How many calories do you spend at breakfast?

Options
reenymac
reenymac Posts: 14 Member
I'm just wondering, because if I spend too much at breakfast then that throws me out for the rest of the day, yet I'm fully aware of how important breakfast is and so I like to eat a good one. However my two favourite breakfasts are well over 400 calories which is a third of my daily allowance ! The 2 breakfasts I'm talking about I believe are good and healthy but everytime I eat them now I feel bad because I know it's eating into my daily allowance.. So just wondering how much of your allowance do you eat at Breakfast?

BTW in case you are wondering here are the 2 breakfasts I'm talking about.

1. My favourite green smoothie.

chunk of cucumber
stick of celery
handful of fresh spinach
big slice of pineapple
2 apples or pears or whatever is around

all juiced and then blended with some ice cubes and half an avocado (I know that's heavy !! but it's good fat :) Yum and to me super healthy.. but yet?

and then my 2nd which is my weekend treat.

handful of jumbo organic oats..2 apples juiced and poured over then 1 spoon of fat free natural yogurt, handful of fresh fruit (rasp, straw, blueberries - whatever happens to be on special) small handful of trailmix and a squeeze of honey.. yum like desert for breakfast and again I believe quite healthy.. yet it screws me up for the day LOL

Replies

• molsenrice
    molsenrice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're right, that smoothie sounds really healthy--good for you. :) Regardless, calories are calories, so you can still gain unwanted weight (or not loose it), while consuming even extra 'healthy' calories.

Some ideas:

1. The easiest one that comes for me: Pour 1/3 of the smoothie into a separate container that you can refrigerate for a partial snack later?

2. Have you tried the recipe with 1/4 avocado? That would cut 50 calories out Or, 1 apple or pear? That would cut out 50 calories. Or both, for 100 calories less? If you cut either of these out, consider adding 1/4 cup fat-free (or low fat) Greek yogurt for the smooth consistency you like. Plus, it will bump up the protein content to satisfy your hunger longer.

3. As for the weekend treat, what about limiting the oats to 1/4 cup and 1 Tbspn of trail mix? These are the most 'expensive' ingredients in terms calories. Just curious, do you use Greek yogurt? Brands Fage or Okios has some of the highest protein amounts without the added sugar.

Finally, if you can't bring yourself to cut any calories out of these delicious breakfast treats, just make sure you get in exercise that burns at least 200 calories on the days you consume it. :)

Good luck!

-Michelle
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MissionFitMom
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Typically between 200 and 300 calories. I usually eat kashi or oatmeal. My diary is open, feel free to take a look.
  • reenymac
    Options
    Thanks Michelle, yes certainly cutting down on an apple and 1/4 of an avocado wouldn't make a huge difference to the smoothie particularly for the sake of 100 calories also for the weekend treat breakfast to be honest I'm probably not measuringthe calories in that one that right cos I don't use more than 1/4 cup of yoghurt or not even 1tblspoon of trail mix... BUT the big one you mentioned is the one I really need to work on.. the excercise.. I just hate it LOL.. I'm so damn lazy its not funny... It's the one I know I really need to work on, and the funny thing is a lot of people who don't really know me that much think I'm so much more fitter than I actually am I get comments all the time - oh you must be so fit !! cos a lot of the people I hang around with are and I get the merit by association LOL plus I'm always on my bike and I swim in the sea every day so again people (including me !!) often think I'm always getting exercise.. but the truth is I stroll along on my bike never breaking a sweat and as for the swim.. well particularly this time of the year it's really just a dip not exactly taxing :)
  • molsenrice
    molsenrice Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even if it's leisurely exercise, sounds like your daily activity burns a moderate amount of calories which keeps you in decent shape! :)

If you're interested, my breakfast smoothies are around ~360 calories and looks like this:

1/4 oatmeal
    2 scoops of Life Basics Protein Powder w/Greens - Vanilla flavor (plant protein from Pea, Hemp, Rice with Chia Seed)
    (if I don't have the Life Baisc PP w/Greans, I'll use the reg Life Basics PP Vanilla and add spinach)
    1 cup of unsweetend Almond milk
    1 TBspn of natural peanut butter
    1/2 banana, 6"-7" in size [will sub 1/2 plain greek yogurt + 1 Tspn chocolate powder if I don't feel like banana]
    1/2 cup water if I feel like it's too thick

This breaks down to 369 total calories, of which Carbs=30g, Fat=13g, Protein=28g. This macro-nutrient splits seems to work well for me. I'm about 5' 4", and this smoothie can keep me satisfied for about 3-4 hours. I find when I let Carbs and Protein go below 20g in my meals, I feel in a daze and I get hungry again fast. :) But, everyone is different, experiment with what nutrient break-down combination works for you (# of Carbs, Fat, & Protein), and keeps you within your total calorie limit per day for your overall goal.

Take care!
  • reenymac
    Options
    Thanks.. I've been working on the exercise with thanks to my husband who's been yelling at me along the way to keep pushing.. we go under cover of darkness so no-one sees me LOL...So far this week I've been out 3 times with him we did a mile each time with me stopping at least 4 times and him shouting and me shouting back and nearly crying.. him saying stop crying and acting like a baby you're being ridiculous etc.. you get the picture but it seems to be working today I ventured out in daylight LOL ran a mile and only had to stop twice for little short breaks so my goal is to be able to comfortably run that mile without stopping then I'll move on to 1 /5 and 2 etc.. I've tried the C25K but the stop starting doesn't seem to work for me.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Sounds like boot camp!!!!
  • reenymac
    Options
    Yeah bootcamp where you have to go home with the instructor after he's put you through hell !! mind you he's great at the ol' praise when I do reach the end so that kind of makes up for it :)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've always been more of a chewer than a drinker. I have to chew something to feel satisfied.

My breakfast is usually between 200-300 calories. Weekdays it's usually Greek yogurt/fruit, peanut butter/banana, a quality cereal product, or pita and hummus on occasion. If I'm in a terrible hurry I'll drink 2 cups of chocolate milk, but that's not often.

On weekends its usually an egg ( veggie omlet style or with reduced fat cheese) and 1 slice whole grain bread. I use the Eggland's Best brand eggs, I love the way they taste.

I would like some new ideas though!
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a piece of fruit or two, I am so not a breakfast person. but i snack alot.