November 28 - NON-SCALE VICTORIES!!

Options
carolina_r
carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
NOVEMBER 28

THIS WEEK’S TASK: TAKE PICTURES!

Have you taken “before” pictures yet? If not, why not do it today! You don’t need to show them to anyone else…but having a record of what you look like wearing a bikini or bra/underwear may come in really handy months from now, so that you can really see what you have achieved.

THIS WEEK’S POLL: NON-SCALE VICTORIES!!!

The nature of MFP and losing weight keeps us looking down at the scale…Take a moment to think of at least one “non-scale” event that lets you know you are succeeding, and share it with the group!

Replies

• mrsyam
    mrsyam Posts: 10
    Options
    This might sound weird, but I had to have a c-section with my youngest due to her bring breech. Since I started actually trying to lose weight, I can actually see my scar without having to lift up the "mommy pooch". It was HORRIBLE after I had her, just awful looking.

Yeah, told ya it was a weird one. :P
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Such a great idea. I did take before pictures back in Sept when I started. I need to take some now to compare.
  • livehappe
    livehappe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Fun challenge! I can't bring myself to do bathing suit pics because my stomach is still a mess, but this is what I will do. This Friday I have a Christmas party to attend. I am going to take a picture on Friday and photoshop it alongside my highest weight photo. My face was so puffy in the before pic from last January. I know there will be a difference for sure, and that will certainly help keep me motivated to stay on track.

As for NSV- Last year at this time, I wore size 18 jeans, and size 12 shirts- last month I fit a 10 perfectly for jeans, and I can wear a size 6 blouse.. At my 40lb reward mark, I bought new workout clothes- all in size 6. I also purchased a size 6 dress for this Gala in February.... I got it about 3 months ago, and I couldn't get it to zipper. Yesterday, it zippered up and fits, but I still have work to do to make it more flattering. So- I'm pretty pumped about this NSV...

mrsyam- c-section belly and scar... I hear you. My twins were breech, and transverse, so I had my first section. I know exactly what you are talking about....but I haven't got as far as you on my waist... I can alllllmost see the scar, but not quite. Way to go!
  • may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is good. About the c-section scar, I didnt have one. However, I still have that pooch from being pregnant right there. But this morning, when I was examining myself and doing measurements, I realized that I can zip my pants, size 9, nicely. I used to not be able to zip my 11. So heck yea!

I was also proud cause when I looked at my pooch sideways... its not even as noticeable. My man even stated that I don't have my LOVE HANDLES>>>> ( I still do) but he used to say I was a WIDE LOAD. So I am proud. :)
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did take before pics. I don't think I've made much of a difference so will take a progress pic next month.

Regarding NSV, I bought new jeans(34 waist - low rise) about three months ago because I had given up being able to get into my pre preggo jeans. I realized today that my new pair of jeans are really baggy and are atleast a couple of inches too big at the waist. And surprise, I could get into my pre-preggo skinny jeans ;) Happy about that, although the scale shows I'm nowhere near pre-preg wt.
  • mrs_mcconkie
    mrs_mcconkie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband noticed that my size 11 jeans I could barely squeeze into right after having my baby 5 months ago are now falling off my butt. :D My old 9s are snug (read: nasty nasty nasty muffin top overhang, but good everywhere else!), so that's my next hurdle. Haha.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    I am LOVING reading your NSVs, ladies!!!! So exciting!

Here are some of my personal NSVs:

- stopped needing bra extenders!
    - can squeeze back into some of my pre-preg jeans (with some muffin...) I am back to pre-preg weight, but the shape is different!
    - when stretching at the end of my workout, I have started being able to reach my ankles (rather than my calves)
    - I'm actually working out! I have never been very active / athletic, so this is a biggie...
    - when showering and lathering my arms, I can feel the difference! There ARE muscles there, after all!
    - my watch fits again without leaving an impression behind...
    - my maternity jeans (which have been a staple in my wardrobe for quite some time) are too baggy!
    - I've moved several notches on my belt :)
    - my chocolate cravings are greatly reduced, and I'm eating better than I have in years

Can't wait to see what else people are seeing!! It is so important to celebrate these victories - they offer a much more complete picture than the scale alone!
  • Lisahorstkamp
    Lisahorstkamp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My NSV is to fit a size 10. The last time I was 125 I fit a 7, but knowing my body has changed I figure a 10 is a great goal and If i get the 7 more power! As of now thanksgiving killed me I gained 2 pounds since last Monday check in. Boo. Now Have to work extra hard to hit my New years goal of 141.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I really have to take some before pics, I only have some random photos, not some good body pics.

I remember the last time I lost weight several years ago and what my first NSV was. I was wearing a size 20 at the time, but my clothes had really started to fall off me, not even belts were keeping them on. So I went to lane bryant to treat my self to some nice clothes. I started trying on 18s, figuring I hadn't gone down too much. But I started getting angry, none of the clothes were fitting and I couldn't understand why. The sales lady suggested I try a size 16. They fit great, very comfortably. I burst into tears but bought 3 more pairs of pants and several shirts. All the sales ladies were happy for me too :) I practically skipped back to the car. First size 16 I had worn since I was about 12, I believe I was 25 at the time.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    I really have to take some before pics, I only have some random photos, not some good body pics.

