Recent Graduates...Now What?

Options
aimsterct
aimsterct Posts: 37 Member
So I graduated from the program last Monday. I ran my first 5K on Friday....slowly. Very slowly. I was in terrible shape to start, so I am a slow runner. We're talking 43 minutes to finish the 5K here.

I am honestly very proud that I'm doing this, but also highly discouraged that I'm not faster.

I don't think I'm ready for Bridge to 10K yet because I have to build up speed. The runs get easier and faster all of the time, but has anyone else experienced this? How does one work on speed? I was thinking of going back through the program and trying to run faster during the run sections and jog more slowly during the walk sections.

Anyone else have any tips for improving speed?

Replies

• aimsterct
    Options
    Wow, no responses.

I took a cue from the other poster here and decided to go back through the program and use the walk times to do a steady jog and then the run times to kick up the speed. I wasn't sure where to start...Week 1 seemed too far back so I started with Week 2 times this morning on the treadmill (a: because it is rainy here today but more importantly b: because I wanted to really be aware of the speeds).

It's amazing how far you can come in a few weeks ago. When I did this the first time I felt so tired and depleted at the end and I was walking 3.4 mph and "running" at 4.0 mph. Today I walked the jogs at 3.9/4.2 and ran the runs at 4.8-5.3. I know this is by no means fast, but this is where I am at. Hoping in another 9 weeks I'll be just as amazed at my progress as I was in the first nine.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have a similar dilemma at the moment. I downloaded the couch to 10K app and tried out the first week. It was too easy really, I guess it is designed for runners who want to start from the beginning and work up to 10K.I have no idea how the bridge to 10K compares though. I looked at week 10 of couch to 10K and it is run 40 mins, walk 10 and the run 20 mins.
    I decided to try running 3 x 5K a week to try and up my time. I have only done three runs . My latest was today at 37.55. My plan is to try and get my 5K run time down and then go back to the couch to 10K , probably at week 10 or 11. Sorry , no tips for improving speed. But your post interest me. It's funny how some posts get loads of answers and others get none, isn't it?
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Many people say that when you work on the longer distances your shorter distances pick up pace. I haven't gotten to that point myself however. I'm positive at the end of the cycle, that I still won't be at a 5k in the time allotted.

Once I finish this c25k, I'm going to the gw28k
    http://www.runsource.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=376

WEEK 1
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    7 minute run
    1 minute walk
    Repeat steps 2-3 for a total of four "sets"
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 2
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    8 minute run
    1 minute walk
    Repeat Steps 2-3 for a total of four "sets"
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 3
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    9 minute run
    1 minute walk
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 4
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    10 minute run
    1 minute walk
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 5
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    11 minute run
    1 (or 3) minute walk (whatever you're comfortable with)
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 6
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    12 minute run
    1 minute walk
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 7
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    15 minute run
    1 minute walk
    Repeat Steps 2-3 for a total of three "sets"
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 8
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    20 minute run
    1 (or 3) minute walk (whatever you're comfortable with)
    Repeat Steps 2-3 for a total of two "sets"
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 9
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    25 minute run
    1 minute walk
    Repeat Steps 2-3 for a total of two "sets"
    5 minute Cool Down Walk

Week 10
    5 minute Warm Up Walk
    50 minute jog
    5 minute Cool Down Walk
  • aimsterct
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the Gateway to 8K....hadn't heard of that one. Looks like it might be a nice in between the two programs. I'll check it out!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I did a (free, at the time) Active.com beginner's 10k plan after C25K, finishing it in early July with a 10k scheduled in late July. But that 10k was postponed to August due to the race director having a medical emergency, then postponed to October when Hurricane Irene decided to visit when the race was supposed to happen. So in the months between my program and the race, I just ran what I felt, when I felt, anywhere between 3 and 7 miles. For most of the 6-7 mile days, I did use walk breaks, but when it came time to do the race, I was able to do the whole distance no problemo. :smile:
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Once I started Bridge to 10K, I noticed I was getting faster, try what you feel is best.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    So I graduated from the program last Monday. I ran my first 5K on Friday....slowly. Very slowly. I was in terrible shape to start, so I am a slow runner. We're talking 43 minutes to finish the 5K here.

I am honestly very proud that I'm doing this, but also highly discouraged that I'm not faster.

I don't think I'm ready for Bridge to 10K yet because I have to build up speed. The runs get easier and faster all of the time, but has anyone else experienced this? How does one work on speed? I was thinking of going back through the program and trying to run faster during the run sections and jog more slowly during the walk sections.

