religion, reincarnation, deja vu, etc.

Options
SkateboardFi
SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
*note* (i started a similar thread in the debate club group dealing with religious views and thought i'd start something similar here since there are a different variety of folks in this group to chime in)

what is your religious background and current affiliation (if any)?

do you believe in reincarnation and karma in future lives? (if so, how does this tie into your aforementioned beliefs?)

deja vu: have you experienced it? have stories? how do you explain it? (and again, how does THIS tie into your beliefs?)

i will answer a bit later

Replies

• Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty confused about my religious views. I guess I think I should believe in God. Sometimes I want to and other times I'm just not sure. There are even times when I have been sure that it's a fairy tale. I did not have a religious upbringing. Went to church a few times as a kid.

I'm confused by the different religions...Christian and non. Seems like there are more religions that aren't Christian based.

I'm afraid that if there really is a God and a judgement day...He/She will be angry at all of us. And will ask us "What were you fighting over? You were all my children!"

Reincarnation seems like fantasy. But how would I know. Deja vu...I think we've all had feelings like that.

Edited to say: Sorry, I know that's not much help>
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    lol it's all good.

i describe myself as spriritual, not really religious or a fan or organized religion of any form just from my experiences. i don't have the heart to say that someone is going to hell because they worshipped the wrong god, or worshipped in the wrong way...i was raised apostolic, my church is deeply rooted in the 'holy ghost' and having caught said holy ghost during a church service before, questioning whether or not god exists is kind of out of the window for me due to some of my personal experiences. however, i don't believe going to church is going to counteract not being a good person, nor do i believe a religion should define my actions or how i feel i should conduct myself as a person. i don't knock anyone who practices religion, but i've experienced that most religious folk i've come across have been the most hypocritical, judgmental people i've met. i don't blanket this one everyone though. i personally do pray, fast and read various religious doctrines including the bible (looking for a bible that isn't missing books however), the qu'ran and teachings of taoism and i'm also interested in looking up hindu and buddhism. i've been told by christians that i was wrong to read other religious books but i feel like truth in itself is relative and that the more points of view that you obtain, the more knowledgeable you are. i don't tell anyone that their religion or spirituality or lack thereof is wrong because it's not my place. everyone has their own journey and come to the conclusions on what's best for them.

as far as reincarnation, i have this wierd theory that i'm sure is going to cause some folks to label me a 'wack-job' but here goes lol. i kind of believe in it. that the actions of this life determines our afterlife and that said afterlife might be another being/set of circumstances based on our conduct in this life. i believe that deja-vu could be 're-runs' from our past lives because essentially we as a person do not change, just our lives, and that sometimes our actions can repeat themselves if that makes sense.

then again, deja-vu and the aforementioned could easily be lumped into the pile of things we as humans will never understand. aside from my spirituality and how i choose to express it, my views on reincarnation and deja-vu are just theories and i don't really bring them up aside from simply tossing ideas out on the table.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    No No and No to questions.
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    No No and No to questions.

concise.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    *note* (i started a similar thread in the debate club group dealing with religious views and thought i'd start something similar here since there are a different variety of folks in this group to chime in)

what is your religious background and current affiliation (if any)?

do you believe in reincarnation and karma in future lives? (if so, how does this tie into your aforementioned beliefs?)

deja vu: have you experienced it? have stories? how do you explain it? (and again, how does THIS tie into your beliefs?)

i will answer a bit later

1. I grew up Lutheran with a die-hard southern baptist family. I am now an agnostic (not to be confused with an atheist).
    2. No reincarnation or any of that stuff. We live once.
    3. No deja vu here.