I remember the last time I lost weight several years ago and what my first NSV was. I was wearing a size 20 at the time, but my clothes had really started to fall off me, not even belts were keeping them on. So I went to lane bryant to treat my self to some nice clothes. I started trying on 18s, figuring I hadn't gone down too much. But I started getting angry, none of the clothes were fitting and I couldn't understand why. The sales lady suggested I try a size 16. They fit great, very comfortably. I burst into tears but bought 3 more pairs of pants and several shirts. All the sales ladies were happy for me too :) I practically skipped back to the car. First size 16 I had worn since I was about 12, I believe I was 25 at the time.

Hang in there - you will feel like this again :)
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's great reading about everyone's NSVs...it is nice when we are able to not ONLY focus on the scale. I have really been working on this mindset, as I am sure some of the rest of you have discovered that when you have children you can return to the same exact weight as before having your kids and your clothes can STILL not fit!!

I haven't had any NSVs lately...or atleast that I can recognize, as I have had my weight loss stalled (until I enter in my new weight on Friday that is!) for many many months. However, in the spring, when my son was baptised I had to dress up. I got out my work clothes to see if there was something that I could make work for the event. All the clothes that I had worn in between my babies were too big! There are still many things from 'before kids' that don't fit, but it feels good to know that the 'in between kids' clothes are too big.
  • Courtney_0_0
    Options
    There are a couple, but my favorite NSV: Tossing my jeans in the dryer again! LOL It used to be drying-rack-city here, but since the 14lb drop, i can toss my jeans in the dryer (and actually hope they shrink a bit!) rather than cursing the DH when he forgets to check the wash before drying.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    There are a couple, but my favorite NSV: Tossing my jeans in the dryer again! LOL It used to be drying-rack-city here, but since the 14lb drop, i can toss my jeans in the dryer (and actually hope they shrink a bit!) rather than cursing the DH when he forgets to check the wash before drying.

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TiffanyaeBrown
    Options
    When I first got on here reducing my sugar in-take was a big goal for me. I found I was taking in 150+ grams of sugar a day!! I'm now down to about 50 grams a day, and no longer crave sweets. I can have about 10 plain m&ms and that will satisfy my chocolate craving instead of a king size chocolate bar. ;p This has also helped to even out my energy levels - I don't crash 4 or 5 times a day or get as moody.

I'm also out of my size 18 pants (pre-preggy size) and am now comfortably in a 16 and can squeeze a 14 (with the yucky muffin top. Blech!) My 'pants' goal is to get down to a size 10! :D

I have a picture from last Christmas, just before we got pregnant. Granted it was at a party, so no swim suite or anything. ;) Still, I think I'll take one today to compare. That's an awesome idea!
  • carolina_r
    Options
    When I first got on here reducing my sugar in-take was a big goal for me. I found I was taking in 150+ grams of sugar a day!! I'm now down to about 50 grams a day, and no longer crave sweets. I can have about 10 plain m&ms and that will satisfy my chocolate craving instead of a king size chocolate bar. ;p This has also helped to even out my energy levels - I don't crash 4 or 5 times a day or get as moody.

Great job conquering your sugar cravings!!! It has been my struggle as well :)
  • stritte14
    stritte14 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but wanted to share my NSV....not many people in 'real' life seem to care too much about my successes right now.

So my NSV for today is I am wearing my tiny best friend's pants. She is a good 3 or more inches shorter then me & is constantly described by others as being a little peanut of a thing. The pants....American Eagle sz 4!! Whoot whoot.
  • carolina_r
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but wanted to share my NSV....not many people in 'real' life seem to care too much about my successes right now.

So my NSV for today is I am wearing my tiny best friend's pants. She is a good 3 or more inches shorter then me & is constantly described by others as being a little peanut of a thing. The pants....American Eagle sz 4!! Whoot whoot.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!! Thanks for sharing...it just made my day!
  • LysieMae
    LysieMae Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Man, that's a great feeling, I'm sure! I got all mad the other day because I tried to put on pants that I THOUGHT were old navy size 6 or 8 but I couldn't even pull them all the way up hardly- When I can wear 8s or 10s in other brands. Turns out they were size 4s from New York and Co.! That really improved my mood!

My NSV - These size 11/12s that I bought in October (about 2 weeks before joining MFP) were sagging so hard the other day, they literally fell all the way down while I was carrying something in both hands (Luckily, I don't think anyone saw). I felt ridiculous - but awesome - and rushed out the next day to buy a belt.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I take pics regularly but no where near bikini stage yet lol.

I get my non-scale victories by how much my waist and hips shrink with the measuring tape.