Don't be discouraged. When I did c25k the first time, I started it weighing 227 lbs (5'6") and not having run since high school PE about 17 years ago. For me, 3 mph was a brisk walk and 4+ mph was a run. So when I finished, it took me about 45 minutes to do 5k. I decided I wanted to try to get faster, so I did it again and did 4 mph as my walk and 5 mph as my run. I finished round 2 last Monday, also ran my first 5k on Friday and finished it in 34:14 (even though I walked with my daughter for a couple minutes). I'm considering a 3rd round and trying it at 4.5 and 6.
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    But your post interest me. It's funny how some posts get loads of answers and others get none, isn't it?

Yeah, it can be kind of a bummer. I was so excited about how well I did at my 5k that I posted it on the Success Stories board. I wanted to share my NSV and my reasons for doing it. It got one response. From a friend.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post about the 5K, Sabrina! And I was actually waiting to see it and looking forward to it! As for this topic, I have restarted C25K too because my running was really slow. I also hadn't run in a million years, back in college, and I was pretty bad at it even then. I did my first round of C25K walking at 3.0/running at 4.3. Now I'm doing another round walking at 3.5/running at 5.0. That's still slow for most people, I suppose, but it's a challenge for me right now. It may take more than 9 weeks to finish, but I'm not strict, I don't care. After I'm done with this round, who knows? Maybe B210K or another round of C25K and faster. :)
  • SabrinaJL
    Options
    I'm sorry I didn't see your post about the 5K, Sabrina! And I was actually waiting to see it and looking forward to it!

Don't be sorry. Most of my pals have large friend lists so I didn't expect them all to see it. I did kinda figure that with all the people on this site, it would at least get a few replies. Hell, even the "what's NSV" posts get a few. :laugh: I just thought some virtual high fives from people who are going through the same thing would have been nice. No big though. I have two hands and can high five myself. :bigsmile:

Here's the link if you still wanna read it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/393306-veteran-s-day-5k-nsv
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Hi aimsterct,
    I didn’t join this group at first because I didn’t see a thread like this. I just realize there are a lot of pages and saw this thread which is what I need. I am slow too, even slower than you. I read that marathon runners do interval run/walks to get faster so that is what I am trying now. I run for 2 minutes and walk for 1. I do this around a lake that is almost 5K (2.8 miles). It depends on the speed you are trying to reach what intervals to work on. Anyway I just know that it is a really good work out for me. I do this one day a week and try to do a 30 minute run once a week.
    Clarissa
    Thanks for copying that program it looks good too. Maybe I could do it one day a week.
    I have friends from my C25K support group that are redoing it by jogging and running too.
    I have heard so much about how interval training is great especially for burning fat so I am going to continue with it at least the one day a week.
    I would love to hear about all of your progress on continuing to run and imporve after completing C25K.
    Keri
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm ready for Bridge to 10K yet because I have to build up speed.

Hi, I've just joined this group...I graduated in September from C25K. I'm doing the last week of Bridge to 10K now and I think that is helpful in building stamina which in turn helps you not to flag when running 5K and also helps you to keep a faster pace when dealing with hills.

I do a 5K parkrun every Saturday now and did the first one in October in 30:08 (it is multi-terrain with some hills). Best time so far is 27:56 last week and I really feel the difference the longer runs are making.
  • Edithrenee
    Edithrenee Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    But your post interest me. It's funny how some posts get loads of answers and others get none, isn't it?

Yeah, it can be kind of a bummer. I was so excited about how well I did at my 5k that I posted it on the Success Stories board. I wanted to share my NSV and my reasons for doing it. It got one response. From a friend.
    Ha Ha i hardly get any responses, I actualy got two on one i posted on here. But I post on the main page it is like im non existing hmm lol
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also wondering what to do. I technically didn't "graduate" yet...I start week 9 tomorrow, but I ran my first 5k last Thursday. I'm going to finish the last week and then figure out what's next.

I'm afraid of letting go of the structure of C25k. I say I'm going to keep running 3x per week, but there's no program or accountability now. At the same time, I feel like I might need a little break before starting a new program. Like, maybe I'll just try and run for 30 minutes a few times a week and see if I can get faster? Still not sure yet.

