Will you stay on the Primal/Paleo wagon on Thanksgiving?

Options
kcalla
kcalla Posts: 49 Member
I'm going back and forth. We are going out to an AMAZING buffet. Would be very easy to eat lots of protein and veggies, shrimp, etc. etc. But then... I may end up at the table with a plate of this.
Food032.jpg
I'm an 80/20 type gal... on maintenance. Did I mention there will be 30 ft. long table of bite size SUGARY desserts?
So what are you all thinking? Feel free to tell me to buck up and get a grip! :laugh:

Replies

• scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    My family isn't so serious about Thanksgiving, so maybe it's a bit different for me, but I won't be making any exceptions to my normal eating. I've been doing Primal for a few months now and occasionally I've given in and had a non-Primal/Paleo approved treat and it just has never been worth it. I always thought I had a bad digestive system, suffered from terrible stomach pains/bloating/cramping/stomach ulcers, etc until I switched to Paleo/Primal and then it basically completely disappeared. Any time I've "cheated" I have been so miserable for the next day or two with all sorts of stomach related ailments. So, definitely no non-Primal Thanksgiving for me. It's never worth the food hangover the next day.

On another note, I'm not sure I understand the idea of sentimental or emotional attachments to certain foods, seems a bit unhealthy to me. I don't know why we "have" to eat lots of mashed potatoes or stuffing or pies, etc. There are plenty of other awesome alternatives that you can eat instead.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    We are having a Diestel 14 lb., organic, free range, no stimulants or hormones, humanely raised turkey (except for the final process) and green beans. We will be making the normal sides for the guests, bread based dressing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin and pecan pie. Don’t think I can resist a slice of Pecan Pie. I saw a recipe for a Paleo/Primal dressing that you didn’t have to make any primal bread for, that had dates and raisens in it, but for the life of me, I can’t find it. I looked in my Paleo cookbooks and on line, but – nada.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Being as I have celiac disease and have to eat gluten, dairy ( other than raw ), soy, corn syrup, legume free and extremely low grain or be very very sick.. umm no I won't be going off plan.. it's easy to say no when a small indulgence would cause me to doubled over in pain for days.BUT I am doing all the cooking and there will be some pumpkin dessert and yummy things like, smashed cauliflower, grain-less stuffing, bacon wrapped cabbage - I will be feasting however it will all be primal/paleo friendly .
  • demuralist
    demuralist Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will cook a normal meal and basically eat primally from what is there. I may go ahead and make myself a pumpkin custard, so I can have a treat. Since I am cooking it is not as enticing to me as if I were out or at someone's house. Since I could make everything I am making anytime I want it, I don't usually have a problem letting it go.

I always shoot for 100%, but don't stress occasions where I am not. That allows an occasional foray into the non-primal without throwing a wrench in my weight loss progress. I hope that when I get to maintenance, I will have reached a point where I can taste things and then not feel the need to finish everything on the dessert table.

This is your life, if you are on maintenance, you should probably allow yourself the leeway to enjoy the buffet within reason so that you don't feel deprived. I don't think a weight problem occurs from a rare release of the rules.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing a potluck-type deal with some of his coworkers (his whole company moved to San Francisco together, so we're all in the same boat as far as being far from family). We're ordering turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy from a local restaurant and then supplementing the rest.

I aim for 90/10 because I am trying to heal some inflammatory issues with my skin and also balance my hormones. So, although I don't notice immediate problems with things like dairy and gluten, I have seen improvements in my skin from avoiding them and I am concerned about what they might be silently doing to my endocrine system (really need to get a full work-up done soon if things persist so I will know just how strict I need to be). Anyway, I'm going to be bringing a grain- and dairy-free apple crisp and brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon. I figure with some turkey and potatoes, I will probably be fine. I'm sure the potatoes won't be dairy free, but small amounts of dairy don't seem to bother my skin too much.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have no plan to deviate from Primal eating on Thanksgiving. I'll have turkey, veggies, half a sweet potato, and I'm thinking about dipping some strawberries in dark chocolate if I really want dessert. My emotional attachment to Thanksgiving is to the people around the table, not to stuffing or pies.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I really do love my mom's cornbread stuffing! At my mother' in law's it will be hard to eat the turkey because she will buy a cheap one. My mom is getting a free range, organic turkey but we eat there second. So I guess no, I am not staying paleo for thanksgiving! I am going to try to bring lots of healthy side dishes to my mother in laws like root vegetables and a high protein appetizer.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Looking over our typical Xgiving meal, about 50% would fit primal guidelines. Of the other 50%, we are either 'primalizing' them (if it's doable) or just cutting them out if not (no way to make creamed corn on a primal diet). The same goes for dessert. We've always had pumpkin and pecan pies - we'll be trying out a paleo pecan pie recipe and probably skip the pumpkin (it was the least popular of the two anyway).

