Lab results

Options
CRody44
CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
I have been working towards healthy eating since February, and went Paleo/Primal a little over a month ago. I went in November 17th and had my Lipid Panel and A1C done. Here are the results, compared to my earlier tests this year:

A1C: Acceptable Range 4.6-6.0; Last 6.7; Now 6.1, down .6
Glucose Fasting: Acceptable 60-99; Last 174; Now 108, down 66
Estimated Average Glucose: Acceptable 85-126; Last 146; Now 128, down 18
Total Cholesterol: Acceptable <200; Last 163; Now 154, down 9
HDL: Acceptable >40, Last 38; Now 48, up 10
LDL: Acceptable <100; Last 70; Now 86, up 16
Triglycerides: Acceptable <150; Last 275; now 101, down 174

Based on the results of my A1C of 6.1 and Fasting Glucose of 108, they take me out of the diabetic range and into the pre-diabetes range (A1C of 5.7-6.4) (FG of100-128) if there is such a thing as returning to pre diabetes after you have had it already, but the issue is the numbers, not what you call it.

According to this, I no longer have Metabolic Syndrome:

Metabolic Syndrome – Having three or more markers:
Elevated fasting blood glucose: 100 mg/dl or greater; mine 108 – that’s one
Blood pressure:130/85 mm Hg or greater; my last 120/68
Waistline measurement: > 40 inches- mine: 42 – that’s two
HDL: < 40 mg/dl; mine 48
Triglycerides: 150 mg/dl or greater; mine 101

I am very pleased with my progress returning back to health by living Primal, although I still have some work to do to get the numbers lower.

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Man, that's a really great progress report! Keep at it - the more you avoid grains and sugars, the better it will get. Since you are fairly new to the primal/paleo crowd, look up Diet Evolution - it is generally in the primal/paleo camp, but if followed faithfully, you'll really see those numbers drop.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Yay! That is great news. Since you are now "prediabetic" does this allow you to discontinue the meds or at least decrease? I remember that was what you were hoping for. Even if not now, you are close!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Way to go, that is great news!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Monkey,
    I read a little about the Diet Evolution on the i-net. Looks interesting. I’ll research a little more and then maybe send you a PM with some questions.

jamk,
    I emailed my doctor that, because of my Lipid results, I took myself off the statins. I had been having real sleep issues, waking up 2 to 4 hours after I went to bed, without being able to get back to sleep. I was also having problems with recalling things. My wife asked where I went the other day and I couldn’t remember where I went. That was one of the worse episodes. There were a lot of minor things, forgetting a word as I was talking to her, things like that. I was also having muscle pain, which, until I read about it, thought it was exercising. After stopping the statins, I have slept 7 or 8 hours every night, have less muscle pain, and, I think, the memory issues aren’t as bad. Because these are quality of life issues, that is a battle that I took on first. As soon as all of my blood glucose levels are within accepted limits, I’ll hit him with the diabetes meds.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I emailed my doctor that, because of my Lipid results, I took myself off the statins. I had been having real sleep issues, waking up 2 to 4 hours after I went to bed, without being able to get back to sleep. I was also having problems with recalling things. My wife asked where I went the other day and I couldn’t remember where I went. That was one of the worse episodes. There were a lot of minor things, forgetting a word as I was talking to her, things like that. I was also having muscle pain, which, until I read about it, thought it was exercising. After stopping the statins, I have slept 7 or 8 hours every night, have less muscle pain, and, I think, the memory issues aren’t as bad. Because these are quality of life issues, that is a battle that I took on first. As soon as all of my blood glucose levels are within accepted limits, I’ll hit him with the diabetes meds.

Always know when to pick your battles! I am so happy for you that you progressed to the point to stop the statin and that you've seen such a dramatic improvement from it.
  • CourtneyA1
    CourtneyA1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Those are fantastic improvements on your numbers. I used to sell diabetes medication, and I can tell you that the .6 drop is the equivalent drop you get from pretty much and of the single agent medicines.....so that is such great news that you did it with diet!!!

CONGRATS!

PS. less than 5% of people that try the "diet & exercise" advice from the doctor actually succeed.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I have been working towards healthy eating since February, and went Paleo/Primal a little over a month ago. I went in November 17th and had my Lipid Panel and A1C done. Here are the results, compared to my earlier tests this year:

A1C: Acceptable Range 4.6-6.0; Last 6.7; Now 6.1, down .6
    Glucose Fasting: Acceptable 60-99; Last 174; Now 108, down 66
    Estimated Average Glucose: Acceptable 85-126; Last 146; Now 128, down 18
    Total Cholesterol: Acceptable <200; Last 163; Now 154, down 9
    HDL: Acceptable >40, Last 38; Now 48, up 10
    LDL: Acceptable <100; Last 70; Now 86, up 16
    Triglycerides: Acceptable <150; Last 275; now 101, down 174

Based on the results of my A1C of 6.1 and Fasting Glucose of 108, they take me out of the diabetic range and into the pre-diabetes range (A1C of 5.7-6.4) (FG of100-128) if there is such a thing as returning to pre diabetes after you have had it already, but the issue is the numbers, not what you call it.

According to this, I no longer have Metabolic Syndrome:

Metabolic Syndrome – Having three or more markers:
    Elevated fasting blood glucose: 100 mg/dl or greater; mine 108 – that’s one
    Blood pressure:130/85 mm Hg or greater; my last 120/68
    Waistline measurement: > 40 inches- mine: 42 – that’s two
    HDL: < 40 mg/dl; mine 48
    Triglycerides: 150 mg/dl or greater; mine 101

I am very pleased with my progress returning back to health by living Primal, although I still have some work to do to get the numbers lower.

Here is a great site regarding blood sugar. I don't have diabetes but have 2 family members with it. I would get your fasting blood glucose much, much lower. I keep mine in the 70-80s (90mg and above is enough to cause organ and beta cell damage. The doctors are still pushing outdated data).

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

read through it thoroughly! I got some glucose drinks from Target - 75g worth and will be doing my own glucose intolerance test tomorrow morning since I have yet to track the number of carbs I am eating with the BS number on my monitor.

I love experimenting!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Monkey,
    I read a little about the Diet Evolution on the i-net. Looks interesting. I’ll research a little more and then maybe send you a PM with some questions.

jamk,

Have you read Duane Graveline's books regarding the side effects of statins? The memory issues are Transient Global Amnesia. I just finished reading them. Wow.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, you are doing well on your journey to restore health and wellness. The weight loss is a GREAT added benefit.

Keep up the work and before long you will no longer even be insulin resistant, your body will heal and everything will work as it is supposed to.
  • weaverfit
    weaverfit Posts: 124
    Options
    Congrats. Always nice to see some hard data.
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am glad to hear of your success. I don't understand why doctors don't recomend a similar diet more often. If a drug had the same effect - - it would be bigger than statins.