My yoga practice

Options
MaryIM
MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
How long have you been practicing the Bikram series? Are you a faithful, consistent yogi?

Replies

• Nina103
    Nina103 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing yoga for over 15 years.... but recently discovered hot yoga this past July.
    I received an offer for 1 month unlimited and decided to give it a try.
    The studio offers the traditional Bikram and also the Barkan method. I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Barkan at a workshop in September. I was averaging 2 classes a week until my sister told me 'you have no cellulite on your legs'.
    I now practice 4-5 times per week and still practice hatha yoga with my husband on Friday nights.
  • MaryIM
    Options
    Barkan yoga? I haven't heard of that ... I will check it out.

I've been practicing yoga for about 8 years and the Bikram for about 3 1/2 years. Bikram came to town a couple of weeks ago and I went to his lecture. He's a facinating, flamboyant, larger-than-life personality.

My problem is that I have had lapses, where I haven't practiced. You know, I'd go along fine and then stop for a month or two. I try to practice 5 times a week. Am doing the 30 Day Challenge now and it sure helps me to focus and keep that goal of practicing everyday.
  • Nina103
    Nina103 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Barkan was one of Bikrams senior instructors for over 20 years.
    His hot yoga incorporates sun and moon salutations and vinyassa flows. The room is not as hot... maybe 5 degrees cooler.
    I like to mix up my practice. Although, Bikram is much easier on the body.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I practice Bikram average about 2 times per week. It is my yoga of choice!
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm a certified Bikram instructor, I love the hot room. I practice 2-5 times a week, depending on my schedule. I started practicing about ten years ago but have definitely had lapses in practicing - a few years when bar stools were more important than backward bending ;).

Anyway, glad to find this group! I'd love to answer any questions people may have about the practice.
  • joshduv
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just started doing Bikram yoga this past spring. It has quite literally changed my life, in terms of fitness as well as just stress levels and the way I see the world. Like most guys, I wasn't very flexible, so I love that Bikram combines cardio with strengthening exercises and stretching.

I go an average of three times a week, but this month I've been doing it approximately five times a week as a personal challenge. It's so addicting!
  • MaryIM
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm a certified Bikram instructor, I love the hot room. I practice 2-5 times a week, depending on my schedule. I started practicing about ten years ago but have definitely had lapses in practicing - a few years when bar stools were more important than backward bending ;).

Anyway, glad to find this group! I'd love to answer any questions people may have about the practice.

A certified instructor as part of the group ... awesome! Your advice and knowledge is much appreciated.
  • charlerae
    Options
    I have practiced yoga in short bursts for years... I always enjoy it but then I would slack off while preggers and it would take forever for me to get back to it... After my last child (now 4yrs old) I thought the weight would come off with casual workouts like it had in the past but somehow I am at my heaviest.
    I have always wanted to try Bikram Yoga and the best time to start is now ...I already have my space heater but no videos....any tips for a newcomer..?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Practiced kundalini yoga, but that was some time ago, and took up Bikram yoga as part of my rehab after spinal surgery. I already wanted to go last year, but had to wait until I was a bit stronger physically. Now I go everyday and it's wonderful.
  • evmullin
    Options
    I've practiced on average 3-4 times a week for the last 3 years. Do any of you also run or do another form of cardio? I'm down to my last 15 and I'm wondering if I "need" to start running as well. Thoughts?
  • MaryIM
    Options
    Good question ... since you've maintained your weight for awhile, you may need to add some cardio to get rid of those last lbs.

My personal preference is hiking -- it's easier on the feet/ankles/knees.
  • teenes
    teenes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I practice about 4 times a week (made it to 182 classes in 2011!). I started in the fall 2010 after injuring my knees from years of running.

However, since I started tracking calories, I've found it hard to eat the 'minimum' number of calories after I factor in Bikram (daily calorie goal is 1250). Anyone else have this problem? I should note here that I'm also following a 'Slow Carb' diet plan that disallows sugar, starches, fruit, dairy, etc for 6 days a week. All of my calories come from protein, veggies, beans and nuts (except for one day a week where I eat anything I want). I don't feel hungry, and really don't want to be 'making up' by eating extra calories after I get home from yoga at 10pm.

Right now I'm calculating 400 calories burned per class, and I've got 60 lbs to lose. How much do you all calculate for class?
  • MaryIM
    Options
    Hi all, I practice about 4 times a week (made it to 182 classes in 2011!). I started in the fall 2010 after injuring my knees from years of running.

However, since I started tracking calories, I've found it hard to eat the 'minimum' number of calories after I factor in Bikram (daily calorie goal is 1250). Anyone else have this problem? I should note here that I'm also following a 'Slow Carb' diet plan that disallows sugar, starches, fruit, dairy, etc for 6 days a week. All of my calories come from protein, veggies, beans and nuts (except for one day a week where I eat anything I want). I don't feel hungry, and really don't want to be 'making up' by eating extra calories after I get home from yoga at 10pm.

Right now I'm calculating 400 calories burned per class, and I've got 60 lbs to lose. How much do you all calculate for class?

Hi there,

I also have trouble eating the minimum amount of calories when I practice Bikram! My daily goal is 1,300 and I'm eating a very similar diet to what you posted. I'm estimating each class is 500 exercise calories.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on my one year Bikram anniversary next month. I found it by accident - I was looking for a yoga studio after going through a depressive episode and discovered a Bikram studio opening up on my street! Had no clue what I was getting into when I showed up!

Now I'm in love with it. I aim for practicing 3-4 times a week. Though I find what usually happens is I do that really well for a couple of weeks and then I end up missing a week or two. I'm working on stopping that!
  • trishdish11
    trishdish11 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i was first introduced to yoga in my late teens but have been more consistent with it for the past ten years. I started bikram yoga last September & am enjoying the challenge, along with listening to my body & what it needs. Currently I am 19 days into a 30 day challenge.
  • StizzyP
    StizzyP Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm about 10 months into Bikram. Never considered yoga before, but a studio opened about 5 minutes from my house and I decided to give it a try. I love the way it makes me feel, and I love the results I've enjoyed thus far. It's difficult, to say the least. for all of 2011 I was doing 4-5 a week. Travel and work has taken me away the past two months and I'm lucky to get two a week in. I want to get back to my regular schedule.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    hello!! I have done a tiny amount of yoga for the last 7 years or so, and then this quarter i joined a yoga class at my community college, we did the bikram poses (my instructor was a bikram lifer) but recently i have been to two 2 bikram classes and i already feel hooked! i have 20 classes to go to this summer, but i really want to make it a 3 time a week habit :D i feel so amazing afterward!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not faithful to Bikram. I was going often in the winter, but now the last place I want to be is in that dark stuffy room! This time of year there are a lot of free outdoor vinyasa classes that I've started going to, among other things. I'm sure I'll pick it up again in the Fall.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Since 2003, but the longest I've been consistent is two years straight. I usually do it for 3-6 months, do something else for a while and then come back.