Hi everyone!

Options
amys31
amys31 Posts: 108 Member
Ok ladies and gentleman if they wish to join....:smile:
**for those of you that were posting on the topic of last 10 lbs...please add other women that you think would enjoy this group.:heart:

What is new with all of you? any topics or struggles/achievements that you want to share with the group?!!

Personally for me, Ive been a bit obsessed with the scale. It seems, as of 3 weeks ago, to have taken a hold on my emotions and could either make my day or break it. I was literally being consumed with thoughts of "how can I lose weight", "what am I eating that isn't good", "what more exercise can I do"...so I decided to take a break from the scale and honestly, Im terrified to step back on. What I am going to do though, is test my body fat (I ordered calipers on ebay..thanks Jeanine)....Because at the end of the day isn't it bodyfat that we want to lose?

So my encouragement to you women today is this....what does that number on the scale mean to you? Is it "making or breaking you day?" If you don't know what physiologically can be causing the number to go up or down..I encourage you to find out...The scale does not tell you how much of your body is lean muscle to fat ratio...DONT let the scale run your life..:sad:

:heart: Lets be thankful for our strong bodies...today I helped one of my kids in a wheelchair, with a traumatic brain injury walk up 30 stairs...I thanked God b/c I was strong enough to help her achieve this (even though I was doing most of the work;).
Our strong arms allow us to hold our children and loved ones....our strong legs allow us to take the steps necessary to help a friend or someone in need...lets be thankful for our strong bodies.:heart:

Next up...Holiday Challenge..let's not merely survive the holidays....lets make it a challenge to get into the best shape during the holidays....why not? more to come ladies....:happy:

Replies

• holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what happened to the last thread, it sort of died when it went to part 2 :frown:

Thanks for starting this group amy, hopefully we can get things rolling in here! :happy:
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    When did MFP add this "Group" feature? Pretty cool.

I've been snacking a lot lately...stress eating. I'm trying to cut back since I see the scale go up. NOT the direction I want to be going. I've been exercising, but just a little lax than usual. I will be following a half marathon training program I found online as I was ambitious (or crazy) enough to sign up for 2 half marathons. I've never run more than 4 miles, comfortably, so this is a challenge for me. And since one of them is in early May, I will need to train during the winter...a Chicago winter no less. But I'm determined to finish both of them. I'm not going for a speedy time...just to complete them both will accomplishment enough for me!!
  • amys31
    Options

I've been snacking a lot lately...stress eating. I'm trying to cut back since I see the scale go up. NOT the direction I want to be going. I've been exercising, but just a little lax than usual. I will be following a half marathon training program I found online as I was ambitious (or crazy) enough to sign up for 2 half marathons. I've never run more than 4 miles, comfortably, so this is a challenge for me. And since one of them is in early May, I will need to train during the winter...a Chicago winter no less. But I'm determined to finish both of them. I'm not going for a speedy time...just to complete them both will accomplishment enough for me!!
    they just started the group section!!!
    Awesome goal for your half marathons!!! I acutally ran my first marathon last year in L.A....it was pouring rain and freeazing with high winds the whole time..lol which never happens in socal;) anyway you can do it, like you I had never run more than 3-4 miles at a time. Hang in there, b/c when you finish you will feel like you can accomplish anything!!!!
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and thanks to Amys31 for starting up the group.

I had the same issue with the scales last month (I'd started weighing in every day and I was getting really frustrated with the lack of progress) so I decided to take a break from weighing in for a couple of weeks. I also upped my calories to 1500-1600 net and focussed on exercising and enjoying the extra food.

I weighed in for the 1st time yesterday and I'd lost 0.5lbs!! Now I know that is a tiny amount, however after 6 months of plateau it felt amazing to see some downward movement!!

I think I'm going to carry on with the increased calories until this weekend and then I'm going to go back to about 1350 net and see if I can shift the last 7lbs.

I'll keep you posted!
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with the scales last month (I'd started weighing in every day and I was getting really frustrated with the lack of progress) so I decided to take a break from weighing in for a couple of weeks. I also upped my calories to 1500-1600 net and focussed on exercising and enjoying the extra food.

