Welcome!

Options
jonzo21
jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
Hello everyone, welcome to the self control group. I hope we can all benefit from each others ideas and motivation to help curb those nasty habits that only set us back.

So let us get to know each other!

Tell us a little about yourself. You can tell us what brought you to this group, what you're trying to accomplish, what you've already accomplished, your biggest issues with self control, or anything else you are comfortable with

Replies

• techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Amanda. I am a 29 year old wife, mom of 1, and teacher. I actually lost about 80lbs before my son and gained it all back! :( I had will power last time, but I can't seem to find it at all this time! I can tell myself I don't need to go through the drive thru, eat the 2nd piece of pizza, eat the candy, drink the soda, etc... but for some reason I do it anyway! AHHHHHH! My husband is a great man, but not at all helpful with this. If I say, "I want ice cream" he grabs the keys and goes to the store to get some before I can say, "but I don't need it."

I am pretty much an open book! I look forward to getting to know each of you and working together to support each other in our goals!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Hi! I am Amanda. I am a 29 year old wife, mom of 1, and teacher. I actually lost about 80lbs before my son and gained it all back! :( I had will power last time, but I can't seem to find it at all this time! I can tell myself I don't need to go through the drive thru, eat the 2nd piece of pizza, eat the candy, drink the soda, etc... but for some reason I do it anyway! AHHHHHH! My husband is a great man, but not at all helpful with this. If I say, "I want ice cream" he grabs the keys and goes to the store to get some before I can say, "but I don't need it."

I am pretty much an open book! I look forward to getting to know each of you and working together to support each other in our goals!

welcome! It sounds like you have a great husband lol. Just remember our family and friends can be there to support us, maybe talk to him about your self control and have him be the one to tell you no instead. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to do this for me as I hardly see any of my family, but I can imagine how good that kind of support could be.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    I just realized I didn't even introduce myself haha.

My name is Janean, and I'm a college student (major in psychology) and also a part time worker at a fast food restaurant. You can probably already imagine where my self control suffers as I work around food 5 days a week. Also being a college student I'm on a budget and cant always afford the healthiest options. I suffer the most at work (especially the shifts where I'm the manager) all that food is just there haunting me. I've tried bringing sandwiches to work, but sometimes I just crave the food I'm working around. I try to make healthier versions of the food, but there's just some nights where I make the most unhealthiest thing you can think of! Also we tend to snack on little things while working... like potatos, nachos, and any mistake or left over food. Its hard to resist when it comes down to throwing food away or eating it, i'd rather eat it. So far the diary I've started (see the challenge thread) has helped me stop snacking at work and eating fast food on the days I'm at school. I've only done it a few days already, and I think it could take some serious motivation to keep at it, but I really think it will work for me.
  • melelana
    melelana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! My name is Katie (though calling me Melelana is perfectly fine... It's a bit of a second name in real life, so I'm used to answering to it.)

I'm 21 years old and just starting to get a feel for my metabolism slowing down... I used to be a really active dancer in high school and early college, so I could literally eat WHATEVER I wanted, whenever I wanted, and not gain a pound. Then, I spent a while nearly completely inactive after a knee injury. That, combined with the "relationship weight" I put on after I met my wonderful boyfriend, turned into a 25 pound weight gain.

Now I want to lose the weight so I can get the best out of my youth while I'm still young!

Where this relates to self-control: I'm still trying to get the hang of the idea that I can't do whatever I want if I want to lose/maintain weight. Also: I LOVE food. I love cooking, I love eating out, I love watching cooking shows... I have to keep finding ways to make eating/cooking healthy just as fun as eating/cooking decidantly!
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options

welcome! It sounds like you have a great husband lol. Just remember our family and friends can be there to support us, maybe talk to him about your self control and have him be the one to tell you no instead. Unfortunately I don't have anyone to do this for me as I hardly see any of my family, but I can imagine how good that kind of support could be.

