Stage 4

Options
Looks like I might be by my lonesome in this stage! That's okay, I can post to myself...:tongue:

Today was my first Workout A of Stage 4. Although I've done the exercises before (they're the same as in Stage 2), it was tough. Adding a couple of reps and another set whooped my butt. Then again, I haven't had a rest day since last Tuesday and ate a bunch of crap yesterday so I didn't really go into this workout in tip top shape. I bet the rest of the week will be better, since tomorrow is a rest day.

I'd hoped to be stronger, and I did increase the weights on some of the lifts, but on some I stayed the same. Started getting knee pain during the elevated static lunge, so restricted my range of movement to avoid pain.

Anyone else in Stage 4?!? Anyone? Bueller?

Replies

• up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I completed stage 4 a couple weeks ago. :) I like those lunges. Really watch that you keep your upper body in a straight line without leaning forward. You are probably already aware of those things, but this will help with the knee pains.

I pulled a calf muscle in July that has hindered my one-legged movements in this program (on my right leg --usually my dominant side). I am finally getting some strength back in that leg. The injury had nothing to do with NROL. LOL. It was a combo of a bad pair of shoes (that I thought were good, saucony running shoes) and a "trip" down my steps, lol.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I won't be there for another two weeks. But I'll cheer you on! I am sure you are stronger even if you stayed the same on some of the exercises. Besides doing 3 sets instead of 2 is definitely tougher even if the weight is the same.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm in Stage 4!!! I'm so glad to be doing these excercises again!!!

I agree about making sure your form is right when your rear leg is elevated. It's really easy to let your upper body lean forward or to not keep your lower body in the right position. I just try to focus on keeping my knee from going forward and keeping my upper body upright. I'm not sure if a person would be better off lowering weight so you can get the full range of motion or keeping weight higher but a less range of motion. Definetly don't want knee injuries though!!

I'm on my 2nd round starting tomorrow. I should be able to finish Stage 4 before my surgery on Nov 29 (hysterectomy) - then I'll have to sit out for a while :-( I HATE the thought of that!! I hope I don't have to sit out too long and I hope I don't loose any strength while I sit on the sidelines :-(

I love stage 2 and 4!!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yep, I always am careful about not letting my knee extend past my toes, I think that going up in weight might have been the problem. It didn't hurt until the last set, so we'll see how it goes on Friday. I'm planning to knock out Stage 4 by 12/2, then Stage 5 by the end of the year. I'm really hoping to be able to do a pull up by March...

up2me - sorry to hear about your calf! I've always heard good things about Saucony's, I used to sell athletic shoes many years ago. I think some shoes are better suited for some feet and you just have to find the ones right for you.

idauria - thanks! I'm cheering you on too!

Tonya - Eek! Hope the surgery recovery is quick - I had foot surgery last December (before I decided to get into shape) and I can't imagine having to sit around and recuperate now, it would probably drive me nuts. I bet you won't lose strength or if you do, you'll recover it quickly.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'll be with you in Stage 4 next week. I got a little sidetracked during Stage 3 but I'm going to finish three more workouts this week and I'll be in Stage 4 by Sunday. I'm curious to see how much my strength has increased since Stage 2.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth,
    Did you take a week off between stages 3 and 4? Did you ever take a week off between stages?

Ana,
    Sounds like you're not going to take a week off? Have you ever taken a week off?

I did take a week off between stages 1 and 2 (twice as many workouts in stage 1) but not between stages 2 and 3. I'll finish stage 3 on Wednesday and I'm debating whether I should take a week off. I rarely lifted to failure so I'm not too worried about muscle fatigue/recovery but after re-reading page 127 I'm a little concerned about my connective tissues, nervous system and bones.

What have others done? How often and when did you take a week off, if ever? Thanks!
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Elizabeth,
    Did you take a week off between stages 3 and 4? Did you ever take a week off between stages?

Ana,
    Sounds like you're not going to take a week off? Have you ever taken a week off?