Hi everyone!
    This is also what I'm doing now. I had been at 134lbs for a month and a half solid (eating ~1200-1350 a day) and was getting really frustrated and weighing myself everyday. I ended up getting so annoyed that I was eating crap and put on 1.5lbs. That shocked me enough to getting back to it and the last time I weighed I had lost 0.5lb and was at 135.
    Now I'm eating more (I changed my settings to lost 0.5/week and I have a target of 1,490 which I'm sticking fairly well too. Since Sunday, I started calorie zig-zagging, and already I feel better! I feel like this may be a way to break my plateau and get things working! I'll be a guinea pig on this one and get back to you all!
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options

they just started the group section!!!
    Awesome goal for your half marathons!!! I acutally ran my first marathon last year in L.A....it was pouring rain and freeazing with high winds the whole time..lol which never happens in socal;) anyway you can do it, like you I had never run more than 3-4 miles at a time. Hang in there, b/c when you finish you will feel like you can accomplish anything!!!!
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! After the half marathons my new goal will be a full marathon. If you can go from 3-4 miles to 26.2 then that gives me hope! :smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the group, Amy! It is much easier to find than sifting through the message boards for the giant "last 10 pounds" thread.

I entered the last 10 pound zone back in June and was slowly but steadily losing until early September. I have been stuck at 147, just 2 pounds away from my goal of 145, since then! Two pounds seems like a small enough amount to say "Screw it!", however I would like a few pounds of swing weight as I maintain. I am currently in a size 8 but they get tight when I am knocking on the doorstep of 150. Being at 145 would give me a few pounds of comfort room to allow for fluctuations.

So far, in order to budge the scale, I have increased calories to what MFP considers maintenance with no change. From past history with MFP, I am fairly sure it always has me consuming less calories than I need so my new plan is to bump up my calories just a little more and see where that gets me. I always tend to fall a couple hundred under my calorie goal so I am trying to hit my goal daily, or get as close as possible. Fingers crossed this works!
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    **for those of you that were posting on the topic of last 10 lbs...please add other women that you think would enjoy this group.:heart:

What is new with all of you? any topics or struggles/achievements that you want to share with the group?!!

Personally for me, Ive been a bit obsessed with the scale. It seems, as of 3 weeks ago, to have taken a hold on my emotions and could either make my day or break it. I was literally being consumed with thoughts of "how can I lose weight", "what am I eating that isn't good", "what more exercise can I do"...so I decided to take a break from the scale and honestly, Im terrified to step back on. What I am going to do though, is test my body fat (I ordered calipers on ebay..thanks Jeanine)....Because at the end of the day isn't it bodyfat that we want to lose?

So my encouragement to you women today is this....what does that number on the scale mean to you? Is it "making or breaking you day?" If you don't know what physiologically can be causing the number to go up or down..I encourage you to find out...The scale does not tell you how much of your body is lean muscle to fat ratio...DONT let the scale run your life..:sad:

:heart: Lets be thankful for our strong bodies...today I helped one of my kids in a wheelchair, with a traumatic brain injury walk up 30 stairs...I thanked God b/c I was strong enough to help her achieve this (even though I was doing most of the work;).
    Our strong arms allow us to hold our children and loved ones....our strong legs allow us to take the steps necessary to help a friend or someone in need...lets be thankful for our strong bodies.:heart:

Next up...Holiday Challenge..let's not merely survive the holidays....lets make it a challenge to get into the best shape during the holidays....why not? more to come ladies....:happy:

I love this post Amy! You are a truly an awesome and wonderful person.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I love this post Amy! You are a truly an awesome and wonderful person.

