Did you always know?

Options
Crystal817
Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
This is directed to those who were adopted in the same country they were born in, did you grow up knowing you were adopted?

Being Korean and raised by caucasian parents, of course I knew I was adopted! Also, my parents always told me from a very young age that I was adopted.

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone, work has been busy so I've been neglecting you all!

Ah, this is a good one, I was thinking about this topic the other day. I honestly don't remember ever being told, I just always knew. It was one of those things that my parents made sure my sister and I knew before we probably even understood what adoption really was. I think this is the best way. I can't imagine having some family meeting where they sat me down and announced it later in life. That seems like it would be devastating, like it was a dirty secret to be hidden. But again, just my opinion based on my experience.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My older brother was told when he was around 15. He always felt so different from his family, felt odd...it really affected his self esteem. He's told me when he found out he was adopted, he felt a HUGE relief, thinking: there are people out there just like me. I want to know them! We are an odd bunch, biologically. We've got some messed up genes.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I always knew. I think it was easier for my parents to tell me I was adopted than it would have been to explain sex to me when I asked where I came from. :wink:

As a small child, I thought my parents ordered me out of a catalogue, and I was delivered by a big truck. I was also pretty sure I was in a cage when I arrived. I was strangely okay with the entire scenario.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    Possibly this sounds cheesy or somewhat trite, but my parents always made a point of letting us know we were chosen. They went through great lengths to bring us into the family. My mom's mom was also adopted, she and I had kind of a special bond. My whole life she made sure to tell me I was special (not in front of the other grandkids of course). :wink:

I never felt strange or different in my family. My sister did though. And once she met her birth dad it was like a lightbulb went off and everything she ever felt strange about made sense. Just the two of us make a great side to each argument of Nature v Nurture.
  • _SusieQ_
    Options
    I always knew. I think it was easier for my parents to tell me I was adopted than it would have been to explain sex to me when I asked where I came from. :wink:

As a small child, I thought my parents ordered me out of a catalogue, and I was delivered by a big truck. I was also pretty sure I was in a cage when I arrived. I was strangely okay with the entire scenario.

Ha hahaha, that made me laugh, the part about the cage.

My mom was so paranoid when I was a baby that my bmom would change her mind and come back for me. She used to hide when the doorbell would ring unexpectedly, and she said she had a "safe house" all picked out to run to with me if anyone ever tried to take me away. By the time my sister came around 7 years later she had mellowed a little. :wink:
  • miracleminded1
    Options
    I'll try to post in the introduction thread later...I just didn't know what to say just yet.

I did always know, because I was a foster kid till I was 9.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've always known I was adopted - my parents also always made a point to tell my brother and I that they chose us because we were so special! Contrarian, you made menkaugh because I felt much the same way as a kid. I always thought my parents walked into a big room filled with babies and they just picked me and took me home - like some kind of baby best buy!
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I have always known, too. Although, we had a running joke in our family about where we came from - my abrother, Gary, would say mom and dad bought me from the Bay and I said they got him at Red Rooster.
  • mamapaints
    mamapaints Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My kids all know, and always have. Of course, it's pretty obvious with all three being different races from my dh and I. However, when my oldest came home from Ethiopia she thought my daughter from Korea was our bio child! I had to explain to her that her sister was adopted too. We have pics of our baby w/ his firstmom displayed in his bedroom. He will know she is his firstmom before he even realizes that we are different colors. ;)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    We have pics of our baby w/ his firstmom displayed in his bedroom. He will know she is his firstmom before he even realizes that we are different colors. ;)

I think that's really awesome!