What did you have for dinner tonight?

Options
kcalla
kcalla Posts: 49 Member
It's -25° out tonight and dropping, so I really enjoyed this meal.
Homemade chili con carne (no beans), grated & sauteed garlicy jicama, delicata squash fries. Pretty high in carbs but was good comfort food tonight!
270f248c.jpg

My recipe for the chili:

Paleo Chili Con Carne - Comfort Food!
1-2 tablespoons refined coconut oil (refined so it doesn’t taste like coconut, but make sure it’s organic) I USED 1 TBS OLIVE OIL
1 brown onion, halved and finely chopped
2 crushed garlic cloves
2 medium carrots
3 celery sticks
ALL BLENDED IN THE FOOD PROCESSOR AND SAUTEED WITH THE SEASONING
1 tablespoon ground cumin - I USED 2 T.
1 tablespoon ground coriander - I USED 2 T.
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (optional) I used 1 TEASP CAYENNE, 1 TEASP CHIPOTLE PEPPER

600-700 grams organic beef mince (3 - 4 LBS (CHILI GRIND by butcher) CHUCK ROAST - BROWNED and DRAINED)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce - I USED 1 TABLESPOON
400 gram can Italian diced tomatoes (or dice your own fresh tomatoes) (14 oz can) - USED TWO CANS
1/2 cup red wine - USED WATER
Organic sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - USED 1 1/2 TEASP SALT AND PEPPER
1 cinnamon stick - USED ONE TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
2 tablespoons fresh coriander (leaves and stems) - USED DRIED PARSLEY

Putting It Together: I throw it all in the crock pot on low over night. I find that this sort of dish really reaches its peak on the second day – enough time for all those yummy flavors to well and truly blend, so I make it a day ahead.
Tip: You can freeze this dish for up to one month – just place in an airtight container or glad bags (be sure to allow to fully cool in the pot before transferring to plastic, which will release harmful toxins). After portioning, packaging, label, date, and freeze. To thaw, simply leave in fridge overnight.

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    That looks a lot better thn mine! I had 6 oz. of chicken breast.
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Dinner tonite will be grilled salmon and steamed veges.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    chicken meatballs, zucchini 'noodles,' sauteed onions and mushrooms, marinara.. YUMMY!!!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Baked salmon with tarragon and olive oil; fried cabbage with bacon fat, caraway seeds and shallots.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Baked salmon with tarragon and olive oil; fried cabbage with bacon fat, caraway seeds and shallots.
    that sounds really good
    I had a hamburger with mustard and pickles..
  • kcalla
    Options
    You all make me want to go shopping and COOK! I tell ya, in this last year, I've chopped, cooked, roasted, etc. more than I ever have in my life! No more boxed stuff to throw together! It's all worth it though. I'm even starting to like cooking and have fallen in love with spices!! Chocolate Curry on roasted cauliflower is my current favorite. :smile:
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    A big bowl of greens, diced chicken, bacon, marinated mozzarella.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Dinner tonite will be grilled salmon and steamed veges.

That's what we had last night. Tonight probably chili.
  • kcalla
    Options
    Tonight was sauteed/garlic shrimp and heated up grated jicama. Deeeelicious!
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Flank steak marinated in a ginger/sesame soy sauce, crock-potted with onions and edamame.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Marinated grilled Tri-tip with sautéed crimini mushrooms and asparagus.
  • yummummum
    Options
    Frozen raw shrimp that I did a quick defrost under water....

garlic, broccoli, mushroom, olive oil with shrimp sauteed!
  • CRody44
    Options
    Marinated salmon and sweetaters.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Quick and simple tonight. Broiled ahi steaks, roasted delicata squash and sauteed green beans.
  • kcalla
    Options
    Thai beef salad (at a restaurant)...really no clue what was in the sauce...sugar? Dunno but I love it. A little salty though.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Forgot to take the meat out of the freezer so we had a bacon, swil and mushroom omlet.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Swil?

We had big-*kitten* salads with chicken thigh meat over the top, along with a bit of filet mignon I found in the back of the freezer. I don't do any fancy cooking the nights wifie has to work - simple fry-ups and basic knife work...
  • CRody44
    Options
    Oops, swiss, not swil. : P

Saturday night, we went out to dinner as part of my 21 Day Transformation. I had a shrimp soup, but it turned out to have a lot of rice in it. I tried to let the broth slip over the side of the spoon to exclude the rice, and was somewhat successful, but it was too difficult to fish out any shrimp. For the main, I had Veal Marsala but left the mashed potatoes and warm herb bread. I came home and had two Medjool dates for desert.