So the upshot is: we won't be breaking regimen. If the kids eat here - they eat our way. The pie may have more sugar than we want (allowable on primal/paleo - not on Diet Evolution) but I'll only have the smallest of pieces - and the kids will gobble up the rest.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have no plan to deviate from Primal eating on Thanksgiving. I'll have turkey, veggies, half a sweet potato, and I'm thinking about dipping some strawberries in dark chocolate if I really want dessert. My emotional attachment to Thanksgiving is to the people around the table, not to stuffing or pies.

:)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I seem to be holding onto the side of the Primal/Paleo wagon - fighting to keep from falling off. So I will do my best to stick with it.

I am bringing my own real butter, coconut oil and sweet potato and I'm making a dessert to take (which is Primal/Paleo) and I will eat that. That's it. I will make sure I eat protein and fat first and depending on the veggies there we'll see.
  • yummummum
    Options
    I will stick to my plan. I have 2 Days worth of Thanksgiving dinners to go to!

Sis in law got a turkey from a local farm.. so will have LOTS of it and whatever veggies are ok for me. I know she does marshmellows on her sweet pots so i may just get underneath those and have a little as my big splurge.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I going with my vegan wife to a turkey free thanksgiving dinner. Oh well.
  • kcalla
    Options
    I ATE!
    Appetizers
    Shrimp
    deviled egg
    spinach salad
    smoked salmon
    artichoke/onion/caper mixture

Main meal
    turkey
    pork roast
    prime rib
    big serving of carrot, broccoli, cauliflower medley
    1 dollop of mashed potatoes (sweet potatoes were full of sugar and marshmallows)
    NO STUFFING!!! :bigsmile:

But then I caved....
    Dessert
    2 teeny bites of fudge
    1 sample of key lime pie
    spiced nuts
    coffee

But...today i was still at goal weight! I think that's the first Thanksgiving EVER!! :laugh:
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I gave myself permission for a two day food vacation ; ). We spent those two days with my brother and sister in law and I planned to just enjoy and compromise. Knowing I've been good with my food and weightloss they were sweet enough to buy a veggie platter for pre dinner snacking. I don't like stuffing/dressing anyway so that is never a tempation. I brought my own pastured butter but did have one of my SIL's homemade crescent rolls each day and a piece of her homemade pumpkin pie. My brother bought real whipping cream rather than cool whip. They made sweet potatoes rather than white and I tried those for the first time in decades and decided I liked them. I ate plenty of turkey. My indulgences were the pie, the rolls, some cranberry sauce and some fried, breaded appetizers on Friday. Overall it was a great couple of days and I feel like I had some balance between healthy and indulgent and so far the scale is still my friend. Today (Saturday) I ate super low carb, just protein and fat and plan to do the same tomorrow to clean things up and get back on track!
  • kcalla
    Options
    Good Job JelleRose!! Now back to super good eating and I will probably indulge again on Christmas! :smile:

Have a Happy Jolly Christmas!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I survived Thanksgiving and lost one pound, but didn’t do as well the next few days. After the third day of turkey leftovers, I made the comment “If we never have turkey again, I’d be OK”. My wife agreed. Neither one of us really cares for turkey, but we have been cooking one for the holidays out of tradition and because we thought the other one wanted it. We agreed that, from now on, Prime Rib for Christmas and Thanksgiving! YUM, red meat!!!!