Self-Sabotage: How do you stop it?

Options
Just wondering what strategies you all have used to successfully stop a binge when you just really, really want to do it?

Also, for me, I often use bingeing to relax at the end of the day. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. Nothing beats the quiet "me" time of bingeing while reading at the kitchen table--after work's over and the kids and husband are asleep. Do any of you experience anything similar--that is to say--does bingeing "relax" you in some way (although you're dismayed at yourself afterwards?)

Also, I often binge when I'm consciously trying to lose weight for a certain event or by a certain date--almost as if I'm TRYING to make sure I fail. can anyone else relate?

Hope all of you are okay. Polkadot--I'm sorry you received bad news; would it help to share it?

Replies

• emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I seem to always have this problem! I think for me (being very general here) it normally comes down to getting that feeling like I won't make that goal so I've already failed and now I may as well just fail big. The "goal" could be anything really-long term, short term, just looking nice to go on a date with my boyfriend that night even.

Eating is also definately a relaxing thing for me. I usually try to exercise right after work so I don't fall into that eating for hours trap and also because that can be relaxing, but that often fails because I'm starving by the time I finish working out and basically just start binging and of course can't stop even once I'm full. I nearly fell into it last night, but a last minute change of plans saved me. I was going to actually cook something but instead I just made a quick veggie burger and ate one of those microwave veggie sides while that was cooking. Its pretty rediculous since it only takes like 10 minutes to cook a veggie burger but I couldn't even wait for that! I really wanted to keep eating, though, and I basically just had to tell myself no. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes making myself a fancy tea or some kind of non-alcohol drink works because I feel like I'm getting a treat. Sometimes I cut deals with myself, like I can pick one really tasty thing to eat that will take me over calories but then can't have anything else (seems to help with not feeling deprived). I'd love to hear what others use to get more ideas of things to try, though.
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That's really helpful, Ellen, thanks! And, although I'm not glad you have similar issues with food, it's just nice you are able to relate to what I go through. I do short-term self sabotage, too! I wonder if it's something with my brain chemistry and impulsivity. I mean, we're so good in other parts of our lives--faithful workers, family members and partners--that I guess we just have to rebel against control in other parts of our lives--unfortunately, it's rebelling against our own bodies with food!
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I had never thought of it that way, but that does make sense. Something to think about....
  • cschmidt42
    cschmidt42 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can so relate, I self-sabotage all the time. When I get to a certain weight there I go. I just can't figure out why I do it. I believe if I could figure that out and how to learn to love and forgive myself. I could get control of my eating. I have made some bad decisions in my life and just can't seem to forgive myself, I say I do but my actions speak louder than words.
    Bathsalts: Thanks for starting this group, I think it will really help me and give me the support I need! :smile:
  • cheekydeeky
    cheekydeeky Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i think i self sabotage (and let me apologize now, i'm going to get personal) because of my past. i've grown up believing being overweight meant there was something wrong with me and I was alone a lot as a child so my source of comfort became food. If someone (ie. family usually) was to make a remark about my weight I'd joke about it and shrug it off. But make a mental note of it unconsciously. I binge when i am alone. It makes me feel better (for a moment). I've struggled with it my whole life and now I'm seeing it in my daughter. that makes me sad. i'm learning there is nothing wrong with me and that i am a good person despite being overweight. one day at a time.
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You are a good person. And we will fight this together, all of us. Thank you for joining our group and welcome!
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I WISH I HAD THE ANSWER. MY ONLY TRUE DETERENT HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL WEIGHT LOSS. NO WEIGHT LOSS AND I FEEL LIKE WHAT'S THE USE. IF I'M MOT LOOSING WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF I BINGE? WHILE PRAYING I CAN ONE DAY REALLY STOP BINGING, I DO EVERY THING I CAN TO CURTAIL IT.

I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO REDUCE MY BINGING BY NOT KEEPING CERTAIN FOODS IN THE HOUSE. SADLY, I CAN BINGE ON ANYTHING MAKING ME QUEEN OF THE LOW CAL/ NO WEIGHT GAIN BINGE FOR ME THIS INCLUDES ANGEL HAIR CABBAGE AND SHREDDED LETTUCE. THIS DOES NOT STOP EVERY BINGE IT BUT IT FORCES ME TO WORK FOR IT. I AM NOT BEYOND A MIDNIGHT JUNK FOOD RUN. EVERY TIME I DON'T TAKE THE DRIVE IS A SMALL VICTORY.

ANOTHER THING I DO IS EAT SOMETHING SO FILLING I CANNOT OVEREAT. FOR ME THAT IS DENSE PROTEIN LIKE LEAN MEAT OR KONJAC YAM (SHIRATAKI). I CONTINUE TO EAT EVEN WHEN I AM FULL. THESE THINGS FILL ME SO QUICKLY AND COMPLETELY THAT IT IS PHYSICALLY PAINFULL TO EAT ANYTHING MORE.