I have asked him for support and told him what I need, but... he is a sweetie, but he doesn't get it sometimes. Tonight - fudge rounds and coke for me as a special treat! AHHHHHH! No, I haven't touched them.

Nice to meet you, Ladies!
  • jk051861
    jk051861 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My goal is 145 pounds by Christmas. It's a present I want to give myself. I am currently 155, so it's not an overwhelming goal. However, I am my own worst enemy. There is this little voice that tells me it's ok to have a Reese mini, but 1 turns into 5; it's ok to go to the Mexican Restaurant once a week; it's ok to eat that cheesecake for dessert even though I had M&Ms earlier. I just can't get away from this little devil for 2 or 3 days at a time. Then I will be strong for 2 or 3 days, and the little voice comes back. I have no willpower against it. I hope this group will help.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    My goal is 145 pounds by Christmas. It's a present I want to give myself. I am currently 155, so it's not an overwhelming goal. However, I am my own worst enemy. There is this little voice that tells me it's ok to have a Reese mini, but 1 turns into 5; it's ok to go to the Mexican Restaurant once a week; it's ok to eat that cheesecake for dessert even though I had M&Ms earlier. I just can't get away from this little devil for 2 or 3 days at a time. Then I will be strong for 2 or 3 days, and the little voice comes back. I have no willpower against it. I hope this group will help.

I know the feeling... Reeses are my best friend and yet, my worst enemy. Have you checked out our challenge? Maybe that will help you with self control... do little steps at a time make your goals simple at first and progress as the weeks go on. I've been logging my goals for the past few days now and so far have been proud at what I've accomplished. Good luck, keep in touch with your progress!
  • jessiew0
    jessiew0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :wink: Hi my name is Jessica . I am happily married with 2 cats :heart: I am currently stuck around the 198-200 mark for last few months, not complaining, I started at 267 so I am still ahead of the game. Just like you guys struggling with will power right now and on top of the one reese turning into 5 i also have been struggling to stay motivated to work out... My goal weight is 150 -160 lbs and i would like to reach this by next spring/summer. I am hoping i can make some more "pals" on here and we can all help motivate... i have made my diary public so maybe if I know you are watchin i wont eat the sugar so much? its worth a shot :)
  • beachlove09
    beachlove09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi- im kt. im a college student and im looking to control not only my weight but my negative thoughts about my weight. i have lost 35lbs since the beginning of this year but i was not going about it the right way and im ready to lose the rest by being healthy! i joined MFP just a few days ago and im loving it. the support on here is amazing!

feel free to add me- i love to talk and im open to sharing stories and encouraging each other!:smile:
  • Gr33nstars
    Options
    Nice to meet you all! I'm 27, from the UK, 266lbs currently. I've always been overweight (well, since school dinners became a part of my life in 1988!) and stress is a big part of why I overeat. I'm happily cohabiting - with a food lover.
    I work for a library service in a team of foodies and amazing bakers, and the job itself is sedentery and sometimes stressful (who would have thought libraries were stressful, right?)
    Like so many other people, evenings and weekends are particularly hard for me. I rely on low fat hot chocolate to get me through, although it doesn't always work, hence the obesity!
  • Gamino22
    Gamino22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Carmen, I'm 31 and slowly getting bigger and bigger! I was in the military 8 years ago and when I got out I went crazy with my new found freedom. All the eating and no working out caught up with me and next th ing I knew I was 100lbs heavier. At my biggest I was 270 and got down to 200. But the past couple years I have crept up to 224. I needs to stop my impulse eating and get to a healthy place. I don't want to be skinny, I never was, but fit like I was in the military . My goal is 165lbs and
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    This was the first group I joined because I know self control is my problem. I need to eat the right things and do the right things which should be simple but I struggle.

I'm 26 years old, exercise 1-2 a week. Only need to lose 35lb (if I lost 35lb I would probably be in love with my body) so I also struggle being close to my ideal weight.

