Hello :)

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Hello my name is Ellie, welcome to the group everyone :) feel free to introduce yourselves if you would like!

I am 19 years old and I have severe clinical depression, had it for 8 years.
I also have had anxiety and PTSD issues in the past which I'm dealing with.
I see/hear/feel things - not sure whether they are angels, demons or hallucinations.

Replies

• Crimson_
    Options
    Hi I'm Gary and im just messed up and been that way for as long as i can remember

i was diagnosed bi-polar/manic depressive back in 1976 while in the U.S. Army, needless to say they no long want you caring guns after that...

im not normal i say weird things but im truly a good person willing to help anyone, it may not seem like orthodox help and may not even seem like help at the time, but it seems to work out in the end.

and this is the first time i have actauly told anyone about my diagnosis due to fear of being a victim of the stereotypes, and prejudice against individuals with a diagnosis of bipolar disorder
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Charlotte, I live with depression, anxiety and paranoia. I am not currently taking any medication for my problems as I feel I have a good handle on things, and I am not currently experiencing a depressive episode. However, that doesn't mean that I don't need support from time to time.
  • kellyn1604
    kellyn1604 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My name is Kellie. I have depression. I was taking medication but ran out and just haven't made another appointment. I think I am doing pretty good without right now. I started having depression about 2 years ago when I finally admitted to myself that my son was not developing typically. It took another year to get him the appointment necessary to diagnose him with autism (we had to make the appointment 7 months in advance). I know I didn't cause his autism but I still have an overwhelming sense of guilt that I am not doing enough to help him progress. I always feel like I should be doing more but I am far from a Stepford mom. It gets to the point where I can barely get out of bed I get so overwhelmed. My husband doesn't get it at all. He thinks I should just be able to put on a happy face, pop a little pill, and *bing* all better. He has no idea that depression affects you mentally, emotionally, and physically.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    My name is Heather. I have depression, social anxiety, mood swings (not quite bipolar, but some days are pretty close), and ADD. I'm on medication for the anxiety/depression (the pill works for both) and my birth control medication controls my moods for the most part. The ADD, well, I just do my best to focus more.
  • Lary_babe
    Lary_babe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I have depression... didn't know it for many years, until I was suicidal. I'm taking biputrion now, and seem to be back on track but being chubby doesn't help! I'm on here to lose weight and be more active, which will help me see the world and my self better!
  • sourstraws
    Options
    hey there - I suffer from anxiety and depression..... I get so angry/frustrated with life being out of my control at times all i want to do is eat eat eat..... AHHHHH i get in a mood where i'm like "screw it" I WANT TO EAT.... and drink.... so calories calories then i totally hate myself for CONSUMING so much... and being a fat pig.... your fat roll and your boobs should not be equal....
  • getfitjenn
    Options
    Hi. I am Jenn. I suffer from depression and anxiety. I had a recent injury and have been eating for comfort way too much. I've gained 15 pounds in 3 months. This is more than I have ever gained outside of pregnancy. I may go see my doctor to see if there are other factors. I feel so fat and bloated all the time, even first thing in the morning. It just makes me want to eat to squash the pain of how I'm feeling, but I know that is not the answer. Looking forward to supporting one another.
  • sourstraws
    Options
    Jenn - I totally know exactly how you feel. I hate "rolling" out of bed in the morning. I feel like I should eat all the food in the fridge - and then once it is all gone "then i can start" -- My husband threw me a big birthday party on 11NOV - and we had a LOT of beer / drinks left over -- i keep thinking I'll start dieting once I finish off all the beer, ice cream, frozen drinks -- etc... otherwise it would go to waste -- problem is it's going to "waist" already. Even today at work - I just want to go home... sit down and eat... just eat.. and I'm tryining hard not to talk myself out of going to Zumba tonight...
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    Options
    Hi! Your all so brave for talking about your issues :)
    I'm 18. Ilive at home with my parents and sisters. Am hoping to start a Pychiatric nursing diploma at uni soon.
    I have hallucinations both auditory and visual. I've self harmed to try and cope with that. Ever since my Nanna (grandmother) died i've had depression and if someone would actually give me the test, i would probably be diagnosed with Aspergers.
  • WT_225_lb
    Options
    Hi, My name is Steven, i have been living with Depression for 16 years. 1 year ago, i was on the edge of killing myself. I wanted to be the best at every thing i did... work, family, health.

I was able to get in to a good program for 1 month and was back to work. 3 months later i was back in the same place. I did not want to go to treatment, but i did.

I found out i have MDD, Bi-polar, Generalized anxiety, PTSD. I started this year at 389 lb. I have been dropping the weight slowly, but it may be to fast.

I am tracking my weight here. I want to drop the pounds, but in the right way.

Steven:ohwell:
  • MistressFox
    MistressFox Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm Molly and i'm 21. I'm Diagnosed Rapid cycling Bi-polar (Diagnosed at 14) and Borderline Personality Dissorder(Diagnosed at 18). I suffered from a very long affair with Bulimia nervosa and self harm.