I did take a week off between stages 1 and 2 (twice as many workouts in stage 1) but not between stages 2 and 3. I'll finish stage 3 on Wednesday and I'm debating whether I should take a week off. I rarely lifted to failure so I'm not too worried about muscle fatigue/recovery but after re-reading page 127 I'm a little concerned about my connective tissues, nervous system and bones.

What have others done? How often and when did you take a week off, if ever? Thanks!

Answered in a profile post, but I'll answer here too in case anyone wonders in the future. I took off a week between 1 and 2, but not since. With the holidays approaching, I'm sure I'll have enough off time trying to work around days off, etc.

That said, I am so happy today's a rest day! My lunch obligation cancelled and for a fleeting sec I thought about working out, but nope, I need the rest. I am SO SORE from yesterday's workout and I just have that tired feeling, even though I got plenty of sleep last night. So gonna rest and relax and hit it hard tomorrow!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I took a week off between each stage. But my "off" week was still full of exercise. I can't just sit. LOL I did things like pull out some old DVD's or try a new class at the gym or find some kettlebell workouts to do. I didn't do any really HEAVY lifting, but I did workout during my off weeks. I could really tell the difference between stage 4 and 5 that my strength and stamina had improved over that week of no heavy lifting.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the Stage 4 grid and I was surprised to see a choice of sets, 2 or 3. How many sets are you doing?
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I'm doing 3. I upped the weights on the front squat push press and yesterday I upped the weights on deadlifts. The last set was difficult because of my grip strength, but it's supposed to be, right? I'm going to try the mixed grip a few folks recommended the next time I do DLs.
  • idauria
    Options
    I just finished up stage 3 today. Will be starting stage 4 on Monday. I'll be needing it after this long holiday weekend!
  • idauria
    Options
    So I did stage 4 workout A today. I still hate the squat push/press. I still have a hard time getting proper form with the barbell and was not able to complete 3 full sets of 8. I don't see myself ever increasing weight on this one. And...2 min planks...are you kidding me? They were hard! I did two sets of 2 mins and the last set I could only hold out for 90 seconds. My shoulders were burning, still are. Everything else was great. I was able to increase weight for just about everything else from where I left off in stage 2. However, I still think I prefer workout A to workout b.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    When I first did Workout A, I could only do 6 reps, not 8. Today was my third Workout A and with the holiday and laziness on my part, it had been 10 days since I last did that workout. It's an understatement to say that it kicked my butt! Didn't help that I didn't pay attention and loaded 10 lb. plates onto the Oly. bar instead of 5s!

I got through it. Renewed my dedication to eating properly to fuel my workouts - the last four days have been a carb fest with nothing close to the amount of protein I should (and regularly do) eat. There's roughly 3 1/2 weeks until xmas break, so I'm going to be militant with working out, taking supps and eating properly! Cause you know I'm making my annual xmas cookies!
  • idauria
    Options
    When I first did Workout A, I could only do 6 reps, not 8. Today was my third Workout A and with the holiday and laziness on my part, it had been 10 days since I last did that workout. It's an understatement to say that it kicked my butt! Didn't help that I didn't pay attention and loaded 10 lb. plates onto the Oly. bar instead of 5s!

I got through it. Renewed my dedication to eating properly to fuel my workouts - the last four days have been a carb fest with nothing close to the amount of protein I should (and regularly do) eat. There's roughly 3 1/2 weeks until xmas break, so I'm going to be militant with working out, taking supps and eating properly! Cause you know I'm making my annual xmas cookies!

Oh yeah, the past four days have been a carb and sugar frenzy around here! But I am back on track today even though there's still cake and cookies in my fridge. I really need some discipline here! I had to laugh that you put more weight on the bars that intended. That's a lot of extra weight!