I find that living without religion is incredibly liberating. No longer do I feel like life is just one big test.
  • SkateboardFi
    Options

I find that living without religion is incredibly liberating. No longer do I feel like life is just one big test.

this reminded me of something i heard a teacher say once. she was like 'i'm religious because i'm afraid if i'm not religious and it turns out there IS a god and i was wrong, that i would go to hell'..like i said, i have noooo qualms with religious folk and my family for the most part is very religious, but i can't imagine being sincere with a belief system if the only reason i'm engaged is out of fear..
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Options
    Agnostic---I think this could be a good way to describe me. I remember as a kid (about 8) being told by classmates I was going to hell because I didn't attend the church they went to. I know kids can be cruel but what were their parents teaching them? As far as the different Christian based church services I've attended.....Each denomination claims to be right and all other wrong. I see the most important parts as being the same.

I try to be a good person. I try to remember that it's not my place to judge others and that my life experience may not equip me to understand all view points.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I'm an outspoken atheist. I really do love it. It's led me to embrace reality and science and accept that I have one life and I should enjoy it to it's fullest, without doing harm to others.

Reality is just more interesting to me than desert fables from people with a poor understanding of the world they lived in. What we've learned since is SO much better!

Did you know that we are literally made from stars? That's a fact. How amazing is that?! Evolution teaches us not only are we all one people, but that all life is connected. Science saves our lives and brings us together. Religion divides us and encourages atrocities upon our fellow man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M&amp;feature=related <--- Carl Sagan. Pale Blue Dot. Beats any preacher.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Brett, I don't know if you ever check out TED videos, but I saw a great one recently on recent research of
    Distinguishing between what is life and what isn't. Researchers are trying to create poly cells out of essentially lifeless matter
    Check it out:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/martin_hanczyc_the_line_between_life_and_not_life.html

SkateboardFi, deja vu is explained by neurologists quite elegantly. There is no out of body experience or any of
    That voodoo science going on. Basically your brain elapses and it takes a second to process a series of images you've already seen. I don't have time to look up the research ill leave that to u. But if you wanna believe its a godly experience you go ahead ;)
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    Brett, I don't know if you ever check out TED videos, but I saw a great one recently on recent research of
    Distinguishing between what is life and what isn't. Researchers are trying to create poly cells out of essentially lifeless matter
    Check it out:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/martin_hanczyc_the_line_between_life_and_not_life.html

SkateboardFi, deja vu is explained by neurologists quite elegantly. There is no out of body experience or any of
    That voodoo science going on. Basically your brain elapses and it takes a second to process a series of images you've already seen. I don't have time to look up the research ill leave that to u. But if you wanna believe its a godly experience you go ahead ;)

okay so what part of
    my views on reincarnation and deja-vu are just theories and i don't really bring them up aside from simply tossing ideas out on the table.

didn't you compute? and where did i say it was a godly experience?
  • SkateboardFi
    Options

Did you know that we are literally made from stars? That's a fact. How amazing is that?! Evolution teaches us not only are we all one people, but that all life is connected.

yes i know that, and i think it's pretty awesome also :smile:
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    lj I do enjoy watching TED talks on a regular basis. That stuff is amazing!

Actually I recently heard a scientific and rather interesting theory (with a small t) on "reincarnation". (Sorry for being all science-dork all the time by the way, shoot I'm barely even literate) But we think our universe may be infinite. Really think about that for a minute. Our brains can't really process concepts like that.

But if space and time are truly infinite it means every possible series of events will happen, again and again. There's no end. Conceivably your own cells could travel around through the end of the known universe and into the start of a new one. And since you're not conscious you would not even experience the trillions of years something like that would take. You could be you all over again. Or something entirely different. In a radically different universe. No memory of your past or that you ever existed before.

It's pretty far out there. But I like that sort of thing.
  • SkateboardFi
    Options
    lj I do enjoy watching TED talks on a regular basis. That stuff is amazing!

Actually I recently heard a scientific and rather interesting theory (with a small t) on "reincarnation". (Sorry for being all science-dork all the time by the way, shoot I'm barely even literate) But we think our universe may be infinite. Really think about that for a minute. Our brains can't really process concepts like that.