Up untill recently i was medicated for all of these things and a couple of minor side dish issues (anxiety, paranoia etc) but am now free of almost all my medication- I felt taking 15 pills a day at 21 was not the right way to be- So here i am, I only have Lorazapam and i'm doing okay!

But since i've stoped purging and taking meds that made me not eat- i've put on some weight. I'm going to do this the healthy way and prove to myself that i can be healthy and happy.

:)
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder. Up and down. Up and down. Sometimes within hours, or days. Mine tends more to the depressive side. I've actually been hospitalized twice. (Not proud of that, but putting it out there.) I also have social anxiety and SAD. I'm on Lamictal as a mood stabilizer, Wellbutrin as an antidepressant, and Klonopin for anti-anxiety. I was on Adderall to help with some of the lack of concentration and motivation I've been dealing with until they took it off the market. A lot of my eating has been emotional eating when I'm stressed, which is far too often. I want to fix that. I also gained 80 lbs. in one month when a psychiatrist put me on Abilify. It took me a year to take that weight off. I now insist on weight neutral drugs. But since I took that 80 lbs. off, I think I can do even more with the support of a place like MFP and its members!
  • hm_day
    Options
    Hi there. I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder. Up and down. Up and down. Sometimes within hours, or days. Mine tends more to the depressive side. I've actually been hospitalized twice. (Not proud of that, but putting it out there.) I also have social anxiety and SAD. I'm on Lamictal as a mood stabilizer, Wellbutrin as an antidepressant, and Klonopin for anti-anxiety. I was on Adderall to help with some of the lack of concentration and motivation I've been dealing with until they took it off the market. A lot of my eating has been emotional eating when I'm stressed, which is far too often. I want to fix that. I also gained 80 lbs. in one month when a psychiatrist put me on Abilify. It took me a year to take that weight off. I now insist on weight neutral drugs. But since I took that 80 lbs. off, I think I can do even more with the support of a place like MFP and its members!

80lbs in one month?! That's insane! Well, if you need to talk to someone with social anxiety and depression, feel free to message me :)
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Terri. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I've been dealing with it for about 5 years now. I've been on and off antidepressants over that time. I'm off now, but not sure if it's a good thing. I really want to be able to feel my true feelings without medication. Problem is, what I'm usually feeling is pretty crappy. I have moments of happiness and laughter, but then the heaviness hits hard again with just a few minutes. I put on a happy face and try not to let anyone see. Why should I ruin all of their days just because I feel so miserable. I'm not a whiner. I'd rather just keep things inside and let everyone assume I'm fine. After all, most people don't really care to hear it anyway. They either get bored with it or think you are just looking for attention. I have felt suicidal from time to time. My father killed himself when I was 13, so I know the devastation that causes. Still, there are times when I feel like such a failure and so useless that I can't help but wonder if everyone I love wouldn't be better off without me.
    Being depressed makes it almost impossible to have the energy to work out. I feel like it takes all the energy I have just to get out of bed and try to act normal all day, every day.
    How do you do it? How do you find a way to make yourself work out? Food isn't much of a problem, I only stress eat once in a blue moon. I smoke, and I've been known to drink a bit more than I should. Nothing quite as attractive as an old, out of shape depressed drunk, lol.
    So I am hoping to find others who struggle like I do and can help me get my saggy old butt moving again.
  • hm_day
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm Terri. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I've been dealing with it for about 5 years now. I've been on and off antidepressants over that time. I'm off now, but not sure if it's a good thing. I really want to be able to feel my true feelings without medication. Problem is, what I'm usually feeling is pretty crappy. I have moments of happiness and laughter, but then the heaviness hits hard again with just a few minutes. I put on a happy face and try not to let anyone see. Why should I ruin all of their days just because I feel so miserable. I'm not a whiner. I'd rather just keep things inside and let everyone assume I'm fine. After all, most people don't really care to hear it anyway. They either get bored with it or think you are just looking for attention. I have felt suicidal from time to time. My father killed himself when I was 13, so I know the devastation that causes. Still, there are times when I feel like such a failure and so useless that I can't help but wonder if everyone I love wouldn't be better off without me.
    Being depressed makes it almost impossible to have the energy to work out. I feel like it takes all the energy I have just to get out of bed and try to act normal all day, every day.
    How do you do it? How do you find a way to make yourself work out? Food isn't much of a problem, I only stress eat once in a blue moon. I smoke, and I've been known to drink a bit more than I should. Nothing quite as attractive as an old, out of shape depressed drunk, lol.
    So I am hoping to find others who struggle like I do and can help me get my saggy old butt moving again.

Hello Terri! You've come to the right place. I suffer with depression and anxiety as well and am medicated for the anxiety. I'm only medicated for the depression when I'm having trouble sleeping but I don't like the way the meds make me feel so I try not to stay on them. However, the anxiety meds are almost a necessity to get me through my day.

