Week One

Just thought I'd start a thread for people in the first week!

Replies

• I got started again tonight, week one, run one is done. :happy:

Treadmill
    Walk- 4.0
    Run- 6.5
    Distance: 2.03 miles
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    I finished week one yesterday and moving on to week 2 tomorrow. I kinda tweaked my right shin/ankle pushing a little too hard on the last interval, so i think i'm going to take it easy and not push quite so hard. :o)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    I'm back on week one this week!

I already finished week 1 and week 2, but my runs were so weak during week 2 I realized I was not ready to progress to week 2 in the first place. So I think I'm gonna do week 1 again this week, next week, and oh hell maybe the week after that too if I don't feel any stronger.

I had spent 5 long years on Ship Sedentary, but since June I've been brisk walking very regularly - so I thought I was somewhat ready for C25K. Not so much though. I run (no I think "lumber along" is a better description) like that kid from the Goonies - what's his name..... Chunk.

I want to try it out on a treadmill because it's getting cold now and I also want to see what my actual speed is as I've been guestimating. I'm also guestimating that I should go get fitted for proper running shoes as even this week 1 and week 2 program is giving me shin splints during the run - but thankfully no pain afterward.

So, looking forward to week 1 graduation hopefully sometime before Christmas!
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    I have been telling myself for the last 3 days that I'm going to start this on Monday (after I finish my last week of JM). Well tonight they sent me home from work early because its slow so I decided to just go for it. And I DID IT! I really didnt think I would be able to hold up to the runs because I feel that I have absolutely no endurance but I did! I only quit one run section early and it was up hill and turned out to be like 5seconds to quick (kicking self). Now on to the next day.
  • The_Wallflower
    The_Wallflower Posts: 111 Member
    Just started today!!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    I'll be doing W1D3 on Friday morning :drinker:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I just started today! I walked at 3 and ran at 4.5, went about 1.5 miles.

I loved it! I've had recurring dreams involving the freeing sensation of running. Soon I will feel it for real!
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    I'm doing a "pre-c25k" type thing right now. I am in NO SHAPE to be doing it. I tried so hard the first day (yesterday), and got about half way done and thought I was going to die.... So I decided to extend the walking times to 2 minutes. So, this was my 2nd day of successfully doing that... Hopefully next week I'll start!
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Just got back from finishing Week 1. I can't wait for week two! I'll have ChaLEAN Extreme work outs to keep me occupied until Sunday.
  • Week One, run two on Thursday. Exact same stats as run one (I didn't really push myself on pace Thursday)

Treadmill
    Walk- 4.0
    Run- 6.5
    Distance: 2.03 miles

Finishing week one today and will start week two tomorrow.
  • Done! Pushed myself a little harder today and did my runs at 7.5. Looking forward to week 2 tomorrow!

Couch to 5K: Week 1, Run 3
    Treadmill, Walk: 4.0, Run: 7.5
    Distance: 2.17 miles
  • Heading out the door for run 2 in week 1. It's really chilly out. Hopefully all goes well.
  • I've been telling myself once I got to a fitness level that I felt comfortable to start running that I'd start training for a 5k and I think I'm there. Plan on going for a brisk walk tomorrow to scout out a route and doing week 1 workout 1 Monday morning. Wish me luck lol.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    The weather yesterday was nice enough to finally get out and run again. Week 1 Day 5 technically. I still feel really weak during the running bit, and I have terrible shin splints in the first couple runs, but toward the middle and end these go away. My little cocker spaniel is really thrilled to be walk/jogging with me and she is a great helper.

It's cute because she's figured out when my phone says something it's time to switch. We're walking along, and as soon as the phone says "Run now" she starts running before I do. Then it says "Walk now" and she slows down reluctantly. She could run the whole bit of course, but she tolerates the slow lumbering lady next to her.

So, for logging Week 1 here's how I calculated the time splits - not sure how accurate it is though:
    Warmup walk 3.5mph - 5 minutes
    Jogging 5.0mph 60 sec - 7 minutes
    Walking 4 mph 90 sec - 13 minutes
    Cooldown walk 3.0mph - 5 minutes

For the speeds I just guesstimate how fast I'm going. I seriously doubt I'm hitting 5.0 in most of my jogging though. But my heart is pounding, I'm sweating in 50 degree weather and I can hardly speak during the jogging bits, so the effort is very high.

Does anyone else have their calculations for comparision?
  • ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    Today I did Week 1 Day 2 :) I was so happy because unlike the first day I KNEW I could do it from the moment I walked out the door. This time I took my ferocious dog with me (8lb poodle, LOL) which made it more work because after so long he decided it was time to be carried. LOL I actually did one of the run times while carrying him. I also used the cool down time to work on his behaviors (why is "sit" harder than "heel"?) so I kind of killed two birds with one stone.

I feel so good after doing it that I just want to go do it again! And THAT is amazing, I have never ever liked running
  • Didn't get to log on yesterday cuz my pc decided to go on the fritz agaian. But Sunday's walk went really well - I actually took the dogs with me and they were having so much fun that we just kept on going for 4miles! So yesterday I offically did workout 1. Wasn't too bad and for a few increments I actually cut back the walking from 90secs to 60secs. Feel very accomplished (though my thighes are sore today). Can't wait for tomorrow's workout :)
  • Redoing week 1 starting today. I am not feeling comfortable yet at all with the 60 second run intervals. I may be on week one 'forever actually. LOL. Will change over to a treadmill today since it's becoming winter like weather.
  • zozilla09
    zozilla09 Posts: 45 Member
    I started on Sat so my next time is as soon as I get home from work today. I do have a question though...I am using a treadmill and not sure what speeds to set it on. I feel like after reading other people's info that maybe my "run" isn't really a "run" but more of a jog at only a bit faster than my walk. Am I goofing up? Anyone have recommended speeds to set my treadmill on for each part? I could really use help. I can't for the life of me get my ipod to download a podcast from Chubby Jones...not sure if she recommends speeds on her podcasts or not. Anyway, looking for guidance! Please help! :flowerforyou:
  • I just finished week 1 yesterday, and will be starting week 2 tomorrow! :) I go down to the local high school track and take my dog with me so she can run. I may switch over to the treadmill here at work though if the weather gets too cold for me to want to go out in it. But I love being able to take my dog, and she loves it also!

I've been running pretty fast (for me, anyway) - as the running times get longer I may have to slow down a bit. My shins have been bothering me with all the impact exercising I've been doing. I also do Jazzercise several times a week. I started Ripped in 30 last week as well. So, I'm still trying to find the best balance in order to not injure myself and be able to keep going!
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    I did a "test run" last on of Week 1 Day 1 and if I could handle it, I was going to get started 100% with C25K this week. And to keep to my promise, I just officially started today on the treadmill! :)

Week 1 Day 1:
    Walk- 3.0
    Run- 5.2
    Distance: 1.95 miles