Fear

I have no idea why, but the free way section of the gym just makes me nervous I guess that's why i keep finding a way to avoid going over there. I know its kind of funny its not like I am a tinny or easily intimidated. ugg just got done cleaning my garage i have been avoiding the gym all week. Sure its nice to get things done around the house but I guess I have to accept what I am doing avoiding the gym.

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    it seems like you have done your research and have made a good plan i wouldnt be nervous if i were you. you are a man on a mission you can do this.

now GO TO THE GYM!
  • claimslady
    claimslady Posts: 10 Member
    Jake, I know I am new to this group, so don't take offense when I say...DON'T BE A WOOSE! You go get in that free way and make them make room for you!!!

Half those guys haven't done half what you have to get where you are...60#?!? What are you thinking?

I am a girl and felt intimidated by the fact that there were no girls over there, but when I decided that is what I needed to do to get what I wanted I went for it!!! So...let us know how it goes. :)
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Try being a woman who has to remove a ton of weight off of each piece of equipment just to lift, then feels out of respect or obligation she better put the weight back the way she got it. Makes moving on to your next exercise a lot more time consuming.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 584 Member
    Ok it wasn't terrible but still a bit uncomfortable for me I don't know what the stuff is called, where it is. I took a bar off the bench press to do my deadlifts and some guys like the bars for that are over there, they were leaned up in a corner. That was my first lift so I started feeling stupid but I stayed and finished. All and all it was a great work out I am even excited to do it again. Oh ya I should admit that I procrastinated till the gym was only open for one more hour before I finally got off my rear and went. LOL
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    ...but you went. Walking through the door is the hardest part. Don't worry about making mistakes. Who cares, really? Just pay a little bit of attention to what some of the other people are doing and you'll catch on. Maybe start out with just a few different lifts. You pay your gym membership just like everyone else. When I started going to the gym I felt a little out of place. After a while, though, I remember telling myself, "This is MY gym!" That is YOUR gym, too; whether you're comfortable or not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,910 Member
    Lack of knowledge will create fear. You can learn about it. Bodybuilding.com is a great place to learn about workouts an execution of exercises. Better yet, do one session with a PT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    Keep going... you will start to get more and more comfortable and learn your way around... wait until you have to do the sublime hip extensions with the balance ball. LOL that can make the most proudful man blush! But it is a killer workout and it how you are going to get yourself in the shape you want to be in! Kick *kitten*!
  • Haha - that's what I have to do too! But you know what...I belong there too! And...if I can remove the weight to make the bars weight that I can lift, then they can add it back on! :) Actually...since I've joined a co-ed gym (which took me a VERY long time & 65# to do...) I've had A LOT of guys who would easily be stereotypical "muscle-heads" be very helpful to me and give me additional ideas for free weights.
    With that being said...it was very intimidating to me at first as well... ESPECIALLY being a female...
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Ok it wasn't terrible but still a bit uncomfortable for me I don't know what the stuff is called, where it is. I took a bar off the bench press to do my deadlifts and some guys like the bars for that are over there, they were leaned up in a corner. That was my first lift so I started feeling stupid but I stayed and finished. All and all it was a great work out I am even excited to do it again. Oh ya I should admit that I procrastinated till the gym was only open for one more hour before I finally got off my rear and went. LOL

Good for you JJ..That first step is probably the hardest. Now you can realize you did it and it did not kill you. Upward and onward!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    What are you specifically afraid of?
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 584 Member
    I think for me its mainly the lack of knowledge. Injury, getting in the way of others, just looking stupid.
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    I think for me its mainly the lack of knowledge. Injury, getting in the way of others, just looking stupid.

I'm with you on ^^^^^^^ that
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Lack of knowledge will create fear. You can learn about it. Bodybuilding.com is a great place to learn about workouts an execution of exercises. Better yet, do one session with a PT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That website is AWESOME! I can't believe what you can access for free! (Much like I can't believe MFP is free) thanks for that link!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,078 Member
    I feel the same way all the time
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,078 Member

I feel the same way all the time.
  • Nirlbou
    Nirlbou Posts: 27 Member
    Try being a woman who has to remove a ton of weight off of each piece of equipment just to lift, then feels out of respect or obligation she better put the weight back the way she got it. Makes moving on to your next exercise a lot more time consuming.

Oh you got it all wrong. Next time one of them guys leaves their wieghts on the bar you tell "Hey. im not your moma. Put that up"

That bar should be empty when you start and leave. ;)