Starting tomorrow

Options
aregensb
aregensb Posts: 239 Member
Okay, I've been meaning to start following the NROL4W since I read it about a month ago. I am finally making that leap! Went to the grocery store today and got my food ready for the next day or two tonight. I'm excited to start! I'm going to do my first workout tomorrow after work.

One thing I was wondering about though was the whey protein. I'm stopping by GNC tomorrow to check out what they have. I've never really used whey protein before, so I don't know exactly which brands are good. I'd like one that is low in sugar. At the moment, I'm mostly planning on having it with milk for the post workout drink. I'm considering GNC natural unflavored in particular. Does anyone have experience with that particular type of whey protein? Or if not, do you have any suggestions? My budget is between $20 and 30 for about 2 lbs. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like Isoflex, but if I were you, I would ask them for some samples. Try a couple and see what you like, and then buy it someplace cheaper. GNC is expensive.
  • aregensb
    Options
    Where would you suggest that I go to find whey protein? I have seen some brands at my local grocery store, but it looks like it's about the same price as GNC's online prices. Do you mean that the store is expensive or that the GNC brand is expensive? I'm not really familiar with any other stores that might sell whey protein.
  • Contrarian
    Options
    Are you in the US?
  • Contrarian
    Options
    If you are, bodybuilding.com has a lot of different whey protein and even Wal-Mart has inexpensive protein powders.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    If you are, bodybuilding.com has a lot of different whey protein and even Wal-Mart has inexpensive protein powders.

I just bought one at Wal-Mart. 16$ for a big 2 pounds tub. Taste delish and is 26g of protein for 140 calories
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

I just bought one at Wal-Mart. 16$ for a big 2 pounds tub. Taste delish and is 26g of protein for 140 calories

Name brand?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Name brand?

BODY FORTRESS
  • aregensb
    Options
    Are you in the US?

Yes, I am in the US.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    There are 3 types of whey dairy protein. In order of quality, price and absorbtion rate they are:
    1. Hydrolized
    2. Isolate
    3. Concentrate

Concentrate is the least expensive and contains more calories, carbs and fat. It's absorbtion rate is similar to chicken/turkey breast. Look at the ingredients list and the order in which they are listed. If concentrate is listed first, it has more concentrate than anything else.

I tried GNC's Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 in the vanilla flavor. It's a blend of isolate and hydrolyzed whey and it tastes great in milk. But the price is too much compared to others I've found online.

I now purchase 100% whey isolate from Amazon.com. There are other sites like bodybuilding.com that sell protein powders too.

I've tried Biochem Ultimate Lo Carb Whey in the Natural flavor and NOW Foods 100% Pure Whey Protein Isolate in the Natural flavor. I buy whichever one is cheaper at the moment (prices change often) and I never pay for shipping. Both are very high quality and have the highest protein percentage per serving; no fillers so they're very low in calories, carbs and sugar. I buy the natural flavor to avoid artificial sweeteners because I get enough of that crap in other foods/drinks. The natural flavor tastes awful in just plain water so I mix in some Crystal Light Pure. You can also mix it with milk. Never mix whey isolate powder in hot liquid like coffee or tea; it clumps.

If you want more information on protein powders check this out. It educated me.

http://www.proteinreport.com/
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Have fun on your first workout!!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb protein isolate powder. I like it because the other forms of whey protein gave me gas and bloating issues. It is kind of pricey though. I pay $37 for a 24oz container. I buy it on amazon but it sells from the Vitamin Shoppe. It's even more money in the store. I'd stay away from GNC, their prices are ridiculously expensive.

It breaks down like this per scoop:
    110 cals
    0 fat
    1g carbs
    0 sugar
    25g protein

Oh and the other thing I like is that it uses Stevia instead of other artificial sweeteners.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Have fun with the program! I get Body Fortress at Wal Mart as well-I mix it in my coffee and do a shake with water after lifting. Check Amazon as well.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I pick up my EAS 100% Whey from Walgreens. :)
  • aregensb
    Options
    I hear that EAS is a good brand. I'm also hearing good things about BNRG's Proto Whey. I think I'm going to have to buy a couple different ones to use during the day and then after my workouts. Who knew protein was so complicated! :laugh:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    EAS gave me horrible intestinal cramps but I am sensitive to lactose. If you don't have a sensitive digestive system it should be fine. But this is why I use a 100% whey isolate powder. Ever since I switched to Jay Robb I haven't had any digestive upset.