The biggest reason your self control suffers

Options
jonzo21
jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
I work in the food industry and that's probably my biggest problem. Finding another job isn't much of an option since I'm now a manager and wouldn't be making as much starting at a new place. Also I have certain mindsets when it comes to wasting food and or money. Basically I convince myself its okay to eat things I shouldn't.... here's where I suffer the most:

*The nights where I'm the closing manager. All that food is at our disposal, we can make pretty much anything we want. So many delicious ideas, its hard to resist.

*When we have leftover food that was a mistake or forgotten in someones order. I was always taught growing up not to waste food, so seeing the food about to be thrown away makes me convince myself that I want to eat it.

*When coworkers bring in foods or snacks to work to share with everybody. I'll usually tell myself its okay to have a couple bites and that's it, but then I'll be offered more as there is so much left, that its hard to say no.

*When I'm going out to eat. If I'm paying, I cant justify not eating my entire meal because I spent money on it, and i really don't dig leftovers so saving half the meal for tomorrow doesn't fly. If I'm at a buffet its even worse, because I'm not paying to go to a buffet to just have 1 plate if its all you can eat!

*When going out to eat when someone else is paying. I have the mindset of "take advantage of the food and eat it because someone else is paying for it!" (This doesn't mean I order the most expensive meal or unhealthiest, it just means I cant justify wasting the food someone else paid for me to eat, especially since it was free for me and there are starving people all around the world.

What about you guys?

Replies

• yvonmac
    yvonmac Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I cave in. If I see food (sugary things are my downfall) I taste it and then I have the taste in my mouth and so I eat more later or something. If I can convince myself to never eat it, then I can stay strong. That is rare.
  • bookdame
    Options
    If I am bored at work and have hours ahead... I tend to take a "break" and snack.

At night at home I tend to eat when I am bored.

When someone offers me something, it feels rude and uncomfortable to say no!

If someone chooses an unhealthy restaurant, I have a hard time just eating a salad,... I mean we only live once, why can't I have the lasagna!
  • techteachergirl
    techteachergirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just love food. I can be stuffed but if something is good I just keep eating. I eat way too fast and my brain doesnt recognize it is full until i have way over done it. I also eat when i get bored or stressed.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    I cave in. If I see food (sugary things are my downfall) I taste it and then I have the taste in my mouth and so I eat more later or something. If I can convince myself to never eat it, then I can stay strong. That is rare.

I have this problem also. It seems pretty straightforward to come up with a challenge here. Start a bit small, maybe your challenge can be to control how much of that sugary food you are eating, and then work your way up to not eating it at all or maybe just a bite. By then hopefully you would have built enough self control to just say no to it!
    If I am bored at work and have hours ahead... I tend to take a "break" and snack.

At night at home I tend to eat when I am bored.

When someone offers me something, it feels rude and uncomfortable to say no!

If someone chooses an unhealthy restaurant, I have a hard time just eating a salad,... I mean we only live once, why can't I have the lasagna!

It seems like your boredom needs to be tackled. Snacking isn't too bad if you're eating healthy snacks and in moderation. Have a challenge for one day to only snack on fruits/veggies or 100 calories snacks or something. Or a challenge to do some activity when you feel like snacking when you're at home. Maybe go for a walk or do some activity to keep your mind off it. I also have the same problem at restaurants. I don't go to restaurants to order a 10 dollar salad that I can make at home for cheaper and with less calories. Maybe next time challenge yourself to only eat half the plate (and eat it slowly, that way your company can finish at the same time you do so you don't feel tempted to just finish the whole plate) then take the other half home and bring it for lunch to work the next day!
    just love food. I can be stuffed but if something is good I just keep eating. I eat way too fast and my brain doesn't recognize it is full until i have way over done it. I also eat when i get bored or stressed.

you're right your brain isn't processing that you are full! I used to eat really fast and it would make me continue to eat and eat. I'm almost certain is the main reason I became overweight in the first place. You could set up a few challenges here. Make yourself slow down while you eat. A good trick is to make sure you take a drink of water between every bite. Chew slowly, savor the flavor! Count to 10 seconds before you take the next bite after your sip of water. Maybe this will help you slow it down and let your brain catch up to your stomach.

make a challenge to only have healthy snacks... fruits/veggies/100 calorie bars etc... have your snack if you need it, if you realize you just want to snack because of boredom or stress, force your mind elsewhere. Like I suggested to the others, the boredom can simply be cured by going for a walk or doing some activity to keep your mind off it. Go with a friend for company and support! If you're stressed out, that could be tricky depending on the situation, but I'm sure you can come up with some kind of challenge to help you in certain circumstances.

