Turkey Day Burn Off, I need your input

Options
My brother is putting together a 2 hour training session at the gym the Sat. following Thanksgiving and he's asked me to help him run the event. It's going to be a 2 hours session to burn off the turkey day feast. We have a general idea of what we will do but I would like to get all your feedback and suggestions since you are all crazy Lics.

Here's what we had in mind

Warmup (14-16 mins)
1) 1 mile Jog
2) 1 min Jump rope
3) 1 min Body squats
4) 1 min Moutain climbers
5) 1 min Burpees
6) 1 min Switch kicks
7) 1 min Jack knives

Stretching - 5-6 mins of stretches

On to the fun stuff ( I want to setup stations where there will be 5-6 people per station and they will be there for 1 min each. Everyone will rotate till they've hit every station, then take a short break and repeat for several rounds, perhaps 5 rounds)

Training (70-80 mins)
1) Pullups or negatives
2) Box jumps
3) Push ups or bench press
4) Deadlifts
5) Bent over rows
6) Kettlebell swings
7) Komodo dragon crawl (plank pushup variation)
8) Clean and Press
9) Tabata battle ropes
10) Prowler push (sled push)

Cooldown - 1 mile jog (10-12 mins)

Finish - 5-6 mins of stretching

Replies

• clintondene
    clintondene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    this looks awesome, i want to do it.
    Maybe throw in some crazy ab workouts.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

My brother and I do a similar routine in his class, but not for a full 2 hours, only 45 mins. I'm just not sure if most of the people that will participate can sustain that level of intensity for almost 100 mins.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

I was thinking about that, perhaps instead of the cooldown jog, a good 10-12 mins ab session.
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I teach a turkey burn off master class at my gym, too. "Ultimate Cardio"

You know my warm up already, hehe :)

I use the stepper to do sprints - soccer practice and lunges, hop overs , plyometrics with a 180 turn jump
    With cones: suicides, group style sprints and stuff
    If you have a track: I do 4 x 20 sec sprint on 85 % and 40 sec recovery.
    If you have a stair well - run for 6 min.
    then one I love most are turkish get ups 8 to 16 per leg with a dumbell/kettlebell over head hold - use legs windshield whiper kind so knees don't get hurt.
    We have PTrainers who use ropes and truck tires outdside in the parking lot - that's too much to entertain a large group, but for a small group that would be fun.
    Jump rope - or fake ones with out rope and then of course p90x abs or plank style abs...
  • Abigailblue39
    Options

I was thinking about that, perhaps instead of the cooldown jog, a good 10-12 mins ab session.

It's always good to do 15 min abs and then 5 min stretch at the end. I usually teach 45 min - whatever, 12 min abs, 3 min stretching something like this.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I teach a turkey burn off master class at my gym, too. "Ultimate Cardio"

You know my warm up already, hehe :)

I use the stepper to do sprints - soccer practice and lunges, hop overs , plyometrics with a 180 turn jump
    With cones: suicides, group style sprints and stuff
    If you have a track: I do 4 x 20 sec sprint on 85 % and 40 sec recovery.
    If you have a stair well - run for 6 min.
    then one I love most are turkish get ups 8 to 16 per leg with a dumbell/kettlebell over head hold - use legs windshield whiper kind so knees don't get hurt.
    We have PTrainers who use ropes and truck tires outdside in the parking lot - that's too much to entertain a large group, but for a small group that would be fun.
    Jump rope - or fake ones with out rope and then of course p90x abs or plank style abs...

Nice, thanks for chiming in. My brother's class in primarily MMA styly training, tabata ropes, tractor tire flips, prowler push, sandbag runs, and lots of squats, animal crawls, etc. But for this large a group I don't think we can fit the tires in. I'd like to incorporate suicide sprints and abs like you suggested. Thanks again for your input!
  • Abigailblue39
    Options

My brother and I do a similar routine in his class, but not for a full 2 hours, only 45 mins. I'm just not sure if most of the people that will participate can sustain that level of intensity for almost 100 mins.

If it's a 2 hour - or all my UT classes, I teach intense and then recovery. say sprint 20 sec and recovery 40 sec (jogging). Use a whistle and a stop watch (you probably know that. This way, you keep the stations moving. To hit the anaerobic threashold, sprint no loger than 10 sec. on max 90-95 % of capacity then recover.

I used to have more space ( the entire basketball court), I always did intense recovery (jogging) throughout the whole thing. It was really a work out that made me faster.

