Good book gone bad in audio!

Options
I really hate it when a book I know is good just cannot keep my attention because the person reading it is so dull! It usually happens in older books that were recorded years ago but I've had it happen in some that were recently recorded too! The great thing about books is you get to use your imagination. You get to decide the way a character looks and sounds. Some audio books allow you to still do that. Right now though, I just started reading/listening to a book that sounds interesting enough, Richard Castles, Heat Wave but the reader is boring me! I love to listen when I'd exercising. This doesnt motivate me!

Does anyone else listen to books and what's your thoughts?

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    "The Road" was horrible in audio.

Most books are great in audio. I haven't picked up and read a book in over a year but get through several audio books a week.
  • JennyLJones
    JennyLJones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love audio books!
  • mrsbaileybrown
    Options
    I understand. God do I. I have at least two author I cannot listen to in audio form, it ruins the story for me. But, Laurell K. Hamilton I can only get into if its in audio form.:wink:
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I recently listened to Stephen King's Under the Dome on audio (mainly bc I didn't want to lug around a humongous book, but also beucase I will listen to a book faster than I would read it). The guy that read it was AMAZING... he did voices for each character, and if you know anything about Stephen King tomes, you know the number of characters can get on up there!

Conversely, I listened to Dexter is Delicious (read by the author) and it was just awful. I think it was about 50/50 the book was not great to begin with, but then Jeff Lindsay reading it only made it worse.

There are good and bad ones out there.
  • enmajors1
    Options
    My favorite book, Cause Celeb by Helen Fiedling, is terrible on audio. The reader is a pretentious sounding woman in her 40's and the story is told from the 20 something, middle class heroin's point of view. I have read the book about 15 times but I couldn't make it all the way through 1 listen!

On the other hand, I listened to The Memory of Running and the author and reader, Ron McLarty, was amazing. I am actually I listened to rather than read that book!