How do you feel about being in the weights room

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
I remember when I started this program, I was so scared of going in the guy's domaine. I had no way to not be noticed.
I am a girl
I am a 4'11'' girl
I am a 4'11'' squishy girl that had no idea what she was doing

But really, it was just in my head. In fact, I can say that yep, they look at me. I really can't blend in and I must look like a dork with my book but no one made me feel unwelcomed. Now I really feel at home.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I used to be really confident when I knew what I was doing, but setting out on NROLFW, I feel a complete n00b!

I don't know how to fix or choose the right weights for the barbell or how to use the rack, and for the step-ups there's only one step that seems to be permanently under a bench for someone's incline sit-ups. There never seems to be a trainer on the gym floor who isn't doing a PT session.

I ran away and used dumbbells on the mats area and did step-ups on the PowerPlate :blushing:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! When I started going to the gym with my husband years ago when we were first married I felt really uncomfortable. We used to go in the evening when the gym was packed with mostly muscle heads and it was awkward for me because I had no clue what I was doing. I have always been self conscious too because of my height(4'10") and I guess I always felt like everyone was staring at me wondering what I was doing there. Of course that was all in my head but it still made me shy. However when I started going to the gym in the afternoon after work things got better. There were less people and I started feeling more comfortable and sure of myself in my workouts. After a while I didn't care or even notice anyone else. I just came in, did what I had to do and left. Of course now I am totally used to working out at home and am not sure how I'd feel if I started using the gym again.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've always been in the weight room, I just have a better grasp on what I'm doing in there now. I do have to say that the first time I went in by myself in the morning a few weeks ago I felt like everyone was waiting for it: the little girl lifter. As soon as they saw what I was doing a few started asking questions about my program. When I was doing my altered push-ups this morning I heard the 2 big guys talking about them (I had my hands in blast straps and feet on the bottom of the bosu ball), when I get out the giant platform for my step ups everyone jokes around, in a few short weeks it's become home. My lifting partner is back from her wedding and honeymoon for 2 weeks now and I have yet to approach her about joining me in the wieght room because she's going to want to move back to evenings, but I prefer mornings.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I feel great! At first I didn't know what I was doing and I was a bit scared of the big, bad barbell. Now it feels great! I go to the gym after I drop my kids at school , so it's not so bad in the free weights room.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I am totally intimidated (have yet to start just yet)

I am thinking of doing a couple of drive bys to evaluate equipment and set up and what not.

I was wondering if I was to bring my book, or a clipboard with copies of the pages I am doing.

Nice thing is, I am not at a gym where the weights are utilized much, people usually just do the machines.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My first day I was really really nervous! We had an awesome female health and wellness director at the time and she helped me with exercises or equipment. Now when I go in it feels like home...:)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I am totally intimidated (have yet to start just yet)

I am thinking of doing a couple of drive bys to evaluate equipment and set up and what not.

I was wondering if I was to bring my book, or a clipboard with copies of the pages I am doing.

Nice thing is, I am not at a gym where the weights are utilized much, people usually just do the machines.

If you're feeling strange about carrying your book then def take a clip board with your log on top and copies of instructions for your moves behind for reference.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It has never bothered me. As it is, most of the people in the weight room I go to now are 20 year old boys. I shoulder press more than most of them (which is weird).
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I usually have the weights to myself - the men (and a few women) are doing Crossfit and the other women are on cardio machines. Yesterday I had to wait on the squat rack while another woman used it - that was totally okay with me! I think she's a fitness competitor, I need to befriend her.

The ONLY time I feel self-conscious is when I'm resting between sets. I really hate resting. I wander around, drink water, catch up on whatever episode of Hoarders is on tv...I'm thinking of using those 90 seconds to hula hoop.
  • femmecyclist
    femmecyclist Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    At my gym there's a women's workout area and a coed area - generally the coed area is FULL and there's not a lot of room to do step-ups (not a lot of benches)... It's super intimidating. I know I just need to get in there and get over it but I haven't been able to yet - it's also the timing. I tried one time but I went at the worst possible time (right after school/work). The free weight area is at the end and feels cramped. I haven't worked up to using the squat rack (which is only in the coed area).. I was just doing squats and lunges with 50lb barbells but I think I'm going to have issues getting it up to my shoulders when I increase the weight! My old gym it didn't feel that terrible but this one is veeeery busy.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I was really intimidated the first time I went in to the weight room. Ours is really small. not a lot of room. No barbells. Just dumbbells and machines.

So, I just started doing my thing. Now, I am not intimdated at all. I go in with my book, pen & training log every time I go. I've even had a few people ask where I find my exercises. I love it! :) If people are weirded out ... so what. LOL I'm getting results and that's all the reassurance I need.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    At first I was really intimidated. I started going either really early or really late, so there'd be maybe 1-4 people in the weight section of my gym. Now I don't care at all - I just do my thing. :tongue:
  • femmecyclist
    femmecyclist Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went in the coed part of my gym this morning and used the squat rack. It wasn't very busy at all - I did get some curious looks but that's probably because I was trying to figure out how to adjust it to my height! I used 85 lbs (the bar is 45 right?)- I think I could probably do a bit more next time. It felt great - I wish I'd started this sooner. Do you guys use the olympic bar for lunges? (or if you're beyond stage 1 did you?)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I went in the coed part of my gym this morning and used the squat rack. It wasn't very busy at all - I did get some curious looks but that's probably because I was trying to figure out how to adjust it to my height! I used 85 lbs (the bar is 45 right?)- I think I could probably do a bit more next time. It felt great - I wish I'd started this sooner. Do you guys use the olympic bar for lunges? (or if you're beyond stage 1 did you?)

I don't use the olympic bar for lunges yet. I started with dumb bells, now I'm on a pre racked 75 pound bar because I can clean that 2 out of 3 times. I've been avoiding using the olympic for 2 reasons: 1) I think it's a bit cluncky for stepping lunges and 2) I don't have a squat rack so when I do go so heavy that I can't get it up myself I'll be moving on over to the smith.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I don't use the bar for lunges. I use dumb bells. I think using DBs helps me with my grip strength.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I need to get over the intimidation.

I think if it was a weight ROOM, I'd feel better. But I go to Planet Fitness, and the free weights are all in the front, by the windows, with rows of treadmills, bikes and ellipticals facing the weights. I'm going to feel like I'm on stage. On stage facing a wall of mirrors with everyone looking at my backside. :laugh:
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    If any of you ladies ever feel intimidated, just remember that everyone else there probably feels the same (even if they don't look it)! The gym is a weird place but for the most part everyone is so wrapped up in what they're doing that they don't notice anyone else. And if they are paying that much attention to you, fuggadeaboutem! Anyone who is more worried about what others think at the gym aren't getting the most out of their workouts.

Remember, you are there to work out and get strong! Don't worry about what anybody else is thinking. Walk in like you own the place, go to the weight area and take charge! If you walk tall people will respect you, even if you are just a beginner and have to use low weights or make modifications. Being shy and timid you're never going to get the results you want, but if you refuse to be intimidated you will see progress.

Another added benefit of walking with confidence is people stay out of your way! If you look like you know what you're doing people seem more willing to let you use the bench or they'll make room for you :)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,939 Member
    Options
    I am not very intimidated in the weight room - but I think that is because I am comfortable in the exercise routine that I have. From all the research I have been doing on THIS board, I am getting pretty nervous that the exercises are things I've never encountered before - and that WILL make me nervous in the weight room.

However, I usually train over the lunch hour, and there aren't many folks in there, besides the boys from the nearby high-school - I can handle them....I'm sure I'm older than most of their mothers and they won't pay any attention to me!