Healthy peanutbutter in Australia

inge88
inge88 Posts: 184 Member
Hi Aussies,

I hope someone out here can help me. I was wondering where to buy 'healthy' peanut butter in Australia?
I read that a lot of people add a tablespoon of PB to apples or bananas... this sounds soooo yummy. But I now have Kraft crunchy nuts PB and this is definitely not healthy! Yesterday I tried looking at Coles for healthy variations but all they had was Kraft or some PB for people that are allergic to nuts but is still high in calories. Anyone know where to buy a healthy variation?

Thanks!

Replies

• beki18
    beki18 Posts: 21
    have you tried health food stores? they sometimes have peanut butter that has no additives just peanuts, i use the woolworths home brang light about 160cal for 30g, which is still high but i love my peanut butter!!!!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Look in the health food section of the supermarkets..there are a couple of products that can replace peanut butter and much healthier for you, no additives with only nuts in them...one is ground almonds and the other is almonds, brazil and cashew nuts....give them a good stir...lots of good natural nut oils in them.

Much nicer than peanut butter and very addictive :)
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Look in the health food section of the supermarkets..there are a couple of products that can replace peanut butter and much healthier for you, no additives with only nuts in them...one is ground almonds and the other is almonds, brazil and cashew nuts....give them a good stir...lots of good natural nut oils in them.

Much nicer than peanut butter and very addictive :)

Definitely the way to go.
    If you have a food processor you can actually make your own too. Just keep blending up nuts until they turn into a paste. if it is too thick add some olive oil. Of course none of these are going to be low in calories or fat. But the aim is for it to be a healthy polyunsaturated fat.
  • Kell_5
    Kell_5 Posts: 19
    I purchase mine from my local health food shop, they make it for you while you wait. Not low in cals however very healthy used in the right way.
  • woolworth has a 'macro organic peanut butter' crunchy or smooth and i'm pretty sure the only ingredient is peanuts. You'll find this brand in their health food section.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    How about Sanitarium no added salt peanut butter? Or just blend your own peanuts in a food processor (you might need to make a large batch for it to work, unless you have a small processor).
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    How about Sanitarium no added salt peanut butter? Or just blend your own peanuts in a food processor (you might need to make a large batch for it to work, unless you have a small processor).

This is the one I eat.....So yummy............
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Sanitarium make a few variations, the healthiest would be their 100% peanuts, no added salt or sugar.
    I don't think it is quite as tasty as the ones with salt and sugar but at least I know what I'm eating - and I'm less likely to eat too much.
    You might also like to check out the health food section in the supermarket for almond spread or almond, brazil, cashew spread, they are all nuts and SERIOUSLY yummy :)

And don't get suckered in by "light" peanut butter. It might have a few less calories than regular PB but if you look at the ingredients list you'll see they just fill it up with extra sugars and unpronounceable starches. Better to eat the right amount of the real one, I think.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    I have been eating Sanitarium 100% nuts natural peanut butter. It is great - about 156 calories a tablespoon and sometimes a bit hard to resist going over, but a really good snack and makes me sooo full. I recommend it :)
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will try and look for Sanitarium today or tomorrow. Do you buy it in Woolies or will I have to find a health store around me?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    You should find it in Woolies - that's where I buy mine.
    You have to hunt up and down though, Sanitarium do at least 3 different versions and only one has no added sugar/salt. You might need to check with the peanut butter AND in the health food section.
    Once you find it, it's easy - the label says "no added salt or sugar in pretty big letters" :smile:
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    I just don't buy it becuase I love it so much lol! If its not in the cupboard I can't just grab 'one little teaspoon'. Which I would do a lot...