But if space and time are truly infinite it means every possible series of events will happen, again and again. There's no end. Conceivably your own cells could travel around through the end of the known universe and into the start of a new one. And since you're not conscious you would not even experience the trillions of years something like that would take. You could be you all over again. Or something entirely different. In a radically different universe. No memory of your past or that you ever existed before.

It's pretty far out there. But I like that sort of thing.

what do you think of the show ancient aliens? have you watched it yet? it brought up the theory that perhaps ghosts are entities operating on different frequencies as ours, and also brought up parallel dimensions on a similar theory (of frequency levels)
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    what do you think of the show ancient aliens? have you watched it yet? it brought up the theory that perhaps ghosts are entities operating on different frequencies as ours, and also brought up parallel dimensions on a similar theory (of frequency levels)

OH they suck me in! But the truth is they use some pretty bad science, from what I've read. They sort of overblow and distort things to make you think it isn't possible for man to have done a lot of things he actually did.

For years I had trouble believing that ancient Egyptians built the pyramids. The Great Pyramid is mind blowingly advanced and perfect, millions of tons of stones all laid with such precision... but it's all just conspiracy theory talk.

Now I do believe in the possibility that life on this planet may have originated somewhere else (technically it clearly did). But there's nothing we have to go on that's concrete.

As you say that I'm currently watching a NOVA special on quantum theory. It all just proves that our universe is far stranger and harder to comprehend than we can imagine. So while I'm skeptical of typical beliefs in ghosts and things like that, I recognize just how little we know about the world we live in.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Truth exists. Whether I believe in a god or not, prefer that there be a god or not, or can make incomplete arguments based on incomplete information regarding whether there is a god or not, it has absolutely no bearing on whether there really is a god or not. My beliefs do not create reality, but rather I am bound by reality.

Science and theology are at odds only when people arrogantly refuse to acknowledge possibilities beyond their experience and tradition. Just because something has not been observed (yet) does not mean it doesn't exist. Did dark matter exist before it was theorized or discovered? Of course it did. Isn't the very act of exploration an effort to discover that which hasn't been discovered, demonstrated, or proven yet? Proof is bound by time, and therefore all knowledge is incomplete.

Believers trust their own ignorance. Non-believers trust their own ignorance. Critics glory in their own ignorance.

I think the best we can do is examine the available texts, test their credibility honestly and objectively, and be gracious to those who have drawn different conclusions, even when those conclusions include a passion for sharing their beliefs with us.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Options
    I'm an outspoken atheist. I really do love it. It's led me to embrace reality and science and accept that I have one life and I should enjoy it to it's fullest, without doing harm to others.

Reality is just more interesting to me than desert fables from people with a poor understanding of the world they lived in. What we've learned since is SO much better!

Did you know that we are literally made from stars? That's a fact. How amazing is that?! Evolution teaches us not only are we all one people, but that all life is connected. Science saves our lives and brings us together. Religion divides us and encourages atrocities upon our fellow man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M&amp;feature=related <--- Carl Sagan. Pale Blue Dot. Beats any preacher.

I like the way you think.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I was agnostic up until my mid-teens...when I realized I was an atheist. Last year, when I was 24, I took a World Religions class, and it just blew my mind. I always knew there were other religions other than Christianity (which I grew up hating for all the wrong reasons) but never bothered to find out too much about them. The first religion we studied in that class was Hinduism, and while I don't subscribe to the beliefs of that religion, I do like what portions of it stand for, and it was really interesting to learn about, and sparked my interest. Next one we learned about was Buddhism, and again, while I would never say "I am a Buddhist," there is SO much of that religion I love...same with Taoism. Of all the religions, those 2 are my "favorite." Even studying things like Judaism and Christianity and Islam...all sparked my interest. I came to find that it wasn't Jesus or Christianity ITSELF that I hated, it was certain types of people claiming to represent them that I didn't agree with or like. Actually learning about Jesus Christ as more than the long-haired guy in the pictures that people worship...made me realize that I actually agree with certain things he said and did and still represent to this day.

