What is your story?

Options
perezke
perezke Posts: 45 Member
As I mentioned in a previous post I started wogging (walking and jogging) about a year ago. I enjoy doing it but I have never been fast....in fact, I often have to log my wogs as walks because my pace is soooo slow. But that is okay! I am doing this for my personal development NOT for external rewards...other than maybe a stronger, healthier body.

I have not lost a lot of weight in the last year, nor have a wogged continuously. There are weeks where I don't....but I do miss it. I am inspired by the idea that I CAN be a runner and an athlete; I CAN challenge myself by doing something that I have come to love. This was a pretty big revelation for me!

I could use a little encouragement from my MFP friends though.

Replies

• lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I have been jogging off and on for the past 2 years. I was never fast and I was trying too hard to get fast before and not making any progress. I think I was pushing myself too hard.

In the past month I have started a walk/jog program that I have been following at an easy pace as measured by my HRM. And yes, I'm slow. About 7 km/h. I can run faster than that, but when I do my heart rate is too high for it to be sustainable.

I still get frustrated that I'm so slow :(
  • KimmehL
    KimmehL Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have just started running again. I was a runner before-albeit slow, then had a silly accident, and wasn't able to run for a really long time. Anyhow, I run anywhere from 4.1 to 5.0 mph. Can't seem to get any faster than that, and honestly don't care. I have worked myself up to running 2 miles, and I feel like it takes me forever, but I am so proud of that two miles!
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've been wogging on and off for about two years. I started to get more serious about it back in August. My pace is about 3.5-4.0 which is about a 15 minute mile for me. I am 5' so my short lil legs don't help out much, lol. Right now I'm just focusing on endurance. Trying to build myself up and being able to run continuously. I run in intervals and have built myself up to running seven minutes, walking 2-3 (3 sets). I ran a 10k in 09' in 1 hour and 19 minutes, a 5k in october in 44 minutes and attempted a 10k last week. Due to several factors I only did half of it. But to make up for it I ran my own lil 10k on thanksgiving and was able to run/walk it in 1 hour and 34 minutes. I run races, not for time or awards...but just to know that I can. There is a great feeling of accomplishment when you start a race and when you finish a race. And all the runners seem to be very supportive, whether you were in the front of the pack or the end. :)
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I started wogging in the spring, and I have to tell you, I'm pretty exciting that there's even a word for what I do. My goal was to jog 1/4 of a mile during my walk. I met this goal back in September, much to my own surprise. It was then that I decided I could push myself to get in even better shape, run farther and more consistently. It was then that I started to call myelf a runner.

I need to get in better shape b/c my good cholesterol is way too low. Normal for me would be 45-49. In six months of wogging I raised my good cholesterol by 4 measley little points, from 29-33. But my doctor thinks that's a huge improvement, cutting my risk of heart disease by 8%. She also gave me the thumbs up to run as much as I want.

So, this weekend, I bought some cold weather running gear. The night I brought it home, it was too warm to wear for my run. As I was falling asleep, I could feel my muscles in my legs and abs contract like I was running, and I couldn't wait to get up and run the next day. Another turning point--now I consider myself a _serious_ runner.
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I started walking with my husband around May. We'd walk maybe a mile 2-3 times a week. Then during the summer, as part of a challenge I was in, I tried running for the first time in over 25 years. I think I made it almost 100 feet, LOL. I've slowly worked my way to wogging (love the word!) longer distances, and wogged my first 5K a couple weeks ago in 41:05!!! I want to work on jogging a complete 5K without having to walk any of it before worrying about running it faster.

My usual time is about a 13-14 minute mile. My fastest was 11:36 which triggered an asthma attack, so it will be a long time before I get there again. I usually count it as a 5 mph on MFP because my HRM gives me alot more credit than MFP does if I wog instead of walk!!!
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I've been wogging on and off for about two years. I started to get more serious about it back in August. My pace is about 3.5-4.0 which is about a 15 minute mile for me. I am 5' so my short lil legs don't help out much, lol. Right now I'm just focusing on endurance. Trying to build myself up and being able to run continuously. I run in intervals and have built myself up to running seven minutes, walking 2-3 (3 sets). I ran a 10k in 09' in 1 hour and 19 minutes, a 5k in october in 44 minutes and attempted a 10k last week. Due to several factors I only did half of it. But to make up for it I ran my own lil 10k on thanksgiving and was able to run/walk it in 1 hour and 34 minutes. I run races, not for time or awards...but just to know that I can. There is a great feeling of accomplishment when you start a race and when you finish a race. And all the runners seem to be very supportive, whether you were in the front of the pack or the end. :)

I'm glad to hear someone else who is wogging/jogging is running 10ks! I ran my first 10k this past week and out of about 3000 people I was in the last 500! I was proud of my 1:15 time and I was really proud that I ran most of it! I wasn't so proud that someone wearing jeggings (JEGGINGS!!!!) beat me :(

Anyway, my mile time is about 12:00 and I have been running since about July although I've had to take time off for various injuries along the way. I am thinking about entering a half-marathon in February and I hope I won't be last. I really thought I wouldn't be AS back of the pack at my race this week, but oh well!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started running in Jan. by using the Couch-to-5K program. I completed it in March and have run ever since.