Seconded :flowerforyou:
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I over ate two weekends ago, and I'm STILL trying to get back to the weight I was prior. So hopefully tomorrow I see that number again. Still on track with my increased calories, I could never go back to only eating 1200! My mood is great and I'm never ravenous. I'm slacking on my workouts, but I'm trying to move more. I went for a four mile fast walk last Sunday, my body was NOT happy! My knees and hips were so sore. I think it had to do a little with the cold weather, usually I can walk no problem! It's probably the last outdoor walk I'll get in due to winter setting in. I'm starting a new routine before I crawl into bed; ab exercises and pushups. I don't expect great results, but I hope to build up my endurance! I hope everyone is doing well. :smile:
  • amys31
    Options
    Im with you all on upping the calories! Im also doing the same....:-)
  • Angela_2_Oh
    Angela_2_Oh Posts: 579 Member
    Options

Lately, the scale has been a make it or break it for me. I have been stuck at the same weight for a while now. I feel like I would get a huge boost in seeing the next lowest set of numbers (for me, that would be 159.) I weighed today and I am 162, down from 162.2 which is where I have been hovering.

I do feel like I am getting close to a breakthrough, especially since TOM arrived yesterday and usually that adds about 3 lbs for me. Honestly, to even see .2 gone today shocked me. I hope I am poised for a good number next week!

Thank you for the reminder that it's not always about the scale!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Lately, the scale has been a make it or break it for me. I have been stuck at the same weight for a while now. I feel like I would get a huge boost in seeing the next lowest set of numbers (for me, that would be 159.) I weighed today and I am 162, down from 162.2 which is where I have been hovering.

I do feel like I am getting close to a breakthrough, especially since TOM arrived yesterday and usually that adds about 3 lbs for me. Honestly, to even see .2 gone today shocked me. I hope I am poised for a good number next week!

Thank you for the reminder that it's not always about the scale!

right now it is helping me reach my goal... i have about 5 lb to go. i would love it to move faster but i know the last 5 lb are the hardest so i'm trying to follow all of your example and increase calories. it's been hard because i usually eat junk when i know i can eat more and i am trying to hard to stay away from that. i just got a protein shake mix that i am going to try in the mornings along with my oatmeal and tea... hoping that this will add a little calories and also some much needed nutrients.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite amy :)

I'm Sarah, and I'm around 140-144 lbs right now. I am rather fit and generally healthy, but had the goal to push myself to a more muscular (lower body fat %) version of me, with a weight goal of 127.

This is really tough for me, because I seem to have found my maintenance at a fantastic 2100 or so calories, because I enjoy running and weight lifting so I am almost always in the gym at least 4 times a week.

In order to continue to lose this weight I need to stop eating at maintenance, which is my biggest struggle.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite Amy, I was glad to see you moved to a group.

I have found myself weighing twice a week now, when for 2 1/2 years I consistently weighed every Monday only. I'm just frustrated with the fluctuation, and thought if I weigh twice, I might actually catch a loss once in awhile. Haha, the things we tell our selves.

Last week I had a lot of sugar and some diet caffeine, I try to stay away from caffeine and keep sugar to a minimum. I always feel like crap after having it, and both of them are triggers to have the other. I have put together my own workout, using the four workout dvd's that I have used a lot and gotten great results, but because of my knees bothering me so much lately, I cut out the squats and lunges, and added more knee stretches. It's been a great workout, I'm very happy with it, I also increased my weights a bit too. But my cardio on the off days has been walking, and my over all calorie burn isn't what I like it to be, so I'm really feeling bummed about that. I'm starting to get mad at myself, and wanting to do more no matter how my knees feel. I increased my calories by 50, so I'm at 1400 now, I want to try and go up some more, but where I was having so much sugar, I need to have a week or two without so much, before I really know how it's going to affect me. So we will see.

I'm really feeling kind blah right now with it all. I'm kinda wishing I had something to help me kick it up a notch, but I know really it comes down to me.

*EDIT* I just thought I would check and see where my calories would be with maintenance, and maintenance would be at 1480. So do I really want to try to increase?
  • amys31
    Options

I have found myself weighing twice a week now, when for 2 1/2 years I consistently weighed every Monday only. I'm just frustrated with the fluctuation, and thought if I weigh twice, I might actually catch a loss once in awhile. Haha, the things we tell our selves.