Don't forget to reward yourselves for success... positive reinforcement works well. Try not to reward yourselves with things that make your self control suffer... for instance if my goals were to not eat fast food or certain other foods, why should i reward myself with those foods? You can reward yourself with food still, My reward if I keep this up is to be able to have a piece of pie at thanksgiving! If I don't follow through with my challenges, no pie :(
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    For me, it's boredom/stress. Also, I'm an impulsive person so I feel like I have to have something to look forward to all the time, and I get that "instant gratification" when I eat sweets. Sweets is my downfall, that's mainly what I eat that I shouldn't that breaks me every time. In other words, I don't overeat baked chicken breast or anything like that, LOL.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    For me, it's boredom/stress. Also, I'm an impulsive person so I feel like I have to have something to look forward to all the time, and I get that "instant gratification" when I eat sweets. Sweets is my downfall, that's mainly what I eat that I shouldn't that breaks me every time. In other words, I don't overeat baked chicken breast or anything like that, LOL.

lol I can understand that. Maybe you could find some sweet alternative that is healthier and still stay in your range? I really like the snack wells cereal bars, the chocolate one tastes like a candy bar.. just make sure to only pack a few with you at a time so you don't eat the whole box at once lol!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If I am honest I don't think I deserve the end result of saying no to the temptation. What difference does it make if I have it, not having it wont make me better.

I am fortunate to be past the stage where I am paying for petrol and screaming in my head get me out before the sweets leave with me. But out of habit and not caring enough to say no I will pick it up or agree to bad food choices. I enjoy healthy eating and cooking and even crave healthy foods over naughty ones. I don't know why I do it to myself.

I need to stop and hope I can find the motivation to stop.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    If I am honest I don't think I deserve the end result of saying no to the temptation. What difference does it make if I have it, not having it wont make me better.

I am fortunate to be past the stage where I am paying for petrol and screaming in my head get me out before the sweets leave with me. But out of habit and not caring enough to say no I will pick it up or agree to bad food choices. I enjoy healthy eating and cooking and even crave healthy foods over naughty ones. I don't know why I do it to myself.

I need to stop and hope I can find the motivation to stop.

That seems like a tough mindset to overcome. If you feel there is no reason to say no to temptation, what's going to stop you? You need to find yourself a solid reason that will help you away from this mindset. After looking at your motivations and reasons why you want to get in shape, maybe your solid reason should be to prove to yourself that you CAN control the habit, and that not doing it WILL make you better because it shows that you control your decisions, not the food you're having a hard time resisting. You > Food! It's mind over matter. Maybe every time you're thinking something like "what's the point, I might as well eat that candy" look at the pictures of those people that inspire you, or look at yourself in the mirror and inspire yourself!
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love the taste of food!!

if i see somthing i want i think well there is always tomorrow i can eat healthy,

being a SAHM im free to eat everything and anything in the cupboards and calling me all day with all their treaty goodness. then if i have done everthing needing done in the house i get bored and start thinking about the food i could just eat and when partner gets home its worse because he eats snacks the whole time!! i hve put on 2 stone since moving in with him a year ago :noway: :embarassed: he used to always come home with a cake or somthing for me even today he came home with a huge bag of sweets for me and set them beside me! but i didnt eat them i usually would of :happy:

i NEED some self control
  • jonzo21
    Options
    i love the taste of food!!

if i see somthing i want i think well there is always tomorrow i can eat healthy,

being a SAHM im free to eat everything and anything in the cupboards and calling me all day with all their treaty goodness. then if i have done everthing needing done in the house i get bored and start thinking about the food i could just eat and when partner gets home its worse because he eats snacks the whole time!! i hve put on 2 stone since moving in with him a year ago :noway: :embarassed: he used to always come home with a cake or somthing for me even today he came home with a huge bag of sweets for me and set them beside me! but i didnt eat them i usually would of :happy:

i NEED some self control

There is always tomorrow, but it seems like thats the same story everyday, doesn't it? I fall into this all the time. I work in fast food, so somedays I'll be like "its okay to eat here tonight, tomorrow I won't and it will be okay." But then my self control caves in. So far I've found the challenges I've set up to help me with this. I challenge myself on the days I'm at work to bring my own lunch and to stick to that and not to eat anything there. Maybe you could challenge yourself to limit how many snacks you are allowed. Set a time frame for them also, like a few hours before lunch or after, that way you know it won't be long until your next meal. I also love the taste of food... and sometimes I think I just like to taste something in my mouth.. I found gum helps with that or an after dinner mint of some sort.
  • khc14
    khc14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure but I may be an emotional eater - I eat when I'm happy (to celebrate), I eat when I'm sad (to commiserate), I eat when I'm tired (all the chuffing time I work horrid shifts), I eat when I'm upset (wedding dress doesnt't fit as too fat so what do I do? Start on cake).... The reasons are ENDLESS!!

I also eat more if I lose a couple of pounds.... And if I don't.

My brain wants one thing but can't control my mouth/hands enough to allow my body to achieve what I want. Frustrating!!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hey khc14 I can relate to that. I had to redefine my relationship with food. Understanding more about what certain foods do for my body helped me make good choices. I try to take preventative measure like not allowing myself to get hungry and take control of blood sugar dips. This can eliminate some of the 'I want it now I must eat now!' moments! =)

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Next time it happens walk away and change your focus. Run a bath, have a bottle of diet pop instead to feed the craving, run out of the shop do what you can. Then tell yourself ten times what a good thing you did that this is you changing direction. When it happens again, be stronger for knowing you did it before and can again.

Focus on your thoughts too. I know what I am like. I will moan to myself 'of course your jeans don't fit and you bloody well know why now just eat the cake and stop moaning'.... don't be afraid to tell yourself to shut up and give yourself a break.