Stereotypes and Body Types

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
Lesbians are burly. Gay men are skinny. Right?

Oh, unless you're a lipstick or a bear, in which case you're pretty (lipstick) or big and hairy (bear).

*sigh* We all know that we face stereotypes about our love lives and our promiscuity/disease-status/etc. But we're also constantly inundated with stereotypes about what our bodies should look like.

I hate these stereotypes, but that's not to say they're not seductive. I've caught myself wondering if I "pass" for straight, if I'm a pretty lesbian (I like makeup and skirts!) or a butch lesbian (I have short hair and muscles!). I constantly struggle with the body I want to have and the body I feel like I'm expected to have. I want muscles, but I find myself wary of muscles lest someone should think I'm too butch to be with my male partner.

It's true -- I find myself sabotaging my own goals, sometimes, because of the urge I feel to undermine these stereotypes that are ascribed to me.

Which makes me want to say this to myself and to everyone else: don't let others define you and your body. Go strive for and achieve the healthy body you want, regardless of whether people think it's the body that you're supposed to have or not.

That is all :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Stereotypes suck in general. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and be happy with yourself. How do we really know what sort of body we "should" or "should not" have?

Stick to your goals dreamhazer! :) Be happy with who you want to be :)
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    don't let others define you and your body. Go strive for and achieve the healthy body you want, regardless of whether people think it's the body that you're supposed to have or not.

^^This! You said it perfectly! This is your body, you're the only that gets to control how it looks, good or bad, and yours is the only opinion that truly matters.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Amen to that.

I'm also tired of people thinking I should have short hair just 'cause I'm gay. HAIR DOESN'T HAVE A SEXUALITY, OH MY GOD.
  • Unwrapping_Candy
    Unwrapping_Candy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't like stereotypes at all either. Before Jennifer left me we'd frequently have to deal with being stereotyped even by other lesbians. Jen, being smaller than me, was stereotyped as being feminine while mainly based on my size I was stereotyped as being butch. I am far from "butch" and I really don't like the word all that much, but out of Jen and I she was definitely butch and I was/am definitely femme. Labels, labels everywhere and they do no good do they? In fact, I believe they do our community a lot of harm. I'd love to see more discussion on this topic. :flowerforyou:
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I wrote an article on this for my social problems class if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.krystinaprassos.com/Krystina_Prassos/Writings/Entries/2011/10/25_Gender_Roles.html
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Amen to that.

I'm also tired of people thinking I should have short hair just 'cause I'm gay. HAIR DOESN'T HAVE A SEXUALITY, OH MY GOD.

Of course hair has a sexuality. ._. People. I swear. The second I went all natural and cut off my permed hair, my aunt asked me if I was a lesbian. W.T.F?

"But.. you don't look gay." Granted, I'm not, but I didn't know gay had a look.
  • sangostar
    sangostar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I was afraid to cut my long hair, not because I was afraid people would call me more butch. But because how it framed my face made me think I looked less fat/big. Last year I had a friend tell me I would look great with short hair. I had this short wig for halloween and she convinced me about it. I was wishywashy for weeks and then cut my hair. I slowly started to like it a lot. Now I can totally see people wanting to call me more butch with short hair but I don't care. XD
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. I have had long hair and short (this summer I shaved my head -- I'm a baker, and the kitchen was 90!). I can look as butch or as femme as I want (I am neither). I don't really care as long as I'm comfortable.

Do what is healthy for yourself. If you want muscles, then go for it.
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've always found this topic really interesting. People are often baffled by my marriage because both my wife and I have long hair and wear make-up. For some reason it's difficult for them to believe we could possibly have relationship unless one of us is the
    "man" of the situation.

They ask a lot of questions. Typically when it gets to the point where they mention I don't wear dresses or skirts I automatically get labeled as "butch". Yeah, there's something super butch about wearing mascara everyday and knowing absolutely nothing about sports, isn't there? Most often I just nod and hope the conversation ends.

I think it's silly. I have very little need for those words or titles in my life. I love my wife and that's all people really need to understand. Trying to shove all these gender roles on us is really just making things more complicated.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Originally the bear community started as anyone who didn't fit the stereotype of the skinny, outrageously flamboyant, queen. That could include body type and behavior. As of late we seemed to have placed a little too much emphasis on the physical for my tastes.

EDIT: Here's my husband and I waiting to get married. Neither one of is what you'd call particularly femme. As a side note, that's probably about 60lbs ago for me (on the right).

