Welcome to OA on MFP and a little about me

Options
forme2310
forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
Good Evening,

Just wanted to welcome you to the first group of Overeater's Anonymous on MFP. The only requirement to be a member is that you have a desire to stop eating compulsively. My name Larry and I joined OA in August 2010 and by the grace of my higher power I have lost 40 lbs. Yes this is a spiritual program not a religious program.

My name is Larry I am 41 years old well almost really in 20 days on the 22nd. I
am A COe and very emotional eater. I just wanted to introduce myself and share
what brought me here. I do have a partner named Mike for eight years.

It did not just start yesterday August 1st but it was my wake up call. Sorry If
I am long winded

Hey Here is some more history of what is going on my partner told me that I am heading in the direction of my mom as I am gaining weight. It. I used to exercise and did a little bit a fewdays ago but not consistent. I am heading in the direction of my mom this was pointed out to me today it hurt alot but the person that said it to me I know loves me. I had a really bad day today was scared that something bad was happening to me. About 12 I got reallly cold and got the chills and could not anything about it, was having a hard time breathing not as bad now but still am a little bit, was having back and leg spasms. I
dealt with it for an hour on my own and I think I was making it worse by getting upset. So I finally text Mike and we talked about how I was feeling and he did not think I needed to go to the doctor. This episode scared me when Mike came home he let me have it he told me he would hurt my feelings but he was trying to get me to wake up and do something about it. It got to the point where all I have been doing is doing little things around the house and going to work other than that I sleep for about 8 hours or so and I sit in the computer chair and do stuff on the computer. Last night is the first time I have done something
outside of work I went to our union Keep in mind I said I did not want to wind up like my mom as she died of being big and congestive heart failure. So I know he loves me. I guess what I want is for him to let me take it at my own pace and point out what I am doing good instead of just the negative does that make sense. He does not even have to walk with me but I am
afraid if I start he will do what he has done in past and push and push he showed that when I was walking the dog I was doing 1 walk a day and than he started pushing for two. I just dont know how to get him to understand without fighting. I don t want to do that as that makes me upset and want to eat. thanks for listening ( Side note we have been talking and he is starting to understand more and he ask questions about OA what can he do to support me and very understanding about the meetings and also with money on literature and changing the food we have in the house.

I love my mom dearly but she died in her 60 s due to be overweight and congestive heart failure she gave up on living. Even thought I went to work this is hard for me but I have went down that road I do take meds for depression. But today I am renewed I don t totally understand oa all the way but am trying. Any tips or tricks or suggestions you can give me would greatly be appreciated. I attended my first online meeting today and I am inspired and the willingness to learn more b

I went to my first face to face meeting yesterday I figured I would get >> there early since I was new. I was not sure what to expect but when I got >> to the church there was no one there yet it was about 1:15 and I was sitting >> there thinking of the reasons to leave like well maybe they no longer >> meet, they just did not update the website etc. But I did not leave as I sat in
>> the car I thought of the online meetings I have attended and the people I >> have met thru the loop and talked to God. I stayed and at about 1:25 the first car pulled in it made me feel relieved and I got out of the car when the second one arrived as she walked towards my car and I asked if this was OA. She told me yes that I was home and welcome to OA.

The meeting was very interesting as I listened to other people share as we went through the meeting we went over step one for the meeting by reading out loud and sharing. I did read but I went first and was not sure what to share so I did not share. I realize now that I met some very special people and if I open up and share they are there to listen and help and not
>> judge. One of the stories that was shared she was worried about her mom as she is COE but not willing to admit or accept it and she has given up on life
not doing naything. I am like wow I can really relate to that as my mom died in her early 60's due to congestive heart failure and she was very overweight. I loved her dearly but always said I did not want to wind up like her and up to recently I was heading down that path as all I did was go to work eat sleep and play on the computer. This is what I would have shared with
them and did share this with one man after the meeting. So I am not disappointed I just have to learn to share but I am also waiting to get the literature so I can really begin the steps. But this first meeting went very well I took alot in by listening and will share the next time which would be next Saturday. But there is another meeting on Tuesday night that I plan to go
too and I will share. I have not found a sponsor yet but I was told by them that usually a guy is with a guy but I also know that I need to make sure that my sponsor is okay or can deal with the fact that I have a partner
of 8 years. Becuase I feel strongly if they can't accept it than they will not
be the right sponsor for me as I am very emotional and some of that has to
do with my partner if that makes sense.

I have been absitent for 90 days as of November 7th and I am very grateful for that. I do not have all the answers but know that OA is working for me and can work for you. I have lost weight before and had lap band surgery even lost 100 lbs but there were two things missing the first one was that I never addressed what caused me to eat as I am emotional eater and the other was I was missing the spiritual side of me. Up until now I always felt that church and God were the same thing. I know different now as one of the slogans I really like is Religion is Man Man Made but God Ins't. The other one I really like is We will love you until you can love yourself. Last but not least If God is your Co-Pilot Change Seats.