Last week I had a lot of sugar and some diet caffeine, I try to stay away from caffeine and keep sugar to a minimum. I always feel like crap after having it, and both of them are triggers to have the other. I have put together my own workout, using the four workout dvd's that I have used a lot and gotten great results, but because of my knees bothering me so much lately, I cut out the squats and lunges, and added more knee stretches. It's been a great workout, I'm very happy with it, I also increased my weights a bit too. But my cardio on the off days has been walking, and my over all calorie burn isn't what I like it to be, so I'm really feeling bummed about that. I'm starting to get mad at myself, and wanting to do more no matter how my knees feel. I increased my calories by 50, so I'm at 1400 now, I want to try and go up some more, but where I was having so much sugar, I need to have a week or two without so much, before I really know how it's going to affect me. So we will see.

I'm really feeling kind blah right now with it all. I'm kinda wishing I had something to help me kick it up a notch, but I know really it comes down to me.

*EDIT* I just thought I would check and see where my calories would be with maintenance, and maintenance would be at 1480. So do I really want to try to increase?
    Becky....great job making your own workout! also with the eating, good for you in starting your increase small. Keep resting your knees and let us know how the next few weeks go!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the group Amy!

I sprained my ankle (for the third time) on Monday, so I've been having to rest it with no exercise, which, frankly, scares the beejeesus out of me! I readjusted my calories to compensate...so I'm eating about 1250. So far, I've gained 0.6 in a week, so I'm not complaining. Frustrated a bit, but not complaining. I should be able to reincorporate exercise in about a week.

I've been weighing myself daily for several months now and really like it. I started when I hit a plateau and I needed the feedback to adjust (for example, I ate a homemade soup that made me gain an entire pound due to salt - I would have kept eating it all week if I didn't know). Personally, it doesn't make me stress or change my whole day. I think that probably would not have been the case earlier in my journey. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's just that I can see the finish line finally for the first time in my life and am confident I can get there and stay there. I also find it really helpful when I do have moments of frustration to look at those graphs of weight loss MFP provides under the tools section. Sometimes it's easy to feel like you haven't lost in FOREVER, but you check the chart and you've lost more than you realized.

- Christi

• Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have actually done the increasing a couple times in the last six months. MFP wants me at 1200, and I was too hungry there. So this was just trying to take that up another notch after keeping it in one place for awhile. But I'm beginning to think that I need to go back down, When I was at 1200, (I don't want to go back down that low) I wasn't aware of the benefits protein has on hunger, so I'm thinking I'm going to go back down to 1300, and see what happens. I have been stuck again for a few weeks.

Becky....great job making your own workout! also with the eating, good for you in starting your increase small. Keep resting your knees and let us know how the next few weeks go!
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone and thanks to Amys31 for starting up the group.

I weighed in for the 1st time yesterday and I'd lost 0.5lbs!! Now I know that is a tiny amount, however after 6 months of plateau it felt amazing to see some downward movement!!

I think I'm going to carry on with the increased calories until this weekend and then I'm going to go back to about 1350 net and see if I can shift the last 7lbs.

I'll keep you posted!

Hi Sarah,

I have the same frustration with scales as you had - and now I have also put them down for a while. But am still scared of putting my calories up (am currently eating 1200 a day). How are you going with it?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,971 Member
    Options
    I have traded in (most of) my much-beloved cardio for strength-training. This is a BOLD MOVE for me! I'm following "body-for-life" strength-training (as modified by my husband) for the next few months....it's a 12-week program, but I'm going to stick it out until spring, at least.

It means I have to STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE. Totally. And, I promised myself I would, and then I broke my promise on Monday and, yep, my weight WAS up!! Grrrrrr.

Mentally, I HAVE to get over the number on the scale and DEMAND results in "shape", instead (or the way my clothes feel). But, this is REALLY HARD for me and I won't win every single battle.

My gala is now a little more than 2 weeks away and, instead of focusing on the number on the scale, I'm wanting my (bare) arms to look SPECTACULAR in my dress!