MikenTomwedding_3.jpg
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i've been called everything from a "girl next door" to a "pillow princess" for my sexuality and the way i look and act.

it seriously pisses me off. my ex girlfriend and i were together for nearly six years... yeah. hell of a pillow princess there.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. I have had long hair and short (this summer I shaved my head -- I'm a baker, and the kitchen was 90!). I can look as butch or as femme as I want (I am neither). I don't really care as long as I'm comfortable.

This. I've shaved my head and I've had really long hair. I love sports and I own more make-up than I'm proud to admit. I haven't (as of yet) had many labels thrust upon me.
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Originally the bear community started as anyone who didn't fit the stereotype of the skinny, outrageously flamboyant, queen. That could include body type and behavior. As of late we seemed to have placed a little too much emphasis on the physical for my tastes.

EDIT: Here's my husband and I waiting to get married. Neither one of is what you'd call particularly femme. As a side note, that's probably about 60lbs ago for me (on the right).

MikenTomwedding_3.jpg

You two are adorable.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

MikenTomwedding_3.jpg
    You two are adorable.
    I'll second that... What a handsome couple :smooched: :flowerforyou:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I had a customer who hadn't seen me for awhile ask if I cut my hair because I wanted to get in touch with my inner lesbian. I glared.
  • KittMahan
    Options
    *Like* a great deal :)

Lesbians are burly. Gay men are skinny. Right?

Oh, unless you're a lipstick or a bear, in which case you're pretty (lipstick) or big and hairy (bear).

*sigh* We all know that we face stereotypes about our love lives and our promiscuity/disease-status/etc. But we're also constantly inundated with stereotypes about what our bodies should look like.

I hate these stereotypes, but that's not to say they're not seductive. I've caught myself wondering if I "pass" for straight, if I'm a pretty lesbian (I like makeup and skirts!) or a butch lesbian (I have short hair and muscles!). I constantly struggle with the body I want to have and the body I feel like I'm expected to have. I want muscles, but I find myself wary of muscles lest someone should think I'm too butch to be with my male partner.

It's true -- I find myself sabotaging my own goals, sometimes, because of the urge I feel to undermine these stereotypes that are ascribed to me.

Which makes me want to say this to myself and to everyone else: don't let others define you and your body. Go strive for and achieve the healthy body you want, regardless of whether people think it's the body that you're supposed to have or not.

That is all :flowerforyou:
  • humglum
    humglum Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both have long hair and wear makeup. I get pedicures and salon treatments. Neither of us are butch or manly. I think these labels are heteronormative. Neither of us act like a man because we are not men and not trying to emulate the typical heterosexual union. It is hard for people to understand.
    I am 'burlier' than I would like to be. That's why I'm here. :)
    Also we have a cat. All lesbians have cats.
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I agree labels are wrong. I, myself, get told all the time that I 'don't look like a lesbian'. I hate that. BUT with that being said, I really feel like our community really plays UP to those labels. Especially in the midwest. I have been a part of the Chicago 'burbs lesbian scene and now I live in Milwaukee and even though i don't go out as much, i still see it. The lesbian community LIKES the butch-femme dynamic. People automatically think if your a 'butch' you should be with a femme and vice versa. My Gf happens to be what I guess you would call a 'butch'. She doesn't call herself that and hates the label. It also seems that older lesbians tend to be more label orientated then younger ones. Maybe it's not like this everywhere, but from my perspective, it is here. people don't take two 'femme' lesbians that are together seriously and think that two 'butch' lesbians together are weird. I'm not sure how it is with the guys, but that's what I've seen in my almost 20 years of being out int he community.

I think labels hurt us. It's what people talk about on TV and when we get made fun of they always show some burly women in a flannel with a mullit. Or they show some really flamboyant gay man and to them, that is what we all look like.

We need to start eliminating 'labels' within the community, and start accepting each other for all the wonderful differences each of us have.
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't feel any need to dispell stereotypes, just be who you are, who cares if you reinforce or dispell a stereotype. I'm neither butch nor femme, but I can make myself look either way with body language & clothing. I lovvvve strong women, hot, hot, hot, lol.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Too many people need to simplify or distort and reclassify things they don't understand so that they fit into their expected social patterns. These labels for same sex couples are based on the expectation that man/woman is the "normal" relationship dynamic, because many people seem to be more comfortable with gay relationships that somehow mimic that dynamic.

Of course the truth is that people and their relationships are wondrously varied. Most lesbian couples I know do not believe the 'butch/femme' label makes any sense in their relationship.

What is more, many of my straight female friends don't identify as being particularly 'feminine' in the traditional sense and many of my male straight friends reject the traditional trappings of masculinity as outdated, patriarchal, and stifling.

These pictures fit for some people, because almost any picture will fit some portion of the population. Those people should continue being who they are and the rest of us should respect them and respect ourselves, and continue on our own merry way.