Hi everyone, I'm new to the group.

Options
I'm 52 years old and haven't had a period since last year of November so I must be in menopause. I've gained 30 lbs in the last two years and can't get the weight off because I'm hungry all the time. This is not fair. I tried more protein, more fiber, counting calores, eating every 3-4 hours. and exercising. I don't get any real advice from the doctor except to accept the weight I'm at. What? My freinds laugh at me and say welcome to our world. That's why I am here to get support and advice to help me to lose weight and keep it off. Thanks for letting me say whats on my mind. Darlene

Replies

• debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi Darlene- welcome to our group. Where are you from. I am from Western Australia and am wondering if you too are over this way in the world considering the time you have posted. I am staggered that your doctors response was to live with it- it is almost funny.
    Have you been a member of MFP for very long- it has been incredibly helpful to me. I have struggled with weight issues my whole life and the only way that I have had success is by recording everything I eat and offsetting it with as much exercise as possible. MFP has just made that so much easier for me - especially seeing I can access it on my mobile phone.
    It is actually possible to lose weight when menopausal- I have lost 27kilos- it is just harder and at times it feels impossible- you just have to stick with it even through weeks where your weight just doesn't change. The other thing is that if you are hungry all the time- look for lower calorie options and increase your exercise so that you can actually eat more.
    This is a great group of women and I am sure you will get heaps of support here.
    Debbie
  • sweatymary
    Options
    Hi, MFP has helped me with my new healthy lifestyle and weight loss journey :-D Debbie is spot on with her weight loss advice ... it is possible but there is no escaping the fact that it is hard ... no easy options unfortunately.

I have done a lot of research and it would seem that most peri and menopausal women get no real help from the medical profession ... my own doctor said you can take HRT or go off and research some herbal options yourself, goodbye! And that was it!

We women are our own source of information ... by sharing our experiences and most importantly what has worked for each of us we can try things. Every woman is different so what works for one will not necessarily work for another, it is very much a case of trial and error.

Read as much as you can about other womens successes and try different things and hopefully you will find something that works for you.

In the meantime, a healthy balanced diet with plenty of exercise and use MFP to log EVERYTHING (no cheating) and I am sure you will soon become LOSERS like us :-D (weight loss losers of course)

Good luck, Mary xxx
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It used to be a slur to call someone a loser. We can turn that around and make it into a compliment now can't we???
    To all you Losers in the group: Have a great and healthy weekend! I'll be at the swimming pool myself. Hope you find something fun to burn off those calories with!! :bigsmile:
  • LookoutLisa
    Options
    Hi Darlene,

Sounds like we are on the same schedule, except I'm just 46. My last period was a year ago, and I was surprised at this extra layer around my middle that developed since then! I used to be able to lose much more easily. I've also been working out the past two years so I know part of the weight gain IS muscle (and I do need to accept that), but for sure the rest is the result of the menopause munchies...

Welcome to MFP and I hope that it (and us!) can be of assistance.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    i'm from Andrews, Indiana a very small town with one gas station, 3 bars and 4 churches. I'm 2 hours north of Indianapolis where the 500 racetrack is. We have 3 reservoirs in the area for recreation like campling, picnics, riding horses or snowmobiles, swimming, boating, fishing, and many other activities. Our town is the stopping point for the Harley Davidson bikers. My hubby just bought one and I'm going to be a newbie at this so I have to lose weight to look good on a bike. lol. My kids think I'm going through mid life crisis. My daughter says to me grandma's are supposed to be plump and making goodies in the kitchen. Ha, not me. I will need all the support and encouragement I can get. :)
  • Darlene4prayers
    Options
    Thank-you, I'm already pumped up.:)
  • Darlene4prayers
    Options
    Thank-you.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Options
    Thanks to all of you as we go through this journey together.