When Things Don't Go As Planned

It's been several days since I have logged or posted. I honestly feel like I have fallen short of being accountable....well, because I have. This is the part that stinks about being only online--no one can say "Hey, Nikki! Log your calories!" Or, "Hey, you, why haven't you been on that treadmill?!" Well....I'm going to explain what happened when things didn't go as I had planned.

I've had issues with my joints for some time now. Occasionally they (my knees, elbows, wrists, and hips) get sore-but usually when the weather changes. I'm only 30 years old and I don't feel like this should be happening, but I haven't had the courage to go to the doctor for fear of sounding crazy (and the possible bills that would rack up with xrays and such). That being said, my knees had begun to hurt and I kept pushing through. I even started 30 Day Shred only to find out that that made my knee pain worse. I began babying my knees with heat, ice, and good ole Biofreeze (that stuff is amazing!). It's taken several days to feel better, but my knees are finally back to "normal." I know that losing weight will benefit them more than anything, but it's hard to lose weight when it hurts to move!

So....in the meantime, I bought new running shoes at a FABULOUS store that was recommended by a friend. Everyone who works at the store runs so they know their stuff, BUT--even though I am an overweight newbie they didn't make me feel like an idiot! THAT was impressive! I was willing to spend a little more to receive the attention that was given to me and my feet! So--even though I wasn't running, I still knew I would run again--I hadn't given up as I had previously. This is huge for me! TO make an investment in new running shoes equals committment to me! ;)

As if knee pain wasn't enough to deter me, I also came down with a nasty cold/cough. There was one day I could hardly move without coughing. It was yucky! Today is the first day I can talk normally in a week! (And I like to talk, so that's not easy!)

Here's the bottom line: I've not given up! I got on the treadmill this morning! I didn't run, but that's because I'm afraid to shock my system too much yet. I did walk briskly for my short little legs and I worked up a nice little sweat. I'm NOT giving up! I'm NOT letting you down! I may not finish with the goals I wanted to finish with in 9 weeks, but I'm going to finish and I'm GOING to run a 5K in the spring! I'm GOING to continue losing weight, and I'm GOING to continue to feel better about myself!

So, what happens when things don't go as planned? Well, we deal with it and we get back on track as soon as we can, keep our goals in mind, and we continue reaching toward our goals!

Replies

• gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Thx for sharing! Good for you. I am famous for giving up over the smallest thing, but I am determined as well to not get knocked off stride. I want to keep going until I feel better about myself.
  • sehein7
    sehein7 Posts: 78 Member
    GOOD FOR YOU!! :happy: Just keep going, each and every day!!

There is a new running store here that I have been wanting to check out. I have read that the right shoes make all the difference in the world for your knees. Also, I have been to the Dr for my knees and she has given me a prescription anti-inflammatory that works wonders for the pain and swelling (it took several different prescriptions to find one that really helped, but did find one-- and the med isn't expensive). The Dr also had me get some knee braces that stabilize the patella and they have really helped and they showed me some exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around the knees.
  • GOOD FOR YOU!! :happy: Just keep going, each and every day!!

There is a new running store here that I have been wanting to check out. I have read that the right shoes make all the difference in the world for your knees. Also, I have been to the Dr for my knees and she has given me a prescription anti-inflammatory that works wonders for the pain and swelling (it took several different prescriptions to find one that really helped, but did find one-- and the med isn't expensive). The Dr also had me get some knee braces that stabilize the patella and they have really helped and they showed me some exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around the knees.

I may have to check into a different anti inflammatory. I hate feeling "old!" ;)

Thanks so much for the info!!!