Look forward to getting to know of you and remember this is a safe place to share. Once we have members if you would prefer I can make it a private group which means only those we invite can share. I wanted to give this a place for other compulsive eaters that are suffering to come and get help.

Take Care

God Grant me The Serenity
To Accept the Things I cannot Change
Courage to Change the things I can
and Wisdom to know the difference.

Replies

• 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thank You, Thank You and one more time Thank You...for starting this group. Had researched early last week to see if there were others with OA interest and found one.....

Just sent my sponsor a request to have our local website have a BLOG for us to share in...Now, we have a "home" to come to.

Attended a marathon yesterday...very enlightning...speakers were varied and I did identify with one.

I personally attend Tues. meeting in Melbourne, Fl. Also, I have a sponsor who works deligently with me by making me accountable for whatever hits my lips, journalizing and in general working the program. IT'S WORKING!!!!

BTW...our sponsors due cross-gendering sponsorships....NOTE:::: A good sponsor will not JUDGE your relationship. Number one, it is not on his/her side of the street.

Have been a yo-yo dieter all of my life to the point that I damaged my health. Not a good thing.

Now, I am working not only the physical part but the emotional and spiritual part of my being. It has been a life saver. RESULTS, RESULTS, RESULTS.

I look forward to your posting and that of other members and I will pass this GROUP INFORMATION to others. Hope to see more members SHARE.
  • forme2310
    forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for your share and I hope others will share too and please let others know this group exists.:happy:
  • Reignfyre
    Reignfyre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been in OA several years but had a relapse and now I have 61/2 months of abstinence. I used to weight 450lbs and have weighed between 180-300 for several years (at least I kept off 150lb! Celebrate the success, don't dwell in the failures!) Anyway, I am so lucky to have the greatest OA fellowship where I live. We may be small but we are a strong group. We are also a weird group because we have almost as many men as women! Anyway, so glad someone started an OA group here on Fitness pal. I will write more later and tell my other OA friends.
  • Reignfyre
    Reignfyre Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One more thing... I am a BIG slogan gal!

ACTION=Any Change To Improve Our Nature

ODAT- One Day At a Time

If I bite it...I write it!
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    OA ONLINE AND THE EMAIL LOOPS HAVE BEEN A HELP TO ME. COE IS DIFFICULT FOR OTHERS TO GRASP PARTICULARLY WHERE THOSE WHO DO NOT ALSO PURGE ARE CONCERNED. WE NEED A PLACE WHERE WE ARE NOT JUDGED AND LABLED. THE BIASED AGAINST FAT PEOPLE IS SADLY TOO OFTEN VIEWED AS ACCEPTABLE. OA IS A SAFE HAVEN FOR US ALL EVEN IF WE ARE NOT CERTAIN WE REALLY WANT TO BE HERE.

I HAVE ALWAYS STRUGGLED WITH FOOD ISSUES AS WELL AS ANOTHER COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR. WHEN ONE IS DORMANT, THE OTHER IS OFTEN ACTIVE. MY COE WENT BALISTIC AFTER I LOST SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT. THE FRUSTRATING STRUGGLE TO GET WHERE I NEED TO BE PHYSICALLY AND MY OTHER COMPULSION BEING INACCESIBLE WERE THE CATALYSTS.

TO AVOID WEIGHT GAIN I FOUND WAYS TO BINGE WITHIN MY CALORIE RANGE. I AM MORE WRAPPED UP IN COE NOW THAN WHEN I WAS OBESE. THEN I ATE LARGER PORTIONS AND DIFFERENT FOODS. NOW I AM ON A MISSION TO GORGE.

THANKS FOR STARTING THIS GROUP. I'M GLAD OA SUPPORT IS HERE.
  • babyblue1974
    Options
    sugar abstinent for 7 months, I struggle with food too but I am trying to accept myself for who I am and live the 12 steps
  • 226Muriel
    Options
    I, too, suffer from compulsive behaviors....

On 8/8/90 I was able to say, "Don't like the way I look forward to having a cocktail so I will never have a drink again" and I have not but went directly to eating my way to a weight gain of 183 pounds over the years....and could not stop....You have to have food and one bite was too much and 1000 was NOT ENOUGH.

Now I have found a program that deal with COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR...It is not just physical but emotional and spiritual....
    I am grateful for having found my OA home....Just have to find one in my home town when I go back, which is non-existent at this time...But, I am talking to my sponsor about starting one. My sponsor's answer was 'if you can read, you can lead'.

Thanks for listening,
    TRUSTING IN HIM
  • 226Muriel
    Options
    One more thing... I am a BIG slogan gal!

ACTION=Any Change To Improve Our Nature

ODAT- One Day At a Time

If I bite it...I write it!
  • 226Muriel
    Options
    Just love SLOGANS!!!