Veganism & Holidays

Options
Ugh! So for those in the U.S. Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Anyone else NOT looking forward to it?

This is my first Thanksgiving as a vegan and my family is already throwing kind of a stink about it. I've offered to bring my own food and will of course bring a delicious vegan side dish and dessert to share.

I don't understand why folks have to get so bent out of shape if you're not doing anything to harm them!

Replies

• CassOfAllTrades
    CassOfAllTrades Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be totally honest and say that I am throwing my vegan diet out the window and scarfing on some turkey. It's one day. That being said, I remember many years back when half my family were vegetarians and the other half carnivores. Since my aunt was hosting Thanksgiving dinner and she was on the veg side, we had tofurkey... in the shape of a turkey. The meat eaters were FURIOUS and ended up eating Chinese food. But you know what? It's a family joke now and we all look back and laugh. So don't let it get to you too much. Tell them not to make a fuss, make whatever they want, and if you really want something specific you can make it yourself and bring it to share. My cousin (a veg) started making a wonderful stuffing for herself that is now an entire family favorite.
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Family can be so difficult at times. I remember finding out that I was lactose intolerant and my mom telling me I'd just have to bring my own food. (At this time, my family was incapable of fixing a holiday meal that didn't have cheese in every dish) Now I find that if I just fix my plate quietly with what I want, no one really notices what I'm eating. If asked, I just say that I feel better if I don't eat Food A, and that I'm enjoying my Food B that' s on my plate.
    Like Cass, I'm probably going to have some turkey, but that's my choice. The important thing is to do what you feel is best, ask your family for support in whatever you choose, and love them in spite of any hassles.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK & have this problem at Christmas. We alway go to the in-laws for the holidays & bless them but they just don't get veggies never mind vegans.
    I started making my own Xmas dinner & taking it along & after a couple of 'teathing' problems it works out very well now. To the point that my sister-in-law asked for the recipe for the bake I had last year.

And I had NEVER been tempted to have the meat in 19 years. But each to their own I suppose.
  • traci_marie
    Options
    I was vegan for only about 2 months last Thanksgiving, and it was hard with family and all too. LOTS of questions, but no one was really mean about it or anything. I made my own tofurkey, vegan green bean casserole, and my cousin even left out some potatoes after she'd mashed them so I could add some Earth Balance and soy milk! I did end up spending a bit more than I would have liked to making things myself (over $20), so this year, I'm ordering the "Vegan for 1" prepared meal from Whole Foods. It's $15 ,includes a Gardein stuffed "Turk'y" (which is DELISH), Vegan Mashed Potatoes, Cinnamon-Dusted Butternut Squash, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Wild Mushroom Sage Gravy, and Cranberry Sauce.... they have it where I live (Austin, TX... birthplace of Whole Foods!!), so if you have a whole foods, you should check it out. I'm looking forward to having a delicious, healthy Thanksgiving meal and not having to cook a lot myself or spend a lot!
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Im am taking pause on Thanksgiving and Im gonna eat what I wanna eat. That said I usually focus on the potatos, green beans, etc and will be bringing some Veganchoices too get those carnivores to eat some veggies too. Its a chance for all of us (at our place) to appreciate each other more and watch some lousy football gams on TV.)
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'll be in another country for my first vegan Thanksgiving. Kinda bummed since there are a TON of yummy options to make for a vegan meal. I might cook up a feast in December anyway. It would be another story if I were celebrating with family. I doubt they would be accomodating to me AT ALL. I would love to invite them over to show them how freaking AWESOME vegan food is though. Or bring an awesome dish that would blow them awayyyyy!
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am always suprised that people hear you're vegetarian or Vegan and the attitude is you need to bring that kind of food yourself, but if you dont provide Meat, well then its pitchforks and torches as everyone storms the castle to hang the offending Vegan. But I also feel like just because I choose to eat Vegan doesnt mean the other fols should have to if they really dont want too. I still cook meat in my house for the carnivores to eat, and it really doesnt bother me. Some of it smells good and some I used to love smells gross. (Bacon STILL smells good too me. But chops of anykind make me sick to my stomach. Same with Sausages, I used to love them but something changed in the last six months.)

Years ago I remember my friend Dennis going to his sister's Thanksgiving and he was outraged that she only served Vegan foods. He was Ok with that but she told him he couldn't even bring his own casserole dish in which he made Turkey for himself and his kids to eat. She objected to it being in the house or even in proximity to her.

I have to say I'm on his side for this argument. I understand its an objection she has to the treatment of farmed animals, Im with you there, but at the same time shed be pissed or at least hurt if she was told she could not bring Vegan food to a carnivore meal. Everyone needs to think about tolerance of each others beliefs and practices. Just my opinion.

And if you are completely on his sisters side, Im ok with that too.
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The first year of being vegan at Thanksgiving was a bit rough. My mom normally did most of the cooking. So she made the mashed potatoes with soy milk and follow your heart, she cooked some of the veggies in oil instead of butter, and made me my own side of vegan stuffing. That being said the meal wasnt the same.

The year after that I took the initiative and brought a tofurky (to go next to the regular turkey) and I made a few sides for everyone that was vegan.

For the past few years I have actually done almost 100% of the cooking. And most of the dishes go over huge with my family. I think my dad actually enjoys it more because while we keep some of the traditional staples (mashed potatoes, stuffing, ect) I also like to try some new recipes so it gets mixed up. My mom likes it because after so many years she isnt the one spending all day in the kitchen...although after last year I think Im going to not make all the dishes...because that ****s hard work.

Im lucky to have open minded parents. Granted theyll tell me what they dont like...but Im fine with that.

Id recommend bringing food for yourself and some to share, because people are always curious...and maybe by them having some tasty vegan thanksgiving dishes they will open their minds a bit towards it. Good luck.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Vegan at Thanksgiving hasn't been hard for me. A few years ago, I took over hosting Thanksgiving, so I'm in charge! Last year, I DID do a turkey (purchased by dear old MIL) because I'm the only veggie person in the whole family. My MIL made her typical cornbread dressing and I made a vegan dressing with Field Roast Italian sausage. I made a ton of vegan sides, made a turkey gravy and a vegan mushroom gravy. Most of the vegan stuff was gobbled up and no one had any idea it was vegan until they saw me eating it. Everyone commented on how delicious everything was.

This year I am dropping the turkey gravy and will just do the mushroom because that was the most popular gravy last year. Again, tons of vegan sides. The apple/sage/Field Roast sausage dressing. Only vegan sweet potatoes (again, that was the more popular one last year). I will probably make some desserts vegan, but some non-vegan so I'm not tempted to eat them.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have been very blessed by a wonderful family that despite thinking that I am completely nuts will all make a special effort to ensure that i have something yummy to eat. My husband has just recently become a vego and I haven't had any functions since so I am not sure if I would supply meat or not. I think as long as whatever you do is tasty and everyone has something that they can eat and enjoy its all good. Definitely I wouldn't be against someone bringing food to my house if that was their preference, I understand its sad to see dead animals on a plate but I think that we need to show compassion first to inspire others to change. Again though I too am Ok for you to have a different view.
  • bgoodtn
    bgoodtn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both work in retail and our schedules on Thanksgiving negated us visiting family, so my first year as a vegan was fairly easy. I made us both fried eggplant/tomato sauce casserole, baked potatoes and my classic sauteed mushroom/onion/celery/peppers/scallion mix. I made her a couple of freshly breaded chicken strips as she loves veggies, but hasn't made the leap.