HRMs

Options
What HRM do you use? What are the features? Pros and Cons? What HRM is on your wishlist?

I wanted the Garmin 310 XT for Christmas but it's $400 with the HRM and with 2 vacations in January, that's a lot. I really want one that shows pace, distance, and HR. Calories burned aren't quite as important (i.e., I wouldn't pay extra for a model if the difference was that it showed calories burned). I'd like to keep it closer to $300. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got 2 options. The first is a HRM with gps, like the Garmin. Those are going to be pretty expensive, but you might be able to find one used for less, if you were willing to go that route.

The other option is to go with a Suunto HRM that supports their pods. You can get a foot pod to track your running and a bike pod to track your rides, but at this point they don't have anything for swim distances. You'd have to price things out to see what pods/HRM you wanted as to what the hold deal would cost, but my guess is that it would be within your price range. At one point Suunto offered a triathlete pack that included all of this, but I think it came with a higher end HRM and maybe some other stuff too which made it really expensive (like $500, IIRC).

I have a Suunto M5 that I'm really happy with. I have the bike pod which works with the HRM to track speed and distance. I don't have a foot pod yet, though it's something I was thinking about until I broke down and started using the runkeeper app on my phone. Suunto does make a GPS pod, but from what I've read it loses signal rather easily and doesn't track elevation changes (which is a big negative, IMO, for a GPS device).

I've been wanting a Suunto memory belt (all the standard functions of a HRM, but it doesn't need the watch), but it's a little pricey considering I've already got a watch that works well. The memory belt would basically be for swimming and races where I don't wear the watch.
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 310xt and simply love it.

As an HRM it does far more than you need and is oversized and overpriced. However, as an overall training tool it can't be beat (except by the new Garmin 900 series that is coming out this Christmas).

I use mine while training for speed/pace, distance, time and HR.

After training I use it to review for all the information about my training session and to get a feel for how I was performing.

The data has been very useful in helping me see how I'm doing in a data format that lets me plan out future work.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/127668859

That's a link to a run from last week that's pretty normal.

I can see the (rather wimpy) hills I did at the end, the speed pickups I did in the middle. My HR changes with speed and elevation gain. My overall pace/speed information, etc...

S
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I actually got the garmin forerunner 450CX as a present but I know it was selling for like 200 bucks at costco. It's awesome--all the bells and whistles: time, distance, pace, the works. Totally shop around--there is bound to be something in your price range.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I got a virtually brand new Garmin 305 from Ebay in February fro £95. I prefer using GPS as I like to compare runs over the same similar route months apart and because I try to run lots of different routes, I find it interesting to look at where I've been especially if I've gone past something of interest
  • bbarr66
    bbarr66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 310 and love it. I like it over other Garmin units because of battery life (~20hrs). Some of the other models like the 410 only last ~7hrs. I do bigger events and need the extra time.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    With the 910XT just being released the 310 is going to drop in price. REI now has it for 289 on sale I believe.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Unless you need super long battery life, and you can live with the size on your wrist, it's hard to see past the 305 for a great value option that is tried and tested.
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Unless you need super long battery life, and you can live with the size on your wrist, it's hard to see past the 305 for a great value option that is tried and tested.

Yep the 305 is great. I have mine for 2 years now, complete with a foot pod and the cadence thing for the bike and I love it. Very important is the tracking software you're going to use. I've ended up with sport tracks, probably the best application there is.

Dont forget to check out the dcrainmaker blog, he's got extensive reviews on practically everything, a great source of tri related info. A must.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I have two Garmins - the good ol' 305 and an FR60.

For the most part, they make great complements. I synced them up to each other, so they work together, vs/ individually. They both feed into the same data program, both are synced up to the same HR strap, and the same bike sensor. So, I can use either device for any workout, and still get one basic set of data. Bike, run, cadence, HR, you name it, I get it all. This is SO handy dandy.

Differences:
    FR60 isn't gps. So I don't get all those cool workout maps. Not a big deal if I'm on the trainer or treadmill.
    FR60 doesn't work on a recharge - it works more like a regular watch. So, I don't have to worry if I'm going REALLLLLYYYYYYYYY long. (Like that ever happens... Okay it happened once, but only once.)

I'm pretty darned happy with this setup. I do wish the 305 was more accurate with its altimeter - I like to know exactly how much I climbed, and the 305's altimeter is miserably inaccurate. Past that what's not to love.

Hey, isn't Garmin coming out with a new HRM that lets you collect swim data too? A friend was raving about this to me.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    ^^ Its the 910XT. Automatically picks up swim strokes, laps. It does everything the 310XT does but adds more waterproofing and the swim functions. Specifically designed with the multi-sport athlete in mind.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    ^^ Its the 910XT. Automatically picks up swim strokes, laps. It does everything the 310XT does but adds more waterproofing and the swim functions. Specifically designed with the multi-sport athlete in mind.
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

That's my Xmas 2012 pressie list sorted :bigsmile:
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Check out the online Black Friday deals!
    I got the Garmin 405 a couple years ago. Online, REI.com on Black Friday, the HRM was additional but with the sale on the Garmin itself, the HRM was pretty much a freebie.