HRT yes or no

Options
januarygal
januarygal Posts: 336 Member
I have been investigating whether to consider HRT. I am tired of all the symptoms of Peri-menapause. working hard to work my butt off (literally), with very little result. Wanting to have my sex-drive back, memory back, and want to sleep through the night at once in awhile.
concerned about the side effects of HRT and trying to weigh out the pro's and con's
and yes I have tried the natural solutions and they have been no solution for me.

Replies

• shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For me....I feel better when I am taking them. The benefits far out weigh the risk. Quality of life is more important to me than longevity.
  • LegzyK
    LegzyK Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree....I can't possibly not take med's (Prempro) without losing my mind :noway:
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I have been investigating whether to consider HRT. I am tired of all the symptoms of Peri-menapause. working hard to work my butt off (literally), with very little result. Wanting to have my sex-drive back, memory back, and want to sleep through the night at once in awhile.
    concerned about the side effects of HRT and trying to weigh out the pro's and con's
    and yes I have tried the natural solutions and they have been no solution for me.

I take them but to be honest, they have not helped me keep my weight down/off, hence why I am here.
  • SusiB60
    SusiB60 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been using hrt for for about 6 years now and wouldn't be without it.

My doc prescribes me oestrogen gel and I buy progesterone cream online (it's not yet licensed in the UK so doc can't prescribe).

Recently I discussed this with my doc and he was concerned that I might not be getting enough progesterone to keep my uterus healthy so sent me for an ultrasound to check the state of my endometrium (the lining of the uterus).
    It seems it's perfectly healthy so I'll carry on taking the same hrt :0)

I find it makes my life manageable.
    I've had problems with shocking pmt most of my adult life that got 10 time worse once I got menopausal and being depressed/hysterical/hateful/paranoid etc etc became the norm rather than the exception.
    I went to see a consultant called Prof Studd, who started me on the oestrogen gel (and low dose testosterone gel, but I reacted badly to it).. He also fitted a merina coil at the time, which provides progesterone. I found it uncomfortable though and had it taken out - although I have several friends who get on fine with theirs.

Taking the hrt improved things by a mile for me and has made a massive difference to my quality of life.
    I don't think I could have kept up my job without it and my family life is much happier :0)
    I was already overweight when I started it and taking it made no difference to my weight either way.

I've not had a period since May this year, so hope that's all over now.
    I still get hormonal swings and some tom symtoms and aches and pains, but I'm guessing that will go away eventually.

Everybody has to weigh up their options based on their own situation and priorities.
    For me, it's been a life saver though.
    Hope that helps.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Since I expressed concerns to my OB about HRT because of my family's crazy bad cancer history, she suggested I try black cohosh for hot flashes, ginko biloba for memory loss, and melatonin for insomnia.

She warned me that these alternatives may or may not work, and may lose their effectiveness over time, but for the past 4 months I've been happy with the result.

I take the cohosh and ginko in the morning, and the melatonin at night.
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite 'yes' on the HRT. Been doing it for about 6 years and thankfully have no unpleasant symptoms (like the hot flashes and not sleeping thru the night). I take estradiol and a progesterone pill, prometrium.
  • greenhydrangea
    greenhydrangea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a "no" on HRT due to family history of cancer---so the risk for me outweighs the benefits. That said, I have muddled along fine without. I'm 57 and have been post menopausal for 10 years. My hot flashes are all but gone (exercise helps). I still have night sweats occasionally. All in all not so bad. But losing weight is hard. I seem to struggle over the same few pounds...
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm a "no" on HRT due to family history of cancer---so the risk for me outweighs the benefits. That said, I have muddled along fine without. I'm 57 and have been post menopausal for 10 years. My hot flashes are all but gone (exercise helps). I still have night sweats occasionally. All in all not so bad. But losing weight is hard. I seem to struggle over the same few pounds...
    You give me hope!!
  • pkotterman
    pkotterman Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am a yes on HRT-it has been a great help to me- but my doctor like to check and make sure I need to stay on every 6 months. I am slowly moving to lower doses- I have been using a patch and progesterin each night- TERRIBLE headaches and hotflashes without it- I couldn't sleep and was nearly non-functional. I think it just depends on your own body chemistry, the type of hormone, your family history and your doctors advice and willingness to be really well informed.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm not on HRT, but I do take an SSRI. It has helped with some of the hot flashes and feelings of anxiety that I was experiencing. Anyone else go this route?
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what an SSRI is. Could you explain that in a little more detail, please? If it provides relief without being a hormone then I might consider taking it. I'm not comfortable with the risks of HRT and so have been "gutting it out" up until now. But if there
    is something out there that helps without scary side effects it might be worth a try.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    An SSRI is an antidepressant. They have been a life saver with the anxiety.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what an SSRI is. Could you explain that in a little more detail, please? If it provides relief without being a hormone then I might consider taking it. I'm not comfortable with the risks of HRT and so have been "gutting it out" up until now. But if there
    is something out there that helps without scary side effects it might be worth a try.