I am seriously slow. I have 2 speeds...sprinting like a maniac for short periods or my usual slow running pace. My fastest mile ever was in the 12 minute range...but due to various issues, I basically had to start my running all over again in Sept. and I am slower now due to changing my running gait. So, now I am in the 15-16 min mile range.

I ran 5.25 miles today...took me 1 hr and 35 minutes!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    At various times I have tried wogging. In the summer when I was a member at the Y I would walk around the track to warm up then alternate jogging one lap and then walking one lap. I was able to do four jogging laps. I think that is just over half a kilometre of actual jogging then there is the walking in between and at the end to cool down. I really found it a thrill to be able to do that!

My plan is to try the couch to 5k program as soon as I get over this bronchitis. I also have to be very careful that I don't hurt my joints.

Thanks for inviting me to join!
  • jmppilot
    jmppilot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In 2004 I got sick and tired of being fat. I was approaching 40 years old, am 5' 5", and weighed 242 pounds. Not knowing what else to do, I joined Weight Watchers. After three weeks, they told me to start walking for exercise but that didn't seem macho enough for me. So I decided to run.

Those early runs were dreadful. I could barely make it a 1/2 mile and I was completely winded at the end. Yup, a whole 1/2 mile took at least an hour of lying down on the couch to recover!

But I stuck with it. I remember being very excited when I was able to run 2 miles without stopping.

In the spring of 2005, we had our first child and I reached my goal weight of 170. I did my best to keep running, but it was hit and miss to say the least (sleep deprivation will do that to you I guess). As the years wore on I ran occassionally, but never seemed to get into a regular routine.

About 2 1/2 years ago I realized that I had let all that progress slip away. I had not gained back all the weight, but enough of it to realize that it was only a matter of time until I reached the mid-200's again. So I made up my mind to actually go the the gym. I worked with a trainer and developed a rountine. It took a solid year for the 4:30 am wake-ups and 5:00 am workouts to actually seem good.

And I started running again. 1 mile, then 2, then 5K's, 10 K's, even a couple 20K's. Eventually a half marathon, then several more, and finally, about 6 weeks ago I ran my first marathon. :smile:

Now I just love to run. Yes, I am slower than some but I am faster than others. Who cares? I run for me and against me. Now I see 50 years old looming on the horizon, I have three kids under 7, and I am fit, healthy, and more energetic than dad's nearly 1/2 my age. Better yet, I am living the example of the healthy lifestyle I want my kids to learn.

My running motto (it's on the shirt I now wear to all races): Too slow to win. Too dumb to quit.
  • perezke
    Options
    Wow! This is exactly the kind of motivation/inspiration I need. Thanks for joining the group!
  • mamamiaof3
    Options
    I used a iphone app called couch to 5k to work my way up to wogging a 5k. I found it super annoying that when I did my first official 5 k I kept passing (and being passed by) a speedy walker while I was "running". I have let my exercise program slide into nothingness again so I am going to use this opportunity to join the Penguin Runners and start wogging again! :)
  • sm423
    Options
    I found it super annoying that when I did my first official 5 k I kept passing (and being passed by) a speedy walker while I was "running".

That's is too funny and it also happened to me, but at this running club I joined. I joined with a friend and it was our first day. We are 28 and there was an older lady, I would say late 50's early 60's. We planned on doing three miles and was a bit worried this lady would get left behind. We took our first walking break and turn around to check on her, she wasn't too far behind. Eventually she passed us, we passed her....and then she totally left us in the dust. It was priceless.
  • sm423
    Options
    My running motto (it's on the shirt I now wear to all races): Too slow to win. Too dumb to quit.

LOVE this!!
  • gjspiller
    gjspiller Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    love the word "wogging"...that's what i do, from time to time. i'm getting back on track. just walked for 35 minutes. but hope to increase that to more time / more mileage.

the last time i really wogged regularly was about 8 months ago. i lost some weight, felt AWESOME. then i had two accidents and injured myself and fell off the wagon.

so hear i am, getting back on. starting off with walking then back to wogging.

you guys are getting me so motivated!

g.
  • perezke
    Options
    I found it super annoying that when I did my first official 5 k I kept passing (and being passed by) a speedy walker while I was "running".

I too have been passed by speed walkers! And elderly ones at that! Ha!
  • perezke
    Options
    the last time i really wogged regularly was about 8 months ago. i lost some weight, felt AWESOME. then i had two accidents and injured myself and fell off the wagon.

so hear i am, getting back on. starting off with walking then back to wogging.

you guys are getting me so motivated!

That is the goal! We can all keep each motivated to keep moving!
  • mjawesome
    mjawesome Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm excited about this group!

I've been wogging for about 6 months. running is just my thing! I love it, its so relaxing and enjoyable. Even if I have a bad run day, I still cant help but smile afterward. I keep trying to add strength but somehow its so much harder to fit into the schedule and it's intimidating to me.

love the penguin! he is such an inspiration!

I've done one 5k and want do more but honestly my hips are killing me! I foam roll and have tried every stretch I can find and the only thing that seems to help is aleve.