NOT EATING SHOULD BE MY FIRST WAY TO AVOID SELF SABATAGE BUT I'M NOT SO EVOLVED YET. STEP THREE IS OVEREATERS ANANYMOUS ONLINE, (http://www.therecoverygroup.org/meetings/index.html). MEETINGS EVERY THREE HOURS 24/7. AFTER I'VE SEARCHED FOR BINGE FOODS AND SETTLED FOR SOMETHING FILLING I CAN HANDLE A MEETING. IF I DO THE MEETING WITHOUT EATING FIRST I AM WORSE AT THE END OF THE HOUR. CRAZY YES BUT COMPULSIVE OVER EATING IS A CRAZY DISEASE .

NONE OF THE ABOVE STOPS MY BINGE EATING. BUT, ALL OF IT HAS HELPED ME HANDLE IT BETTER. ITS ALMOST A CREATIVE PROCESS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WILL WORK FOR THE MOMENT EACH DAY.

WE WILL BEAT THIS. WE HAVE TO.
  • SanFranRunner
    Options
    I wish I had the answer to this, too. One trick that sometimes works for me is to pause for a moment and list the reasons why I want to binge. For example, tonight after dinner I was really tempted to binge. I stopped and had a dialogue with myself where I listed all the possible reasons why I would want to binge: because I'm hungry, because I was good today, because I can always exercise and diet tomorrow, because peanut butter tastes awesome and I want some, because my boyfriend is distracted in the other room and won't be able to hear me eating, etc. After listing all the reasons, I realized how incredibly STUPID they were. So I made the deliberate choice to not binge and eat a banana and some tea instead because I was actually still hungry after dinner. That's all it took. Crisis averted!

That trick works every time I do it. The problem is that sometimes my urge to binge is so strong that I deliberately choose not to have the internal dialogue because I know if I do it, I won't binge, and some sick part of me actually WANTS to binge. Yikes.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a way to stop it. I have learned to have that dialogue you mentioned, but I haven't learned to listen to it. I used to 'automatically' go to the fridge/cupboard. I now go, stop and think 'do I really want this?' then my brain says 'yes' and onwards I go. The 'answer' I know is distraction and not having the stuff in the house. One I'm better at than the other, but neither I'm good at just now.

However, I'm half way through day three of being 'good' (bad CBT language, I know). I had a terrible few months of binge/purge, I've stopped purging due to the damage I've done to my teeth, but kept overeating. I haven't binged in this last month per se, i.e. I haven't secretly eaten, eaten really quickly and with intensity, but I have overeaten, basically from getting up in the morning til going to bed at night. I have started taking anti-depressants which are supposed to be good for bulimia (they don't know why) so I'm attributing the 'difference' to that, and my regained control? Prozac? My inevitable regaining of control, which I have on/off? Don't know. Time will tell.

All I know is when I'm in that moment, nothing will stop me going for the food. And for some reason, I'm 'ok' at the moment. Why do we do it? There's the question. Comfort? Taste? Filling a psychological hole? Boredom? Anxiety? I think it's likely all of the above for me, and what the CBT has helped me realise is that I find it really hard to identify my feelings. So the whole 'what feeling am I masking by bingeing?' is basically like asking me how big the universe is or something. I just don't know - and that in itself is frustrating. Bah.

Anyway, go me, day 3. Can't be complacent but fingers crossed eh? These boards are great though - I no longer feel so much of a freak. Well, I do, but you're all with me! :tongue:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what strategies you all have used to successfully stop a binge when you just really, really want to do it?

Also, for me, I often use bingeing to relax at the end of the day. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. Nothing beats the quiet "me" time of bingeing while reading at the kitchen table--after work's over and the kids and husband are asleep. Do any of you experience anything similar--that is to say--does bingeing "relax" you in some way (although you're dismayed at yourself afterwards?)

Also, I often binge when I'm consciously trying to lose weight for a certain event or by a certain date--almost as if I'm TRYING to make sure I fail. can anyone else relate?

Hope all of you are okay. Polkadot--I'm sorry you received bad news; would it help to share it?

It is not easy but I use coping skills learned in my program.

Self talk - Positive self talk and talk to BED itself as a 3rd person

Regarding losing weight for a specifc event goes you are correct on binging increasing when you are severly restricting. Restriction causes binges per philosopy taught in program. I am working on not severly restricting and enjoying what I eat in moderation and mindfully.

Hope this helps.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I was invited to the group today by my dear friend Mollie :flowerforyou: and would like to introduce myself. I'm Diane and I am addicted to sugar, specifically candy & ice cream. Please feel free to read about my situation in my profile. It is open to all. Please do not feel obligated to send me a friend request simply because I am a part of this group. I keep my friend list very small, otherwise it is too overwhelming for me and thus counterproductive. And until Christmas, I will not be around very much anyhow.

To answer the topic question:

I remind myself it is not my fault that I am the way I am with food. It has been somewhat of a relief to me to have been able to establish exactly how my behavior started and why it has continued for so many years. BED is a very real disease and it has nothing to do with willpower.

I remind myself that changing my behavior is going to take lots of time and lots of practice. It can be done, but it will take a lot of patience.

I remind myself that perfection isn't a realistic goal.

I am only at fault if I give up.