Maintenance ??

Options
Well, I am not there yet, have a ways to go but wondering about maintenance after losing on low carb.

I have been following low carb, no gluten, grains, limited dairy. Average around 30 net carbs a day generally.

I know I can not go back to eating the way I used to. I am just wondering, if anyone has met there goal and what you do to start maintaining on low carb. Do you add in more calories and stay very low carb or do you add in some more carbs as well? Did you go back to a modified way you used to eat?

I do a modified paleo diet now (no fruit/very limited starchy veggies). So I am guessing, I would slowly add in fruit and sweet potato?

Did anyone add in any grains and maintain ok?

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You should slowly begin to add GOOD carbs back into your diet. I'd start with more veggies and fruits and go from there.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely want to start adding more carbs into your eating plan each day. Atkins has you slowly add foods with different types of carbs week by week, while upping the total number of grams you're eating each week, too. You might look into Phases 3 and 4 on their website or books to get an idea of their approach. The idea is that you keep adding foods and carbs while evaluating the effect on your weight. If you continue to lose, add more. Once you hit your "sweet spot" where you're maintaining at that level for several weeks, you'll know what you need to eat to maintain. For me, that's right around 100 grams of carbs each day.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Add more carbs slowly, veggies and fruit, you have to experiment with the amount and what kind of carbs you will eat with out gaining. If I see the scale going up I just cut right back down, I trying to stay under 100 which Is not that low. but lower than the average I guess
  • yummummum
    Options
    Thanks all!!!! I am so thrilled to be losing that I am not anxious to add much but looking forward to being able to add a bit more fruit and a few splurges (sushi rolls!!!) once I hit my goal! I would be pretty happy I think around 100 carbs a day but wonder where my "sweet spot" will be!

Thanks all!!
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Did you go back to a modified way you used to eat?

I believe that you can never go back to eating the way you did. If you do then you will be back to where you were.

It shouldn't be a surprise and it seems that a lot of people do get surprised.

Mind you I didn't say you can't go back to eating anything you've eaten before. I believe you can since you've reset your body to a new level. You just can't eat those foods at the same levels and frequency.
  • DahnaLane
    DahnaLane Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I believe that you can never go back to eating the way you did. If you do then you will be back to where you were.

Well said...(I am a firm believer that I can never go back to how I "used to be"...whether it be how I ate or how I used to look)

AND looking ahead to your maintenance... there are many places that will make sushi rolls using cucumbers to wrap instead of rice. :) There are ways to live low carb and enjoy eating out. It is finding the healthy balance that best fits YOUR body.