My goals are ambiguous. I'd love to run a faster 5k (my time was around 37 minutes) AND run a 10k. I guess I should focus on one of those things...
  • KeriA
    Options
    Today I was really proud of myself. I have been struggling to keep my exercise schedule facing My Mom's health issues and move to a retirement community. I have been able to do my Tuesday run but today I had to oversee the move for her starting at 8:30. I decided I wasn't going to give it up so I got up took my daughter to her bus stop and went for an early run/wa;l imtervals. It was so beautiful. I love running. I am hoping I can get back in schedule now.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My goals are ambiguous. I'd love to run a faster 5k (my time was around 37 minutes) AND run a 10k. I guess I should focus on one of those things...

Me too. I've completed Bridge to 10K and signed up for a 10K next February. However, the weather and dark days mean I don't fancy running outside except on weekends, and cranking out 6 miles on a treadmill is no fun. I do a parkrun 5K every Saturday morning and what I've just started is redoing C25K but as jog-run instead of walk-run (LorinaLynn's idea). My current 5K PB is 27:56 but I have 2 speeds - going-up-a-hill speed and normal speed, I don't have a sprint at all and having been passed on the line TWICE I thought some sort-of speedwork that I can do on the treadmill might help. I'll do 10K and up as a long run on Sundays.
  • KeriA
    Options
    When I originally graduated late summer early fall I determined to have a day where I did interval walk runs and a day to run for increasing times starting with where I left off with C25K (30 minutes). I was able to do the one day but have had difficulty with the second. Today I needed to sleep in a little and missed my Zumba class yet again so I finally did my second run this week. I was gald to find out that I hadn't really lost ground with my time but haven't improved either. I run around a loke that is 2.8 miles so my goal is to eventually run all the way around one way or the other either by increasing my speed or distance or a little of both. So I have made another step in that direction. How are all the rest of you doing with your post C25K efforts?
    Keri
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Don't be discouraged! I ran my first in just about 43minutes also. I just kept running 5K 3 times a week. I then used the same method and would run 1.5K at a faster pace, walk for 30 seconds, repeat.
    Then I went for 2.5k 1 minute walk, finish.
    I now can do a 5K in 37 minutes. I'm going to keep doing this style of interval training until I have a 10 minute mile. (30minute 5K.
  • aimsterct
    Options
    Well after floundering around for a while, I decided to alternate between redoing the C25K with jog/run instead of walk/runs, and starting the B210K program. I also downloaded RunKeeper, which is helping me a great deal in keeping track of runs I don't do in either structure....I love how it tracks my pacing and calls out to me at each 5 min interval with how far I've gone.

Anyway, I ran my second 5K today and was shocked to find my time at the end was 38:10! I shaved five minutes off of my time in the past month! So I guess whatever I'm doing is working to increase speed. I guess the most important thing is to just keep on running and the speed will come over time.

:)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I wish there were some kind of notification system when something new is posted in your groups. At any rate, I "graduated" from C25K the first time earlier this year & ran my first 5k in April at right around 250 lbs in about 39 min (12mm). After that I took a break from scheduled running but still did it once or twice a week or so for however long I felt like going. In July I decided to run at least 3x a week then in Aug a girlfriend convinced me I could do a 10k on 10/1 with her, so I started training for that by doing 2 short runs during the week & a distance run on the weekend to build up my endurance.

Long story short, I did run the 10k straight through without walking in about 1:21 (13mm). After that, I knew I wanted to work on my speed without losing ground on my endurance, so at the recommendation of an experienced runner on this site I structured my weekly running schedule like this:

Tuesday: speedwork. Followed C25K & ran at an easy pace for the walking portions then increased the speed to 5.5-6 mph for the jogging parts.
    Thursday: tempo run. Mile 1 at easy pace, gradually increase speed over Mile 2 up to about 5 mph, gradually decrease over Mile 3 back to easy pace, finish last mile @ easy pace.
    Saturday or Sunday: distance run at whatever pace. Increased the distance by 10% each week to a max of 12 miles (I made it up to 7.3 two weeks before my next 10k race) then decrease by 30% the last week before the race.

Unfortunately I caught a nasty cold a couple of weeks before my race so I didn't quite stick with the training schedule during that time. I still ran it & finished, though I didn't match my time from the first race.

I decided that next time I run any race I don't want to be that damn slow so I started C25K over from scratch with a goal of 10mm (6 mph). At first I tried jogging the walking parts slowly then increasing the speed to 6 mph for the running parts, but by Week 2 it was too hard to maintain the running pace. I started over again actually walking the walking parts & just started Week 2 this week. This time it seems much more manageable because I'm recovering completely during the walking parts.

Since a particular pace is my goal, if I get to a day where I can't maintain the 6 mph pace for all of the intervals, I'll just repeat the day until I can.