Have you found a special interest in a sport after 40.

Options
lstnlondry
lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
I've found that I LOVE to cross a finish line! I can't run for speed or distance but I enjoy a new race shirt! I also love to sweat because it means I'm getting a great workout. But I was never an athlete! How about you?

Replies

• amybell68
    amybell68 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have not ever walked or ran a race, I have thought about it a few times, but always too scared to try, but as I am walking more everyday (5 miles a day now) I am thinking I could do it!!
  • lstnlondry
    Options
    I have not ever walked or ran a race, I have thought about it a few times, but always too scared to try, but as I am walking more everyday (5 miles a day now) I am thinking I could do it!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • msluluca
    msluluca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've not really taken on any one particular sport, but I'm doing a lot of new things. Walked a 1/2 marathon in the spring and have been learning kayaking lately. I'm planning to eventually run a 5K, but not quite there yet.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call them sports but I have taken up kayaking and kettlebells this year. I totally love the workout I get with kettlebells - fast and effective! I tried to take up running...but failed miserably - I just HATE running. Oh well, wouldn't know if I hadn't tried. And it hasn't stopped me from getting fit.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I started snowboarding a few years ago at age 40 @300 lbs. and it is the best thing I have done for myself in years. I was in an extremely stressful job, and snowboarding became my sanity savior. I LOVE it. In the right conditions it can be pure ecstasy. But!!!!... It is not something to just try. It takes probably a half dozen times to get to the point where you are consistently having a good time, and you run the risk that the first few times may not be fun at all. Like everything else, though, pushing through is worth it. Once you break past a certain point, the learning curve is dramatic, and you quickly begin to challenge yourself to do things you would have never imagined during those initial outings.
  • mrsmorris13
    Options
    Sports??? My new found activities that I love!

Kettle Bells....really, weight lifting in general
    ZUMBA! Total love of mine!
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    In my whole life, the only thingI ever ran to was the refrigerator. But I managed to stumble into distance running a few years ago, and now enjoy it in a somewhat masochistic way.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    This past summer I started playing tennis for the first time in my life, and I love it!! I want to continue, but it's rainy and cold now. Also, I started getting into hiking, and really want to do more with that next summer. I would love both of these to become things that are very much a part of my life, and to eventually hike even in the rain, and maybe some day afford to join a tennis club or something so I can play all year.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I started long distance cycling 3 yrs. ago at age 42. As I have not been under 300 lbs since then, it's hard but I'm so proud of myself. I use a hybrid bike (Trek 7500) which is not ideal but it works. I completed a century ride last year and this year as well, and enjoy rides of 20-60 miles during the summer. My goal next summer is to do 2 centuries and to buy a "normal" road bike when I'm at my goal weight.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, running!!!
    I started running in January this year at age 44 and have found it amazing how much I've enjoyed it. It's been a really hard year (my mum passed away a few months ago after being terminally I'll for quite some time) and running has been the best stress relief ever, in fact it may have been the only thing that kept me sane this year.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My obsession with kayaking started with a 3hr lesson in June 2010, and by June of this year, I was on a 9-day kayaking/camping trip down the French Broad River in NC (in and around Asheville). I mostly kayak lakes for the workout, but I love the rides on the local rivers. Cold weather slows me down, though - I don't like kayaking with icicles forming on my paddle. So to fill that fitness space in the winter, I just started running two months ago, and ran my first 5K race a couple of weeks ago. I wouldn't say I love running - I'll say I love being able to run and being a runner. At least running and hiking will fill the time until kayaking season starts again for me in March.
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As a kid / teen I HATED physical exercise -as in gym class. It started when a boy in my class teased me about my boobs bouncing and for the next 25 years I was too self concious to move, never mind run or otherwise make my body jiggle. (There's not a bra in the world that was 'strong enough' for my comfort.)
    However something happened in June and it was a matter of just starting. It started with walking... and became Zumba. I'm completely obsessed! I love it, my only regret is that I didn't try it sooner. The funniest part about Zumba is that you're supposed to shake all the things that for so long I've been obsessed with keeping as still as possible!
    I've also started running and even though bits of me bounce around a bit (right; I mean a lot!), I really feel great afterwards so it's a bit like a drug for me -I am hooked! :happy:
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Jogging, definitely! I'm not making it too far yet, but I have the desire & drive!