I have nick-named this group the take control and stop making excuses group. "you only think you want that cake" "It is not to late to pack your gym bag so you can go straight from work tomorrow"

I hope I can help you guys too!
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    hello

im charlotte from the very very top of the uk!! im 21 and mum to 2 kids a daughter whos 4 and a son whos 6 weeks. im happily living with my partner marc but since moving in with him a year ago and having my son i have put on 2stone so hoping to loose it all!! and get back down to 10stone 5lbs

i have always been up and down with my weight i danced from the age of 6 untill 16 when i became pregnant with my daughter then i went on to teaching dance untill she was almost 2 even then i couldnt eat what i wanted and was heavier than what i was when i stopped.

i excercise 6 times a week but cant do anything with my right arm as it has been sore since before my son was born and is gettin worse just need to find the time to go to the docs as its getting bad! theres pain in my under arm when i put my head down (anyone got any ideas what that mite be?) also it just hurts around the coller bone sorry abit off topic there! :laugh:

feel free to add me :happy:
  • eholliarcus
    Options
    Hey! I'm Em! I'm 22 years old and currently going to graduate school in Chicago.

Both my job and school require me to sit most of the day and getting to the gym is sooooooo hard (even though it's only 3 blocks away and I paid for my membership). I know that my issue is self-control- I know exactly what I should be doing to lose weight and just can't force myself to get into the groove of things. I'm also starting my student teaching next semester (I'm getting my Masters in Education) which means that while I may be more active I'll have way less time.

I used to be really active. In high school I played soccer for 2 years and then started going to the gym every morning with my mom before school (5am isn't much worse than 6am). But then college hit and I just couldn't motivate myself to go. I put on about 15 pounds, but managed to keep things steady until I moved out on my own, tanked a relationship and had some health issues, when I hit a record of 205lbs. My current short term goal (by May) is to weigh drop about 25 lbs to 170 lbs (about where I was when I started college).

Let's do this!
  • almille
    Options
    Hey! I'm Alexandra. I'm 22 and on an internship for mechanical engineering. I'll go back to school in January.

I love this challenge! I really do have a hard time fighting the 'its okay, you can have another' voice. I also have self control issues that affect other facets of my life, so I'll be looking to improve those too- tackling a job I dont want to do, kicking some bad habits.

I'm currently 156ish pounds and trying to get to 150 by the time my weightlifting class starts at school- January ninth.
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Theresa. I started this back on the 1st of November and have lost 11 lbs so far. Could have been more but obviously still struggling with control issues... I am 48, single mom although my baby is going to be 18 soon and my oldest is 20 - lol! I have been overweight all my life and tried every diet known, lost a lot, gained a lot back. Not getting any younger and finally decided to do something seriously about this! All I have left now are my kids, I lost my parents and my only sibling within the past 5 years and the boys are about to be on their own soon. I don't want to be alone the rest of my life and this weight has kept me from doing a LOT of things. I've pretty much been hibernating for a few years and packing on the pounds. I have been addicted to food and obviously still am, I tend to run to it when I am stressed. This site has helped me at least be accountable for it and is helping tremendously. However, I am in need of support, so here I am :-).
  • tsjourney
    tsjourney Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Theresa. I started this back on the 1st of November and have lost 11 lbs so far. Could have been more but obviously still struggling with control issues... I am 48, single mom although my baby is going to be 18 soon and my oldest is 20 - lol! I have been overweight all my life and tried every diet known, lost a lot, gained a lot back. Not getting any younger and finally decided to do something seriously about this! All I have left now are my kids, I lost my parents and my only sibling within the past 5 years and the boys are about to be on their own soon. I don't want to be alone the rest of my life and this weight has kept me from doing a LOT of things. I've pretty much been hibernating for a few years and packing on the pounds. I have been addicted to food and obviously still am, I tend to run to it when I am stressed. This site has helped me at least be accountable for it and is helping tremendously. However, I am in need of support, so here I am :-).