Frightening Calories!

Options
lemonadem
lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
So I started MFP back in April, and since joining have lost about 30pds. I set my goals up to lose 2pds/week, resulting in a 1,200 calories a day goal (plus eating exercise calories back).

Obviously that amount is way to low for me now.

Prior to getting this book, my workouts consisted of primarily cardio; with more and more strength training mixed in the closer I got to my goal weight. I am now 5pds away from my goal weight, and just started the NROLFW workout yesterday.

I know I need to up my calories. I've always known at some point, I need to switch to maintenance. But seeing what this book recommends is almost terrifying for me! Did anyone feel this way when they upped theirs? I love reading accounts of ppl eating more and staying healthy- I completely understand the concept, it's just a scary step for someone who is switching to maintenance for the time, and who is just now getting very serious about strength training.

I switched my calories in my goals today to reflect my new eating plan this morning. I also upped my protein macros, since MFP had me way below what I needed. Here's to day one of eating more and NOT heading towards being overweight again, but headed towards building muscle and being stronger!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I understand how it can be scary. But at least try it. I never ate below 1750 net even when trying to lose. Now i try to eat 2500!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight and lost it quickly doing the same cadio, calorie deficit thing. I was at roughly 1200 cals a day and I also ate back exercise cals. I starte the NROL in June and also hit my goal weight in June. Now I eat about 2000 cals a day and I have maintained my goal weight (give or take a few pounds during my monthly cycles). It was scary at first, but my body feels so much better now that it's being fed properly. Your body will thank you! My goal now is to really put on some muscle pounds. That to me is scary, to eat even more of a surplus. I haven't quite wrapped my mind around that yet. But I'm getting there.

I'm 5'6" and fluctuate between 119 and 124lbs. I started at about 160lbs in January of 2011.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I didn'y conciously find it scary but since I've started I find it difficult to change my mindset from my tiny calorie 1200 a day meals to my 1695/1900 a day. I've been at the 1200 cals a day for so long it's difficult to shake the habit. Like you I understand why I need to but it's easier said than done.

I do feel MUCH better for it though
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight and lost it quickly doing the same cadio, calorie deficit thing. I was at roughly 1200 cals a day and I also ate back exercise cals. I starte the NROL in June and also hit my goal weight in June. Now I eat about 2000 cals a day and I have maintained my goal weight (give or take a few pounds during my monthly cycles). It was scary at first, but my body feels so much better now that it's being fed properly. Your body will thank you! My goal now is to really put on some muscle pounds. That to me is scary, to eat even more of a surplus. I haven't quite wrapped my mind around that yet. But I'm getting there.

I'm 5'6" and fluctuate between 119 and 124lbs. I started at about 160lbs in January of 2011.

I just posted about the fear of the bulk!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rachel6503/view/i-will-not-fear-the-bulk-i-will-not-fear-the-bulk-169861
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I just posted about the fear of the bulk!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rachel6503/view/i-will-not-fear-the-bulk-i-will-not-fear-the-bulk-

Great blog post! I actually am going to do Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer Program after the Holiday Season has passed. I'm going to commit to 12 weeks...bulking & cutting. Excited and scared all at the same time.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day

I congratulate you for taking this frightening step. I endorse checking out the above mentioned group as well!
  • lemonadem
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!! :) I appreciate your responses!
  • lemonadem
    Options
    I understand how it can be scary. But at least try it. I never ate below 1750 net even when trying to lose. Now i try to eat 2500!

Oh I'm definitely trying it! It makes sense to me, and I think it will be for the best. I think it will be a tad nerve racking until I can see that upping doesn't mean hitting where I was again.

But I'm a different me now, one that lifts, loves the gym, and understands being fit. I just have to keep reminding myself of that!
  • lemonadem
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day

I congratulate you for taking this frightening step. I endorse checking out the above mentioned group as well!

Joined- thank you!!