Birth Control

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
How has birth control affected your weight loss?

Discuss.

Replies

• Jorra
    Options
    I'm gonna be the first to answer because I've got a gripe with mine right now.

I'm on the depo shot, and it really hasn't affected my weight loss at all. I started it at the same time as MFP. Usually it suppresses my period so I don't get one at all. However, I have had a near constant period since my last shot about a month ago. It's so annoying! :explode:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My birth control made me gain 80 pounds.

Or maybe that was the baby my birth control failed to prevent.

(Depo, btw)
  • Jorra
    Options
    My birth control made me gain 80 pounds.

Or maybe that was the baby my birth control failed to prevent.

(Depo, btw)

Well, crap. I'd say my depo is working pretty well. Can't get pregnant if I'm on my period because I'm not getting any!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My first shot I menstruated for 3 entire months. After that I was period-less for 4 years. Then I suddenly got my period again for a month straight.... plus my boobs were really sore.... turns out I was pregnant.
  • Jorra
    Options
    My first shot I menstruated for 3 entire months. After that I was period-less for 4 years. Then I suddenly got my period again for a month straight.... plus my boobs were really sore.... turns out I was pregnant.

Ugh.

My fiance is going to be gone for the next five months in the military. I'm wondering if I should just skip my next one. I won't really need it...
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Depo made me a raving lunatic. I had every bad side effect you could imagine. I stayed on it for four years because of the lack of periods, though ... I'm pretty sure it played a role in my 100 pound weight gain, though.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've had no problems losing weight on my Birth Control.. Nor do I feel it made me gain weight.

I know what made my gain weight.. It was eating too much before I was on B/C and continuing to eat too much after being on B/C.

I couldn't live without my B/C.. the pain is too unbearable not to be on it!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    When I was on the pill, it didn't affect my weight loss in any noticeable way.

After being on the shot for almost three months, I have completely stalled on my progress, have been spotting for almost two months straight, and CAN'T STOP EATING EVERY FREAKING THING IN MY APARTMENT!

I feel like I'm PMSing constantly, with the cravings, binges, and moodiness. I honestly can't wait for this thing to wear off and go back to my pills.

/endrant.

On a good note, this is a super awesome group! Thanks for making it!
  • Jessyrabbit
    Jessyrabbit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lost 35lbs on Yaz. Due to the loss in body fiat I started having break through bleeding so my doc switched me to yazmin. Her thinking was that since there are little differences between the two I would have the same success with my weight loss. WRONG! I gained 8lbs and then would only lose a pound here and there even with the strictiest diet and exercise. I was switched back to Yaz after about 8 months and lost 10lbs almost INSTANTLY! Safe to say I'm staying on Yaz, and hoping I don't have the breakthrough bleeding or cramping that I had when I lost a good amount of weight on it before!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Pill (Yasmin), and I have been for probably 7-8 years or however long it's been since it came out. I've had no noticeable effects from it in terms of my weight loss. I can lose weight like the average person. But my body is sensitive to it so I experience PMS that is probably worse than what I'd get off the Pill. So I've tried other pills just to see if there were any that weren't so strong, but I was unsuccessful. Some were stronger, some were so low in hormone that it didn't regulate my period. So *shrug* I'm sticking with Yasmin until my uterus decides to give up already.

At least I know what to expect. The PMS week before my period, I gain about 2-3LB, and the week following my period, I lose it.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've been really curious about this, so thanks to those of you that posted (or will post in the future). I lost all my weight prior to being on BC so I talked to my nurse practitioner about the possibility of weight gain. She said quite simply that one could expect a bit of water retention in the first few months (ie. 3-5 pounds) but that most people stabilize after a few months once their cycle is regulated. She also said that people who gain more weight on the pill do so because it increases appetite (for many users). It's really what you do with the extra hunger that matters in the long run---are you adding more fresh fruits and veggies to meet the increased appetite or running to candy and chips kind of thing.

Personally, I'm not sure if she is correct or not. However, I have recently started logging again in earnest so that I can see if it is truly the pill or my diet. I can tell you that she was correct about one thing: I have an increased appetite which I am having to keep under control....but I'm only on the first month and I'm also on my period so I'm waiting to see the longer term effects.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Been on Lutera (Pill) for almost a year and I've lost a few pounds but that's really due to upping my activity and being more careful with what I'm eating. Ultimately it's made my periods much lighter and more bearable and got rid of most of my PMS symptoms. I do still get a little crabby and want to eat all of the sugar in the world ever, but thats pretty much it.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Was on BC pills of one kind or another for around 18 years to regulate my period. :grumble: Husband had a vasectomy about 15 years ago so I really had no worries about pregnancy. Every pill I tried made me feel like cr*p! :mad: Didn't matter which one I tried, I tried them all at one point or another... :sad: Long story short, I gave the finger to all the doctors that just wanted to put me on yet another kind of pill instead of actually listening to me.:explode:

Found this: http://gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/396/Vitex-Elixir-

Has worked miracles for me! :heart: I feel like a new woman! No more artificial cr*p being put into my body on a daily basis. :bigsmile:
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm on Tricyclen-Lo and it hasn't affected my weight at all that I can tell. The reason I was gaining wasn't my birth control, it was what I was eating.
    The pain off of birth control is just too much D: