Injury causing the blues?

Options
MrsSpratt
MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
Is anyone else fighting off the blues because of their injuries/ lack of mobility? I can't seem to get it together today. I want to be more active but hurts and then I get grumpy. And then I eat, which just makes it all worse.

What do the rest of you do to keep positive?

Replies

• rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    to stay positive i think of where i was when i was injured and where i am now ......;.. look how far you have come and remeber you dont want to go back to where you were :) hope this helps ........ YOU GOT THIS
  • crisscrossin
    Options
    My situation is unique, but I've switched from gym to swimming. My hip does pretty well with swimming so I can continue to exercise some. It's still discouraging to me because it's not as comprehensive a workout, but it is better than nothing! Any alternative things you could do in the meantime?
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My situation is unique, but I've switched from gym to swimming. My hip does pretty well with swimming so I can continue to exercise some. It's still discouraging to me because it's not as comprehensive a workout, but it is better than nothing! Any alternative things you could do in the meantime?

I LOVE SWIMMING!!!!! great full body workout
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place, major blues due to pain. I know that exercising it will help, but when it hurts to walk from the living room to the kitchen, how do you even think about exercising??
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes, mobility got me down heaps. I had to quit my studies/job and basically every activity I liked. It took me over a year to stop thinking 'yay, it's saturday, i can go run up the hill!' I was (well, I technically still am) so immobile that all I could do was walk slowly no more than 2km, or wave my arms around. I coped by finding things that i liked that gave a lot of the same sensations of being active, but didn't require activity. For example, I would still go swimming, but... kinda just float. XD Instead of a run, I would go for a scenic drive, or organise a picnic somewhere beautiful. However, there was nothing that i could do to get my heart pumping. The nearest I got was wii boxing.

What things do you miss the most? What is getting you down? Sometimes really thinking about the specifics can help you to brainstorm alternatives. Is your injury permanent?
  • daizylibra
    Options
    I miss being able to go for a run in the park behind my house. I miss mountain biking with my husband. I miss going to spin class at my gym. I miss going to the gym period. Being active was really enjoyable, and was my stress outlet. I've been going to physical therapy 3X a week for 2 1/2 months. So time consuming. I dread going, but once I get there I enjoy it - it's about all the exercise I get these days. I have come a long way, but it's still frustrating.

I also struggle with emotional compulsive eating. I have my ups and downs.

A few years back, I lost 84 pounds. My worst nightmare is gaining that weight back. It's always in the back of my head.

I'm looking forward to the day that I can enjoy a hike in the woods.