Anyone else feel disgusting?

Options
melanie_J
melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
Don't get me wrong, I love doing this. I never was a runner, even when I was younger. However, I cringe when I think of people watching me. I've usually got sweat flying. My nose is running like a faucet most of the time. And I know I sound like a crazy woman in labor with my breathing. Am I alone in this?

Replies

• mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same! it's so not attractive, some people move as far away from me as possible on the running path.

Oh well. At least we are doing it.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I love doing this. I never was a runner, even when I was younger. However, I cringe when I think of people watching me. I've usually got sweat flying. My nose is running like a faucet most of the time. And I know I sound like a crazy woman in labor with my breathing. Am I alone in this?

As soon as I read your post it got me thinking of an online article I saw a few weeks ago. A photographer was out at a park where there were a lot of joggers and asked them to participate in this photo shoot project she was doing of "before and after" photos of people after they had been running/sprinting.
    Running isn't pretty... even for pretty people. I found it sorta interesting

http://planetoddity.com/people-before-and-after-exercises/
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My mom almost wanted to call the hospital after she saw me finish a day of week 4 when she was visiting. She thought I was going to have a heart attack and die. I get BEET red in the face, really gross and sweaty, and yeah... my nose runs, too (if I'm running outside, it's not so bad when I'm inside). You're not alone! :laugh:

Don't worry about what other people think, though. Even if you think you look gross, it doesn't matter - because getting fit is just plain sexy. Also, if you're running outside, no one will see you for more than a few seconds, and if you're running inside, you're probably at a gym, where everyone looks equally disheveled (or, well, they ought to)! :wink:
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I run in front of my house, it's the busiest park smack bang in the middle of the city, it gets embarassing sometimes especially when school's just out and i get ridiculed by an army of teenagers.
  • melanie_J
    Options
    I run in front of my house, it's the busiest park smack bang in the middle of the city, it gets embarassing sometimes especially when school's just out and i get ridiculed by an army of teenagers.

The wrath of children! Lol, they do say they can be cruel. I'm just glad I'm not alone in this lol
  • melanie_J
    Options
    My mom almost wanted to call the hospital after she saw me finish a day of week 4 when she was visiting. She thought I was going to have a heart attack and die. I get BEET red in the face, really gross and sweaty

Hah, this sounds like my mom :)
  • melanie_J
    Options

As soon as I read your post it got me thinking of an online article I saw a few weeks ago. A photographer was out at a park where there were a lot of joggers and asked them to participate in this photo shoot project she was doing of "before and after" photos of people after they had been running/sprinting.
    Running isn't pretty... even for pretty people. I found it sorta interesting

http://planetoddity.com/people-before-and-after-exercises/

Wow, those are amazing pictures. :) Some of them even look homeless or high after running! That makes me feel better!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    This why I run at 6 am when it is still pitch dark out. seriously, I am afraid to run in the daylight. Maybe I am a VAMPIRE marathoner? :laugh:
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    This why I run at 6 am when it is still pitch dark out. seriously, I am afraid to run in the daylight. Maybe I am a VAMPIRE marathoner? :laugh:
    I usually run in the evening, around 7-8pm and this time of year its dark by 5:30pm so no one sees me. I do carry a lit flashlight and I take my dog with me and she has a retro-reflective collar and leash.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I got over it after a while. People are really friendly here in MN so I always get smiles, nods, and sometimes waves when I'm running. It's sometimes a hit to my ego when somebody passes me (I'm very slow...) but I get over that, too.

Worry about the people who DON'T look like heck when they're working out. You know the ones--putting in an hour on the track or at the gym and barely breaking a sweat. That is a problem. So revel in your pink cheeks, messy ponytail, and dripping sweat. It means you're working hard, and that deserves respect.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I have to say I have no pride at all, I'll run anywhere at any time. I know I don't look good, and I honestly don't care. What I tell myself to counter it is that I looked a lot worse before I started the whole weight loss thing, and I'm not going to ever look any better if I stop now. I may be a little weird though, as when I got heckled by some lads on their way home from school I thought it was funny, they were quite original :-)
  • jennrichhartle
    Options
    After reading all of these posts, I feel so much better. I can't even think about exercise without pouring sweat, and I am sure that people around me at the gym think that I am dying.

I decided to do this not only because I wanted to lose weight, but I wanted to challenge myself. I had smoked for 15 years previously (quit 2 years ago), and just the idea that I can run even for 30 seconds is something I had never entertained before. It may not look or sound pretty, but it's getting the job done.

I never knew what I could do until I tried it.
  • PauliesGettingFit
    Options
    i run at night. i think that answers your question lol..

theres to much jiggle to make it a day time event yet.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Nope not alone, but forget what other people think. You are doing this for you!!! Focus on the music you are listening too instead and forget the world around you!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird. One of the things I LOVE about going for a run is coming home with my shirt soaked through, sweat dripping off the end of my nose, and my hair looking like I just got out of the shower. It makes me feel like I really worked at it.

I see a lot of people (women mostly, go figure) at the gym who get off a bike or treadmill looking like they just arrived, without a drop of sweat anywhere. I always look at them and think they're not trying. Now, a lady who's got a good sweat worked up? Rowr.

I mean that in a totally non-creeper way.