An SSRI can be prescribed for anxiety or depression. I originally started taking it for mitral valve prolapse, too. I've found that it helps with some of my hot flashes because those tend to bring me feelings of anxiety at the same time. The one I take is Celexa.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No hrt for me. I had cervical cancer after taking the pill for 10 years, and my mom took hrt for 10 years and got cancer. She died within three months of diagnosis. So I have no desire to tempt fate again. I do take Promensil, over the counter, the main ingredient being red clover and find it makes a world of difference for me. I think everyone has to determine what the risks of hrt can be to them via family history etc.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    You might want to ask your gyne about taking Neurontin, its an antiseizure med, but has multiple other uses. There is a recent study done finding it did help women with menopausal symptoms.

http://www.webmd.com/menopause/gabapentin-for-hot-flashes

http://menopause.about.com/b/2008/04/04/cut-the-flashes-in-half-with-gabapentin.htm
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm no on HRT- family history of cancer, heart and stroke issues as well as being diabetic and having high blood pressure and high cholestrol myself. I got a prescription for antidepressant (SSRI) but was reluctant to take one more medication. I realized when my depression and hot flashes were really bad was when I forgot to take my vitamin B. So I started back on it, went on a low carb diet, increased my exercise and turned the fan on at night. It has really improved my symptoms alot- so far!!!!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I turned out to have osteoporosis when I my first DEXA scan at age 50. I didn't start gaining weight early enough, apparently. Drugs like Fosamax increase bone mass but decrease bone maintenance, so they're not a good long term option for treatment that might involve the next 40 years of my life

I really didn't mind my hot flashes -- I just dressed in layers and peeled them off without apology as soon as I felt one coming on. I found that if I cooled off quickly, the hot flashes didn't progress to the sweating phase. Or perhaps the fact that I got them so often kept each one from being that bad. Anyway, they were never enough of an issue to make me want a drug to stop them. Now I just get one when I first go to bed, which is nice because it warms up the covers, and one when I wake up, which is nice for getting out of bed on cold mornings.

I did find my ADHD had come back full blast at menopause. I realized it was puberty and not maturity that finally allowed me to relax my entire body at one time,and that ability had gone away again. I became physically jumpy. I couldn't sit in church pews with fidgety people, and my poor husband couldn't move a muscle in bed until I fell asleep, because the movement of the sheets jolted my nerves. And I was very inefficient at work due to distractability.

I ended up on Evista, which is a partial estrogen and partial estrogen blocker. It doesn't help hot flashes, but it does help strengthen bones. It reduces the risk of breast and uterine cancer instead of increasing it. (I have a very strong family history of breast cancer.) The package insert mentions increased risk of blood clots, but they may just be putting that warning on everything that's an estrogen; I have a bleeding tendency and started bleeding worse at menopause (things like bleeding and hour and a half from a paper cut) and that did not get any better on Evista. I don't know if taking it is what made my nerves calmer or whether that was just a phase that resolved itself, but that fortunately is mostly resolved. My hair did stop falling out so badly, so that's been a nice plus.
  • misstonico
    Options
    I take an SSRI and it has been a life saver! I hadn't realized how neurotic the peri-menopause was making me until I wasn't neurotic anymore.

I also take birth control to help regulate my suddenly wonky cycles. Some months it helps and other months not so much.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite yes to HRT. I tried for a year to suck it up, but thought I was going to loose my mind completely with the lack of sleep and mood swings! Now I take low dose prempro and I'm SO much happier. I sleep better and my moods are stabilized, as far as weight don't think its helped or hindered loss, but I now have the energy to workout consistently
  • karynspeace
    Options
    I am 39 and was put into surgical menopause. I work in healthcare. I started out with an estrogen patch to help with the instant menopause symptoms and noticed that I was having a lot of issues - the worst being hair loss and weight gain. I found a compounding pharmacist that mixes hormones based on your OWN needs, and have been quite pleased with it so far. I live in a small town and the pharmacist is 90 miles away but she mails everything I need. I would suggest looking into compounding pharmacists and HRT. Even without the surgery, the website hystersisters.com is great for HRT information.

side note: new studies out are showing that loss of estrogen is linked to dementia - the earlier you go through menopause, the sooner you "lose it" for good. Scary.