So.....how slow can you go?

Options
perezke
perezke Posts: 45 Member
I hesitate to ask this question.....because I am a little embarassed..... I use my Nike+ to get an idea of how fast/slow I wog. Since I jog and walk, my average pace is around 15 min/mile (I jog around 12 and walk around 17ish). There are no jog/run settings that go that low, so I have to log it as a walk. This makes me laugh a little....but also want to improve my embarassing pace. What should I do?

Replies

• sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I run/walk about a 15 minute mile also.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I can actually run a 16 minute mile. Yes, it's true. I can seriously run the whole way and have it take that long....may not look like much of a run to other runners...but my 160-165 HR tells a different story!
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I can actually run a 16 minute mile. Yes, it's true. I can seriously run the whole way and have it take that long....may not look like much of a run to other runners...but my 160-165 HR tells a different story!

That is great! I feel like endurance is more important then speed.
  • coreymusonda
    coreymusonda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had this problem too....so what I did was run on a treadmill at 4.0mph, then on MFP I clicked on "add an exercise to the database". I entered, "Running, 4.0mph average pace" and then entered the time and how many calories I burned according to the treadmill. Now I can click on it and add different times, and it calculates the calories based on my initial entry. And, actually, when I first started using MFP, I added "Running, 3.5mph average pace" to start with!! LOL. I've improved a lot and for me, 15 min miles feels GREAT compared to 20 min miles!
  • jmppilot
    jmppilot Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Frankly your pace does not matter. One of my favorite t-shirts I saw when I ran my first half-marathon was "My 13 minute mile is just as far as your 8 minute mile." and it couldn't be more true. I have a good friend who ran 12 marathons in 12 months from October 2010 to October 2011. She told me the hardest part was not running the event. It was finding courses to run which supported a 6+ hour pace!

But if you really do want to get faster then you have to train on it by doing speedwork. Just Google running speedwork and you can find many articles on how-to.

My experience has always been that you can train to run longer (endurance) or faster, but not both at the same time. I generally do speedwork in the winter when many of my runs are indoors on a treadmill. I can easily and accurately measure and control my pace/distance. In warmer weather I like to build on endurance. By alternating it keeps me challenged and I have been able to slowly improve season after season.
  • perezke
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement/info. I am not alone...and that feels good. Now if we all just lived in the same city and could run together!
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm actually about the same -- between 12 and 15 minute miles. I tend to just go ahead and log it like I've been running 8 MPH because the calories from my HRM are close.
  • bexominglex
    bexominglex Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Getting out there and moving is the most important thing. It takes me about 2 hours to walk around the seawall at Stanley Park and that is 8 km or 5.5 miles, so my time isn't that great either. And I am tired after. But it's still *something*. 2 hours to complete 5.5 is about 21 minute mile. So I beat you all at slowness now! :)
  • seasonalvoodoo
    Options

That is great! I feel like endurance is more important then speed.

I've got the endurance down, haha...I ran 5.25 miles the other day and it took me 1 hr and 35 minutes!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    On a good day (which isnt that often, lol), I can do a mile in 14 minutes. But for the most part, I am doing a mile in 15:30 minutes and that is with no walking.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My wog pace is 14-15 min/mile. Not terrific, but much better than when I started. My original goal was to run 1/4 mile during my workout, which I can now do, albeit broken up spurts with walking in between. My current goal is to run 1/4 mile continuously, then it will be to increase the portion of my walk that is actual jogging.

I don't think the pace is as important as the fact that we are _moving_.
  • perezke
    Options
    Agreed! Wog on my friends!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    Options
    I am excited! I ran a mile in 13:00 or possibly 12:50! That is my fastest mile since I started running in Minimalist Shoes...my previous fastest time was about 12:30 in regular shoes.
  • pabrown262
    Options
    My running partner and I have matching tattos on our feet....of turtles!! We take great pride in being slow. I am training right now for my first full marathon and it is going to take me between 5 and 6 HOURS. We walk/run. We even have beepers called Gym Boss that you can set for different intervals. I usually run 3 minutes at 5.5mph and walk around 4mph. Believe it or not this is going to SPEED up your pace and burn more fat and is awesome for your heart. If you want more information on the run/walk running method check out Jeff Galloway's books. They are wonderful. Have a happy run.
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I am so loving reading this thread.. I could barely make a 17 minute mile when I started back... I am proud to say for my 4 mile wog today, I did 12.5 min/miles!! woot woot for me.

I am keeping to a very tight running schedule, really working on my endurance to compete for a 1/2 marathon on May 6th. I may wog the whole thing or just walk, but I am going to do it because, you know, I PAID FOR IT! lol.. that's right, I am motivated by not wasting my money!

If you don't have a set running schedule, or any events planned.. if you want some advice... MAKE ONE! or Make ONE UP!
    It doesn't matter if it is a 5k or a marathon, just set the goal, THEN find a running schedule to match up. Whether your walk the required miles for the day doesn't matter, just cover your distance.. for me, I simply got faster and faster...

I actually have a printed out calendar with my runs scheduled out thru May so I can compete in my 1/2 and NOT DIE. Yes, that is my goal, to NOT DIE!!

So, I'm kinda rambling, but so pleased to see the posts in this group again.. THANK YOU ALL...

btw, since I am carrying the equivalent of 5 bowling balls of extra weight for my runs.. I do give myself a break.. I am pleased to report, I am very near dropping one of those and would you guess what? the running is getting easier... it's a win win folks!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Oh, forgot to add.. great site to track running calories if you don't have a HRM! MFP only has a few selections for average time.. today mine was 4.8 so I HAD to find another resource!

http://run-down.com/statistics/calories.php
  • shibainugal
    shibainugal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I run/walk a 14-15 minute mile. Right now I am working on improving my endurance.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My wog :laugh: (I thought that was so clever/funny) right now is at 17 min mile 3.75 MPH ... I just started (day 3) c25k...
    Day 1 I went 2.12 miles in 33 min I ended up with shin splints and was out for 4 days
    Day 2 I went 1.55 miles in 25 min I iced all day no shin splints!
    Day 3 this AM I went 1.21 miles in 21 min did not jog at all only power walked

HOW can I get faster or go farther? I am out of breath with the power walk speed of today and hands on my head side sitch pain when I am wogging!! 90 sec run 90 sec walk which later turns into run 30 sec walk 3 min lol

My goals are to just be able to run the entire thing ... not have to stop and walk I dont really care if I am fast ... but how can I be able to go with out being out of breath?
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Diana,
    Good old fashioned time and training. Work your plan and you will get there. Be patient with yourself. I still have to walk at many points in my wogs.. it's all good. Just cover your distance, your body will eventually figure out it needs to get faster..

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. Hope you are well!
    c
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Its ok! So I should do the 3.2 or w.e 5K is and not do 20 min like c25k says?