"Breeders"

Options
Qarol
Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
This term can be offensive. I know some really great parents out there. But I'm guilty of using this term when talking to my husband.

I'm also not a very PC person, and I make no apologies. I call people retarded, not to their face. I call people breeders, not to their face.

What do y'all think of the term? It's a common term in many CFBC circles.

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Gays actually refer to straights as breeders. My friends call me a breeder all the time, even though I have no kids. The one that I think its a little offensive that I hear often is "incubator".
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I cringe at the word "breeders," only because it is usually said with a negative connotation. I don't think I have ever heard someone use the word without being overtly negative and many times it is used by the militant child-free people. You know, the ones that loathe all children, sneer at anyone who has a kid, constantly talk about their vastly superior choice to not have children, and generally give the rest of us child free people a bad name.

I don't take issue with the word, I take issue with the context.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about context. I have used the term to refer to my friends who have children, but have also used it in a derogatory sense to refer to those who do NOT need to be pro-creating.

And yes, have definitely heard it used by my gay friends to refer to straight people, regardless of whether or not they have children.

So again I say, it's all about the context in which it is used as to whether it is offensive, IMO.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use it in my rants to my husband. I also use "moo" and "crotch dropping". Although most of the time, these are directed at the girls here who are auditioning for MTV's next hit show "14 and already have 1 kid and pregnant again"
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think it's all about context. I have used the term to refer to my friends who have children, but have also used it in a derogatory sense to refer to those who do NOT need to be pro-creating.

And yes, have definitely heard it used by my gay friends to refer to straight people, regardless of whether or not they have children.

So again I say, it's all about the context in which it is used as to whether it is offensive, IMO.

this.

to me, it's like "b!tch", it depends entirely on context.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

this.

to me, it's like "b!tch", it depends entirely on context.
    :flowerforyou: I heart you maab.

I embrace the bitch label, as long as it doesn't come from the husband.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely used the term 'breeder'. I will echo the sentiment 'no problem with the word, it's all about the context'.

Certain things should be said with discretion. Would I use the term 'breeder' amongst a group of coworkers who have kids? Nope. I wouldn't have a problem with using it amongst like-minded people or in a private conversation, however.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I don't use the term "breeders" to cover any and everyone with kids. For me, breeders are the Duggars, the Quiverfulls, the coworker of mine who is 20 and pregnant with her 4th child.

One or two kids is totally different from 5+. If you want a little snot machine, whatever I don't really care. But if you have enough kids for your own basketball team, then you're a breeder.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of saying this. I probably shouldn't have, because it definately is offensive in the way I have used it!

This was behind people's backs, if that makes it any better (probably not).
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've actually never used it. But I might start now:)
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've actually never used it. But I might start now:)

Seems like a plan:happy:
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options

Totally agree.