I am so jealous of those of you have listed kayaking. I have always thought it looked fun, but I have the weakest arms around so I'm always scared to try. I also say if I could paddle with my legs or hips, I'd be set! :laugh:
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am hooked on Zumba. I love dancing, shaking, wiggling and grooving to the music. I have trouble keeping up and I certainly don't have any rhythm, but that doesn't stop me. I had to take a few months off because I had an incarcerated hernia and had to have surgery, but have been all cleared to go back.

My husband has noticed a huge difference in my waist, and says that he is very proud of the progress that I have made, but he doesn't understand why I love it so much.

I always just describe it as line wiggling to latin music.

I am hooked on it...love it...can't wait till the next class. I find myself even looking to find the music from class just so that I can wiggle in my living room.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    By far running. I started off right here on MFP just reading about running and the various programs to get folks interested in running.

Now I am hooked!
  • lstnlondry
    Options
    I LOVE you guys!! What great posts!! And I would love to go kayaking!! Now you inspire me to look into a couple of activites!! Kepp up the good work 40somethings!!
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my first love and I started running back in July! I hope to run a 5K in 2012! I want to feel the "High" of crossing the finish line! Not a fast runner at all - I'm a "jogger" too. Up to 2.5 miles is what I'm at. I'm hoping it gets easier as the weight comes off!
  • StarGeezer
    Options
    I don't suppose competition power belching counts? How about Olympic-style Jell-O snorfling? No?! Hmmm... that cuts down on my options... :bigsmile:

I've been doing a lot more walking, and enjoy resistance and weight training as well. Not sure I'll ever be a runner; I've had bad knees and asthma since I was a kid, and have more recently been sidelined with arthritis. Once I get it green-lighted by a physician, I would really like to start bicycling again.
  • miracleminded1
    Options
    I love Jazzercise!! :) I love the music and the movement and that each routine (song) is different. I love hearing a song from class on the radio and how it makes me want to move my body, where ever I am. I love noticing the progress I am making in my stamina and strength. I love that I can adjust it to suit me...whether it's having to go low impact for a while, or to take those squats extra low and those jumps extra high...or even just hold back because it's a low-energy day. :yawn:

I'm trying - again - to become a runner. I seem to start on that path and then before long give it up, for one reason or another. But I'd really like to be able to vanquish that little voice in my head that tells me "You're not a runner!" To that, I reply "Oh yeah, who says? WATCH ME!!" And then kick dust in it's face as I run off into the distance!! :smile:

If I can accomplish that, then who knows what other little voices in my head I can put a muzzle on, as well?!

When I was in basic training, many moons ago, I got to the point of being able to run 5 miles easy...I want to be there again. I want to know that I could run for my life if I ever needed to...not that I want to HAVE to, mind you, but it would be good to know that I am ABLE TO!!
  • Ernestern
    Ernestern Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would have to say it is running, which is odd coming from me. When I retired from the Army, I'd have sworn then that I would never run another mile again. 20 years of early morning jaunts through the countryside had gotten quite old.

Now, five years later (and 40 lbs heavier) I've picked it up again and realized how much I missed it. I've taken to signing up for a 5k or better race each month (not that I'm currently in any shape to win any of them - though I did do better than I expected last month) in order to keep myself motivated in continuing my trainnig and weight loss.

My current racing goals are to do a 5k or better each month, race in a 10K by summer, and do the St Jude Half-Marathon by next December....So far I've been meeting them with a 5K in Oct, a 4 miler on Thanksgiving, and I'm signed up for another 5K in December. Hopefully I can keep it up throughout next year....