since I was about 11. My parents' firmly believed that early minimal exposure would reduce the risk of later irresponsible over-indulgence, and would accustom me to the idea of alcohol with food, rather than on its' own (and would expose me to good wine, so I'd be much less likely to like the cheap stuff I could afford on my own in my late teens - it worked!). The waiter refused point-blank, and said he'd need to see my ID - something which had never happened previously in any of the other countries we had spent time in (we travelled a lot for my mother's business). He also made a point of saying that I wasn't allowed to have sip from my parents' glass or we'd be asked to leave! It all seemed rather draconian and pointless, with both of my parents with me.

The thing that seems curious from an outside perspective is the mismatch of ages that seems to exist in the US - military service, driving and criminal responsibility all have lower age thresholds and involve much more dangerous activities. The current laws appear to be unenforceable, and not surprisingly seem to result in more excess, more over-indulgence and more subterfuge, with inevitably negative consequences. If you're old enough to become emancipated, go off to college and live on your own at 18, that implies a level of maturity and responsibility - both essential to safe drinking. Why the different rules?
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    I am 34 and I've never had alcohol. There are many reasons I don't drink. I would never tell someone-- 21 or over that is-- that they couldn't drink. Although you'd be surprise at how many people over the years would try to make me drink!!!

So I'll be staying out of this debate, mainly because I can't speak from experience.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I work at an all boys high school, and I see a huge difference in maturity from the time they graduate (most 18), and when they come back to visit after just one year of college. I believe 21 is a far more appropriate drinking age than 18.

I've never allowed my children to drink under the age of 21. I have a 24 year old, and enjoy having a couple of beers with him when he comes to visit, but never would have done it before the legal age.

This is for the United States........I completely understand that other countries have different societal norms, traditions, and customs.
  • castadiva
    Options
    It just seems a bit arbitrary, and doesn't seem to do any real good. Statistically, the US appears to have far more problems with alcohol-related crime and accidents (among young people) than the average European country, where parent-supervised consumption is typically allowed from an early age, and individual permission kicks in at 16-18, depending on the country. By that stage, most kids here have been exposed to alcohol in a safe and supervised environment, and respect the consequences of excessive drinking. Also, the 'don't drink and drive' message has been hammered in fairly thoroughly to a captive audience in schools by that point. Of course there are exceptions, but the majority appear to have fewer serious problems when there is no need for subterfuge, no built-up mystique and no incentive to suddenly try everything on their 21st birthday with no tolerance built up or understanding of their own limits.
  • macpatti
    Options
    It just seems a bit arbitrary, and doesn't seem to do any real good. Statistically, the US appears to have far more problems with alcohol-related crime and accidents (among young people) than the average European country, where parent-supervised consumption is typically allowed from an early age, and individual permission kicks in at 16-18, depending on the country. By that stage, most kids here have been exposed to alcohol in a safe and supervised environment, and respect the consequences of excessive drinking. Also, the 'don't drink and drive' message has been hammered in fairly thoroughly to a captive audience in schools by that point. Of course there are exceptions, but the majority appear to have fewer serious problems when there is no need for subterfuge, no built-up mystique and no incentive to suddenly try everything on their 21st birthday with no tolerance built up or understanding of their own limits.

This is an argument I've heard from hundreds of teenagers (including my own)! Again, it's societal norms. We do not have a long standing tradition of that established in our country.
  • baisleac
    Options
    This is an argument I've heard from hundreds of teenagers (including my own)! Again, it's societal norms. We do not have a long standing tradition of that established in our country.

And we never will... Unless either the laws are changed or enough people stand up and say "Why the hell not?".

I'm the latter, requesting the former. :flowerforyou:
  • macpatti
    Options

And we never will... Unless either the laws are changed or enough people stand up and say "Why the hell not?".

This has been challenged, and there are many reasons for "Why the hell not".
  • baisleac
    Options

This has been challenged, and there are many reasons for "Why the hell not".
    [/quote]

I'll just agree to disagree. :flowerforyou:
  • castadiva
    Options
    Me too!
  • macpatti
    Options
    Boo. No fun. Where is Brett to debate with me???? :smile: