• SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    once there is a heartbeat it's a living thing to me
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Just to throw a wrench in the debate:::

Many types of birth control not only attempt to prevent eggs from being fertilized, but have a fail-safe in that they thicken the cervical mucus making the uterus inhospitable to the egg if it does happen to become fertilized. The fertilized egg is prevented from implanting and gets flushed out of the body (and probably down your toilet). Birth controls that do this? The Pill, the Nuva Ring, and the Cervical Implant.

So! If "life" starts when egg meets sperm, does that make the use of these three most common types of birth control a form of murder?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    at some point it becomes a philosopical issue and less of a scientific one, since when we get down to the chromosome level it all kind of becomes obscure and unrelatable. its hard to say that a single cell can be classified as 'life' in any qualitative aspect.

so i'll just leave it at that :)

Haha single cell creatures would argue with you, if they could.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I think the minute that little ovum is fertilized you have the beginning of life. It may not be life as in a complete person, but it is a group of living cells growing, maturing and processing. Everything that makes up a person is being developed. I personally think from the minute of conception you have a person.

I agree with everything except the last sentence. From the moment of conception you have a parasite. That parasite may result in a wanted child, but while it is feeding off of its host, it is a parasite.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything except the last sentence. From the moment of conception you have a parasite. That parasite may result in a wanted child, but while it is feeding off of its host, it is a parasite.

Actually they have found that this specific parasite feeds off the host well through it's teen years and beyond in many cases.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    In the most literal sense of the word it is a life at the moment of conception. Of course, a virus and an amoeba are also alive. IMO it doesn't attain person-hood and all that goes along with that until it is viable. It is a potential person just as an acorn is a potential oak tree but crushing an acorn is not the same as chopping down a tree. Whether or not it's a life is a completely different topic than the moral and legal aspects of birth control and abortion. Otherwise, if it is a full person with all the rights there-of from the moment of conception that makes every woman who ever took the pill guilty of first degree murder.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    In the most literal sense of the word it is a life at the moment of conception. Of course, a virus and an amoeba are also alive. IMO it doesn't attain person-hood and all that goes along with that until it is viable. It is a potential person just as an acorn is a potential oak tree but crushing an acorn is not the same as chopping down a tree. Whether or not it's a life is a completely different topic than the moral and legal aspects of birth control and abortion. Otherwise, if it is a full person with all the rights there-of from the moment of conception that makes every woman who ever took the pill guilty of first degree murder.

^^^ That.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    - its possible for two different sperm to fertilize the same egg (superfecundation)
    - the sex isn't determined until later on in the process if my understanding is correct.

So this makes your definition a bit shakey IMHO

Sex is determined right away at fertilization, but it's only later on when the physical characteristics develop.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

exactly
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

Oooh, I love the way you put this!
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    Science aside, my own personal beliefs are that our souls choose our bodies before we are born and sort of plan out our life's purpose. Obviously that doesn't mean all of the events in our life, just the purpose of our lives.

Do I believe life begins at conception?? Honestly I don't know. I think perhaps it takes time for our souls and our bodies to merge and become one. I do believe it happens before birth, but I don't believe it happens at conception. So I suppose the answer is no, in my opinion.
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Actually they have found that this specific parasite feeds off the host well through it's teen years and beyond in many cases.

lmao lololol the same man who begs us to spank our teens. love it
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i agree with bahet, but viability is now at 23-24 weeks, that was 5 years ago with my twins. The neonatal medicine and instruments are advancing by leaps and bounds.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    how many 23/24 week premmies actually dont have serious issues and problems though. At what point do you say life at any cost, and when do you start looking at quality of life too?
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I think the minute that little ovum is fertilized you have the beginning of life. It may not be life as in a complete person, but it is a group of living cells growing, maturing and processing. Everything that makes up a person is being developed. I personally think from the minute of conception you have a person.

lol I agree completely....but hopefully a parasite that it's host wants
  • VeganInTraining
    Options

Many types of birth control not only attempt to prevent eggs from being fertilized, but have a fail-safe in that they thicken the cervical mucus making the uterus inhospitable to the egg if it does happen to become fertilized. The fertilized egg is prevented from implanting and gets flushed out of the body (and probably down your toilet). Birth controls that do this? The Pill, the Nuva Ring, and the Cervical Implant.

So! If "life" starts when egg meets sperm, does that make the use of these three most common types of birth control a form of murder?

I don't use birthcontrol for this reason. I am not opposed to other people using it, but, for me, anything that stops a baby that began to form (a fertelized egg) from coming to fruition is not something I will consider (for myself.) So, to answer the OPs question, I think life begins after fertalization
  • mvilla2426
    Options

I don't use birthcontrol for this reason. I am not opposed to other people using it, but, for me, anything that stops a baby that began to form (a fertelized egg) from coming to fruition is not something I will consider (for myself.) So, to answer the OPs question, I think life begins after fertalization

I totally respect your opinion and I'm glad you made the decision that works for you. I have never had children and I plan on keeping it that way, so I have an IUD and my partner and I always use condoms. To me using this type of BC-- the IUD especially-- is better than the alternative. Obviously as I stated earlier I think life begins at whatever point the soul connects with an unborn child, but I don't think that happens at conception. But I'd rather use my multiple forms of BC like I do than to either raise I child I am not capable of raising (long explanation here, but in a nutshell I have mental disorders and don't think I could handle raising a child), or abort a child (I am pro-choice but don't think I could abort) that I already formed a bond with. Call it the lesser of two evils if you want.

But as I said, I'm glad you made the right decision for you. My decision may be the opposite, but it is the right one for me. :)
  • VeganInTraining
    Options

I totally respect your opinion and I'm glad you made the decision that works for you. I have never had children and I plan on keeping it that way, so I have an IUD and my partner and I always use condoms. To me using this type of BC-- the IUD especially-- is better than the alternative. Obviously as I stated earlier I think life begins at whatever point the soul connects with an unborn child, but I don't think that happens at conception. But I'd rather use my multiple forms of BC like I do than to either raise I child I am not capable of raising (long explanation here, but in a nutshell I have mental disorders and don't think I could handle raising a child), or abort a child (I am pro-choice but don't think I could abort) that I already formed a bond with. Call it the lesser of two evils if you want.

But as I said, I'm glad you made the right decision for you. My decision may be the opposite, but it is the right one for me. :)

I definitely agree that an IUD is better than "the alternative" and if you're taking the steps you need to make sure you're not in a comprimising situation I totally agree with that. My choice to not use chemical birth control is probably more because I really want kids than that I'm morally against it. I made the decision not to use chemical birth control after having a miscarriage, presumably as a result of birth control use. I had always known that it will make the womb a hostile environment should an egg get fertilized but I didn't realize how much that would bother me even though I wasn't prepared for children at that point....I suppose that is a totally different debate though ;)
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    When the little swimmer decides to fertilize the egg it's life or aka baby. :happy:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    At the moment of conception.