I know how you feel about not wanting to burden others with how you feel. I'm the same way. I suffered through a MAJOR depression in middle school, but didn't want to deal with "Oh, she's just a kid, she'll grow out of it" on one side of the spectrum, and the "OMG We need to get her help NOW" on the other end. I eventually got out of it just because I got sick of feeling like I did. I didn't grow out of it, I just adapted.

Feel free to add me, Terri :)
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    Hello. New here as well. My name is Jenn, I'm 27 and a mess. PTSD (I am a sexual abuse survivor), depression, anxiety... you get the idea. Mental ilness runs in my family and it scares the hell out me that I could be heading down that same road that my mom and my brothers are on.

Both of my brothers are schizophrenic and my mom is bi-polar with some sort of disassociative disorder. All of them are on disability benefits due to their illnesses. I have been told by my doctor that I am WAY too hard on myself and I need to understand that my accomplishments in life are direct proof that I will not end up like them. I was the only one to graduate high school (sad, I know), graduate collge, hold down a job, and just generally function and contribute to society. I get all that, I really do, but my inner critic (which is quite cruel and OVERLY critical) will always find something wrong with my success and negate it. Which then leads to me beating myself up over things,depression, etc... it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I am trying so hard to balance my mental health and physical health. It seems at times that I can only have one or the other. I am either fat and happy or skinny and depressed/moody etc.

So glad I finally joined this group. Hope to get some coping strategies and whatnot from you folks!
  • hm_day
    Options
    Hello. New here as well. My name is Jenn, I'm 27 and a mess. PTSD (I am a sexual abuse survivor), depression, anxiety... you get the idea. Mental ilness runs in my family and it scares the hell out me that I could be heading down that same road that my mom and my brothers are on.

Both of my brothers are schizophrenic and my mom is bi-polar with some sort of disassociative disorder. All of them are on disability benefits due to their illnesses. I have been told by my doctor that I am WAY too hard on myself and I need to understand that my accomplishments in life are direct proof that I will not end up like them. I was the only one to graduate high school (sad, I know), graduate collge, hold down a job, and just generally function and contribute to society. I get all that, I really do, but my inner critic (which is quite cruel and OVERLY critical) will always find something wrong with my success and negate it. Which then leads to me beating myself up over things,depression, etc... it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I am trying so hard to balance my mental health and physical health. It seems at times that I can only have one or the other. I am either fat and happy or skinny and depressed/moody etc.

So glad I finally joined this group. Hope to get some coping strategies and whatnot from you folks!

Jenn, feel free to add me!
    Exercise and eating right contributes much to your mental and psychological well being as well as your physical being. Being able to burn off any steam has helped me so much with my anxiety and depression and most of all, my overall frustrations and stress. You'll probably find that it will help, especially with PTSD :)
    Good luck!
  • jenharrio
    jenharrio Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer, I'm 33 years old (duh, my profile says that heeheee) ;D. I just joined this group today, but have been an MFP member since April 2011. I joined the military soon after graduating high school (I must admit I was in the best shape of my life). It all kinda went downhill after I got out. I finally sought help after almost 4 years of what I thought was PTSD from deploying to Iraq. I was diagnosed by the V.A. with anxiety and depression. But this soldier has marched on. I recently finished my B.A. in Theater Arts with a minor in business. My depression has come back since graduating college and being unemployed. I'm hoping 2012 will be a good year for me and to get back into the shape (both physically, mentally, & spiritually) I was in a few years back. . It's nice to meet everyone and feel free to add me :)
  • Gshepmix83
    Gshepmix83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Tina :)

I was diagnosed with bi-polar/depression in 2004 (around the time when my dad passed away). Everyday is a struggle to go on with my life. I have been on all different meds for my illness but all have failed. Its like one week it'll work but the next week it stops working. You have no idea how many times I've told so many doctors that they stop working and they tell me its working and I have to stay on them. Right now I am no longer on medication for my illness. It was my choice because I am sick and tired of pumping pills in my body that wont work in the long run. I believe exercising is my medication. It makes me feel good. Also they say walking is the best medicine for someone that has depression and I do believe it.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Tina :)

I was diagnosed with bi-polar/depression in 2004 (around the time when my dad passed away). Everyday is a struggle to go on with my life. I have been on all different meds for my illness but all have failed. Its like one week it'll work but the next week it stops working. You have no idea how many times I've told so many doctors that they stop working and they tell me its working and I have to stay on them. Right now I am no longer on medication for my illness. It was my choice because I am sick and tired of pumping pills in my body that wont work in the long run. I believe exercising is my medication. It makes me feel good. Also they say walking is the best medicine for someone that has depression and I do believe it.

You sound exactly like me!
    After I found exercise I told pills to eff right off! And am actually happy, whereas pills just made me numb

Everyone, feel free to add me! :)