The wrong deadlift . . . oops

Options
So I realized last night that I was doing the wrong deadlift. I've been doing straight leg or Barbell Romanian deadlifts in Stage 1. I wonder if I can do more or less weight with the plain old barbell deadlift. I was talking to DH about how sore my back muscles were from deadlifting and he said "you're doing them wrong" and I said "then show me how to do them right" and he did a regular old deadlift. I said "I swear it says 'straight leg deadlift' in the book" and showed him a straight leg. So then I went back to the book, and apparently that's a later variation that I somehow got stuck in my head.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Opps. I bet you could do a lot more weight in a regular deadlift because you lift with your legs not your back.
  • Janda06
    Janda06 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing :)
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I wish I had someone to school me on deadlifts! Mistakes happen -- it's not as though the stiff-leg is completely useless, but now you know! :)

(I've been people-watching at my work gym trying to see if there's anyone I trust enough to watch my deadlift form and help me out ... nada. I'll just keep watching the mirrors and hoping it's right :\)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Ooops. :) I bet you can do more on the normal deads.
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I made the same mistake too. Sounds like it's a common error. :embarassed:
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Woops.. I think I've been doing them wrong. I keep feeling it in my back as well. I think I need to move my feet farther apart. Anyway, tonight, I was thinking that I should probably check to see how to do them correctly. Thanks for the information!