I am resolved to eating little or no sugar until Christmas. I tried my best to eat well until Thanksgiving. I originally wanted to go 6 weeks without sugar but after 2 weeks I gave in. But I still did pretty well until Thanksgiving, when I knew I'd be surrounded by yummy things. We had three yummy pies for dessert and of course I had a small slice of each. Then my mother in law came up on Friday for the weekend and she brought cookies and a birthday cake for my daughter. Last night we finished holiday leftovers and I managed to only eat 1 cookie yesterday. So today I'm back on the wagon.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Oh yeah, the past four days have been a carb and sugar frenzy around here! But I am back on track today even though there's still cake and cookies in my fridge. I really need some discipline here! I had to laugh that you put more weight on the bars that intended. That's a lot of extra weight!

I am resolved to eating little or no sugar until Christmas. I tried my best to eat well until Thanksgiving. I originally wanted to go 6 weeks without sugar but after 2 weeks I gave in. But I still did pretty well until Thanksgiving, when I knew I'd be surrounded by yummy things. We had three yummy pies for dessert and of course I had a small slice of each. Then my mother in law came up on Friday for the weekend and she brought cookies and a birthday cake for my daughter. Last night we finished holiday leftovers and I managed to only eat 1 cookie yesterday. So today I'm back on the wagon.

I hear ya. I had dinner at my house this year, so I made two pies and a pineapple upside down cake! We finished the last of all three last night, so the only sweets in the house are my usual treats of greek yogurt/protein powder, thankfully. I'd say that I'm swearing off sugar until xmas, but my b'day is Monday and I'm sure there will be some sort of treat involved. However, I've told my husband not to get me a cake (or a whole chocolate cheesecake, like he did last year!) - I want to go to a restaurant and have one serving of a yummy dessert with no leftovers! Actually, I might skip that too, depends on how I'm feeling.

Sugar is addictive to me, every time I have it, I want MORE. All the more reason to avoid it for the most part!
  • idauria
    Options
    Yes, sugar is very addictive!!! I know I am better off not even having a little or else I end up only wanting more! It just lights up the pleasure centers of the brain like nothing else, except maybe chocolate which has sugar in it too. I am glad my birthday is over...but my daughter's birthday is actually coming up on the 9th. I don't know if I can manage to not eat any cake. We'll see how it goes up until then. Sometimes I really want to be able to eat what I want when I want and not worry about everything I put into my mouth.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    Sometimes I really want to be able to eat what I want when I want and not worry about everything I put into my mouth.

Yeah, that's how I ended up 211 lbs. at 5'03 and in terrible shape! :laugh:

I'm actually beginning to prefer eating healthy food. My lunch salad today was phenomenal after not having fresh veggies for a few days. I didn't like the way I felt after meals over the past few days - too full, lethargic, even had heartburn a couple of times. I haven't had heartburn in over six months! There is no way in hades that I'd ever go back to eating that way on a regular basis.
  • idauria
    Options
    Stage 2 Workout B done! I was able to increase weight to 60lbs for the deadlifts. By the end of the third set my hands were aching and I was afraid I was going to drop the barbell! That would have been bad, lol. I am still using 5lbs for the cuban snatch but I think I am going to try to increase to 8lbs next time. I'm pretty tired right now. On workout days I am so wiped I usually fall asleep on the couch by 9, lol.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I did S4WA1 today and it was hard!!!!. I have been eating 1200 calories a day for the last 2 weeks in order to try to cut some fat. I cant wait to up my calories because I am not feeling very strong. The 120 seconds plank were brutal!!!
  • idauria
    Options
    Yes, holding planks for 120 seconds is rough! I was supposed to do workout A today but I'm just not feeling it so I'm going to do it tomorrow. My body is still pretty sore right now from the B workout the other day, especially my lower back. I've been having issues with that for months now. Even with proper stretching it's always so tight. Doing deadlifts can totally kill me even when I'm doing them right I feel the strain down there. So I need the extra rest day this week. Although I did do JM's 6 week 6 pack yesterday so it wasn't a total rest day. I'm digging that workout btw.