Protein or Pre/Post Workout drinks in AUSTRALIA

Options
Rachiepie6
Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
Hey, I was just wondering if any of you drink protein shakes, or pre/post workout drinks, and where do you get what?
Planning on looking in chemists and health food stores to scope out value for money, any suggestions?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    The only ones I've tried were from a chemist - I think they were Ladybird brand, though that was a while ago.
    I wouldn't really recommend these - the taste was OK but the texture was wierd and the ingredient list was full of unrecognisable and unpronouceable things, so I've gone back to eating actual food.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have just started doing post workout shakes - I am trying them out for the next fortnight to see if they aid in recovery, if they do help I will then find one to use permanently.

I can let you know how I go - have only done it twice so far, the Blackmores shake I had Saturday did not mix very well and was a bit chalky but the taste wasn't too bad, and it had a good amount of protein. The BSc body for women shake I had today tasted like aspartame - gross - do not want - and could have had more protein. I got these both from Woolies - I will look at the brands in health food stores when I want to buy a full tub, as they have more selection there but not the sachets to try out if you are not sure how long you want to use them for.

As for any recovery benefits of post workout shakes - too early to tell. It's a minimum fortnight trial here.
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    At least I've got a not what to get list happening haha
  • stimpackus
    stimpackus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use bars and shakes. The shakes not so much lately though, as I use the bars for snacks, and the shakes for post-workout (not exercising at the moment for med reasons). But I can't wait to get back into it, and hopefully next week.

I started buying this when I was Vegan, but decided to stick with it when I introduced other products again: "pea protein isolate" (also called phyto protein). I can only find it in health food stores, and it is derived from chick peas. It isn't overly sweet, but you can taste the cocoa flavour. I think there are other flavours, but I'm really not sure what they are. If you want to jazz it up a bit, you can try adding some fruit or different types of milks with it (dairy, nut milks or even water if you want it to be simple). The only downfall is that it can remain "clumpy" if used with a conventional spoon or shaker to mix. I got rid of that problem by only doing it in a blender.

I did also try Fernwood's "poppa" type ones from the fridge section as well; plus "Protein FX" premixed ones. I can't remember how much the FX ones cost as I bought them individually and on a rare occasion, but the Fernwood ones used to cost around $18-$20 for a six pack, and then on top I would get one for free (someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. I haven't had one in over a year). I don't mind the taste of either of these, or the pea isolate.

ETA: The container of the Phyto Protein costs around $35 for a 500 gram container. I bought it after talking to the Sales Person, and they told me that it had an extremely high "digestibility" rating, which is easier on the stomach and exactly what I was after.
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    Thanks, I bought Body Science (BSc) protein shaping drink for women, got them cheap off a website, aminoz.com.au.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I use the protein shake from Amway. I get it discounted because my sister does amway and I use her IBO it cots me about $45, otherwise it would be $60.
    You can use it with milk (it adds more calories), or water. I like it with water.

It's filled with lots of goodies too.
  • phoaos169
    phoaos169 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    as far as recovery goes u should look for bcaa(branch chain amino acids) will help perair the muscles protien is transformed into bcaa by the body to feed the muscles protien will also keep u fuller for longer and after a workout is the best time to have a protien shake your body will break it down quicker and wont store it as fat so all the energy in it will be used by the body. so i try looking for a protien with added bcaa
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm with Stimpackus - I use the Phyto pea protein and love it. Whey powder gave me belly "issues", but this one does not. It apparently has a really high bio-availability (82% or somesuch), and it only has three ingredients (all natural). I make a breakfast smoothie out of it, with almond milk, frozen berries and some nut & seed muesli I put together. It's so yum!

I usually buy mine from Discount Vitamin Warehouse for about $32, but I found it online quite a bit cheaper and plan to get it that way next time.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to read when I'm not half asleep :p
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I occasionally drink the Aussie Bodies protein shakes that you can get from Coles or Woolworths. My favourite flavour is coffee or dutch chocolate. In only drink them 3 times a week when i do my weight training.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I too am a fan of the pea protein and I put it in a blender with some fresh fruit and ice and some fresh ginger & mint and I feel that it definitely helps with muscle soreness for me. Its also great for me as I don't do dairy - milk is designed to help a baby cow reach up to 200kg in just over a year I so do not want that!!
  • majestic1976
    Options
    MUSASHI P Low Carb Protein Powder.Low fat, low carbohydrate. Tastes really good.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Was thinking about trying the Musashi, will have to give it a go now you mention it.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you ended up trying this, but I also use Musashi (92 blend vanilla blast). Not a bad flavour and works really well in smoothies! It has a mix of whey proteins (fast and slow uptake) and BCAAs.

It's worth a try. If you want to try the taste, you can get the premix version from the supermarket and it tastes the same as the powder, a good try before you buy option :). I'm always hesitant to buy new flavours, I dont want 2kgs of the stuff sitting in my pantry if I hate the taste! :P
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    I occasionally drink the Aussie Bodies protein shakes that you can get from Coles or Woolworths. My favourite flavour is coffee or dutch chocolate. In only drink them 3 times a week when i do my weight training.

You sometimes get these through Grocery Run for $2 each.
  • nettie1969
    Options
    For me it depends on my mood ... lol

At the moment I am loving the Atkins Advantage chocolate shake (already made up is usually on special for around $2.50 each in Woolworths) as I like the grab and go

I also have pea-protein isolate (from discount warehouse) but it tastes disgusting unless you add something (I add weight watchers chocolate powder to mine).

The Natures way 'slim right' is pretty good tho.

Biggest thing I have found is to try to avoid (or really limit) the ones with whey protein - they really upset my tummy and caused acid reflux. Spoke to my doctor and he said about 90% of the population has trouble digesting this but just don't realise it and when you add a lot (eg 1 or 2 shakes a day like in a meal replacement program) they find out the hard way.

I love most of the celebrity slim ones - but these are more meal replacement and contain whey protein so I really have to limit them.

As said before ... you are better of buying the premade ones to try them first to see how you react and the taste otherwise you do end up with a heap of stuff in the cupboard that you never use.
  • springcheeks
    Options
    I really like the Sculpt shakes. You can buy them prima type drinks to try them out, but I buy the tubs. The only flavor I dont like from their range in the berry one. Banana is super yum, and I often buy the vanilla to make smoothies with.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm a runner, but I go to Body Building shops for my protein.

http://www.bodyworkshop.com.au/p/4918308/Body-Ripped-Hydroxy-Ripp-Pro---kg.html?utm_source=myshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Vitamins+and+Nutrition&utm_term=Body+Ripped+Hydroxy+Ripp+Pro+1kg

I only take it if I know for sure I won't get enough protein with natural food. I'd rather get my protein my meats, eggs and dairy.
    It's apparently a high quality protein a lot of body builders swear by - I don't really know any better so I just take their word for it since they use it too. I've bought 3 of these over 12months.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I had some Cyto...something Muscle Milk today and it was really grainy, is this typical of all the powders?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    www.bulknutrients.com.au for my protein needs. Good & cheap.