Some friends and I in that class described ourselves (at first, jokingly) as "religious mutts," and I sorta changed it up to "ideological mutt." I don't believe in a God or gods...but I think of things in a more spiritual light...more "natural"...I don't know...it's something I've never been able to explain, and I don't think it CAN be adequately explained. It's a deeply personal concept...I don't think that any 2 people can really believe in same thing, or see the same thing exactly the same, anyway. :tongue: so I can't really explain what I think or believe, sorry.

On the topic of religion, though, I really get irritated with extremists on either side--the Christians who think that if you're anything but their denomination, then you're going to Hell, you're a "sinner," you're evil, etc. I'm also not a fan of arrogant atheists who think that they're all high and mighty because they're "too smart" for religion, or that everyone who DOES subscribe to religion is stupid or uneducated. I'm very happy to have friends from all walks of life, of almost every major religion...I learn through diversity, and love it.

I've never really thought too much into reincarnation...I don't believe in it, but I think it's a neat idea.:smile:

I experience deja-vu all the time! It's crazy. Always have, too. And people can say what they want and call me crazy, but I have dreams about things that happen in the future. Nothing big and epic, but sometimes I'll have a dream about someone I haven't seen in a long time (we're talking YEARS), and then the next day I'll see them, or they'll contact me online, etc. and I'm reunited with them. Or I'll have a dream and a conversation takes place about a very specific subject or person, and then that next day, someone brings up that subject or person and the conversation is almost identical. Kinda freaks me out, but it's also kinda cool, haha.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I experience deja-vu all the time! It's crazy. Always have, too. And people can say what they want and call me crazy, but I have dreams about things that happen in the future. Nothing big and epic, but sometimes I'll have a dream about someone I haven't seen in a long time (we're talking YEARS), and then the next day I'll see them, or they'll contact me online, etc. and I'm reunited with them. Or I'll have a dream and a conversation takes place about a very specific subject or person, and then that next day, someone brings up that subject or person and the conversation is almost identical. Kinda freaks me out, but it's also kinda cool, haha.

I get "feelings" quite a bit. When I was in college I was driving around with a guy I was seeing. We ended up driving through a neighborhood I'd never been to. I just had a "flash" or something and I blurted out "Someday I'm going to live here." I didn't even know where we were but I knew the houses were not even remotely within my grasp financially. -- Fast forward about 4 years -- Hubby and I had been married about 7 months and were looking to buy our first house. We were working with a realtor. I found a house in a real estate guide I wanted to see. I saw it in the book and had a "feeling" about it. Realtor said he had a few other houses to show us too. He ended up pulling into that neighborhood I'd been in 4 years earlier and I was stunned. He drove 2 blocks to the house I saw. We went inside and before we even went upstairs both hubby and I knew we wanted that house. We lived there for 5 years. That sort of thing has happened quite often. I "just know" something.

As far as religion, I'm Agnostic with Christian leanings. I was born and raised Catholic. My grandparents were strong Catholics with connections within the church. (One of their good friends is a Cardinal.) I do believe in a God. I don't believe any one religion has it right. I think all religions have some rght and some wrong. I believe in Heaven and Hell but I believe you get there based on your deeds, not who or what you pray to. I believe in a loving God - not an egotistical sadist who will burn His children in Hell because they didn't believe properly. If the God of some sects of Christianity were a real parent He'd be a CPS worker's worst nightmare.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    This life is not a trail run. It's not a cosmic test. This is it. Make the best of it.

The only possible way you will experience life after death is as fossil fuel or compost.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised Roman Catholic, but left the church when I was 18. Currently I'm an solitary ecclectic Pagan.

Yes, I believe in reincarnation! I don't know if I believe in karma, but it does make sense to me that if you are good in this life, your next life should be better. Either way, I plan to be good. (and I know that "good" is relative, but I will be my definition of good, which is basically "don't be a ****")

I don't try to explain deja vu, and I don't think it ties into my religious beliefs.