You could to a 3 min slight jogging sequence, each time you wistle yell burpee, bruce lee side kick 2 times. That's a nice HIIT ex I recently use.

I also (think) I came up with floor mountain climbers 8 sets 8 mc plus 2 push ups.Everybody loves this one.
  • Abigailblue39
    Options
    I hear you - I teach large group ex, I try not to split up, bc HR goes down and peeps get confused. Suicides, push ups, mountain climbers, fake - rope, burpees, jacks (or step touches) squats, lunges are perfect for large classes. You can prace kickboxing, too, like a jumped kick : you go "front kicks for everybody" - once you wistle everyone has to lift left knee and jump a right roundhouse kick in the air (tilt hip), I do 4 with - recovery, then 10 wistled jumped kicks and then I switch legs.
    Or a boxing combo. 4 jabs left (shuffle left), 2 jacks then other side

If you need to split give everybody a number once they come in. say 2 groups you go: you are 1, you are 2, or whatever number. Then at least later they know where to line up. Otherwise lots of people become hard to manage.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I hear you - I teach large group ex, I try not to split up, bc HR goes down and peeps get confused. Suicides, push ups, mountain climbers, fake - rope, burpees, jacks (or step touches) squats, lunges are perfect for large classes. You can prace kickboxing, too, like a jumped kick : you go "front kicks for everybody" - once you wistle everyone has to lift left knee and jump a right roundhouse kick in the air (tilt hip), I do 4 with - recovery, then 10 wistled jumped kicks and then I switch legs.

If you need to split give everybody a number once they come in. say 2 groups you go: you are 1, you are 2, or whatever number. Then at least later they know where to line up. Otherwise lots of people become hard to manage.

Amazing ideas and advice, thank you so much! I'll share these ideas with my brother, I'm certain we will use most of them.
  • Abigailblue39
    Options

Practice yelling and using the whistle. It's like herding sheep you'll see...
    Amazing ideas and advice, thank you so much! I'll share these ideas with my brother, I'm certain we will use most of them.
  • Abigailblue39
    Options
    Any time, I've been teaching group ex in groups from 15-50 since more than a decade now :) It's not money maker but sure a lot of fun seeing all the dedicated people.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Practice yelling and using the whistle. It's like herding sheep you'll see...

I can imagine, I workout doing RIPPED with many of the people who will participate in the Turkey burn, they complain about everything.
  • Gdnabor
    Options
    Wow, and I thought just running my 8 miles before lunch was intense! You all are crazy!!! But I have to admit that it almost makes me want to join the gym just to go to your class!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Wow, and I thought just running my 8 miles before lunch was intense! You all are crazy!!! But I have to admit that it almost makes me want to join the gym just to go to your class!!

Trying to get the owner of the gym to allow a day pass for a few bucks for those who want to just participate in the turkey burn or other classes offered.
  • Gdnabor
    Options
    That would be awesome! Let me know if that ever happens or if they will let you buy like 10 classes or something like that.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    That would be awesome! Let me know if that ever happens or if they will let you buy like 10 classes or something like that.

I'll definately let you know if she buys into the suggestion.
  • Abigailblue39
    Options
    Yea a group setting is more fun than doing it by yourself, although, technically you could do it. I love to teach that stuff, and I havea ton of ripped people and only very few "complainers" :) Good thing is, the constant teaching has kept me in good shape over the years... And I plan on doing it at least another 20 years...

fpadukan: you'll rock next week. and then teach class (get certificate if needed)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Yea a group setting is more fun than doing it by yourself, although, technically you could do it. I love to teach that stuff, and I havea ton of ripped people and only very few "complainers" :) Good thing is, the constant teaching has kept me in good shape over the years... And I plan on doing it at least another 20 years...

fpadukan: you'll rock next week. and then teach class (get certificate if needed)

Thanks again for your expert advice and encouragement. My brother is certified, he and the gym owner have been encouraging me to get certified as well. We'll see, I definately love helping others reach their goals.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    looks like a great workout! I'm unsure that you're normal 45 minute peoples will be able to keep it up for twice as long, but you can always add in recovery exercises if needed. hope it goes well!!
  • Abigailblue39
    Options
    [/quote]

Thanks again for your expert advice and encouragement. My brother is certified, he and the gym owner have been encouraging me to get certified as well. We'll see, I definately love helping others reach their goals.
    [/quote]

I'm certified through AfAA, but ACE is likewise good. You can do group ex and/or PT. But you can probably make more money doing PT. However, it's my passionate hobby, so I just do group ex.